Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littleasian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
i was wondering if anybody has been able to get ntfs support working for lion. i have an external drive that's formatted in either FAT or NTFS and when i plugged it in an error popped up saying it couldn't be mounted.

anyone else having this problem?

KiDo

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Don't know if this helps but, when i insert my FAT32 usb key it mounts and works, read/write.

I can also access my bootcamp NTFS partition, but it won't write, so i don't think NTFS support is working ;)

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
NTFS volumes do mount under Lion without any problems for me, but they are read-only (for the moment at least)

I thought Apple might include native read/write support, but I had trouble getting it to mount in read/write mode when doing it manually.

eg.

/sbin/mount_ntfs -o rw /dev/disk2s1 /volumes/ntfstest

sharpblad3

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
i have now 2 mac os partitions... one for snow leopard and one for lion...

i wonder,if i erase the one with leopard....will i be able to install the retail lion to another partition from inside lion GM ????

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability. Time will tell if this instability is corrected in Lion.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB

Nov 28, 2010
located
i have now 2 mac os partitions... one for snow leopard and one for lion...

i wonder,if i erase the one with leopard....will i be able to install the retail lion to another partition from inside lion GM ????

Why not use a USB flash memory thumb drive to clone the image onto and use that to do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?

godyourestupid

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
I have an interesting scenereo for you.. I have bootcamp installed so I can dual boot win7 and Lion. When I installed w7 I formatted in NTFS, now that I have upgraded to LION it does not recognize the partition, it complains, and VMWare no longer will connect / recognize that bootcamp.

I am stumped, does anyone have any suggestions?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I was hoping that they would have support for NTFS in Lion. But it is the same as what it was in SnowLeopard; read only. I had previously used NTFS-3G but was holding out buying the Tuxera software until Lion but now it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy Tuxera.

dxjuanchy

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
help!

So bottom line, which plug in is the best to read NTFS external hard drives with Lion? I used to have one that worked perfectly for snow leopard but now that i have Lion is just not working!

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability. Time will tell if this instability is corrected in Lion.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB

I use this... and it works... on both Lion and Snow Leopard.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
As I said above, I (and others) have had some issues with NTFS-3G (free) and I wouldn't trust my valuable data to it.
For me, Paragon NTFS has been flawless and trouble free and I would highly recommend it to everyone. I know it's not free, but it's a pretty small price.

jefftb

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Wonder why they won't mount then. I have Paragon installed too. I don't want to reformat these drives, obviously, since there is data on them.

ingerj

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
NTFS Lion

To read/write NTFS on Lion I had to delete the folder 'ufsd.fs' from /system/Library/filesystem

I installed a third party NTFS driver (Paragon 9.0.1 worked for me)

Now my NTFS drive mounts and I can read/write.

Hope that helps.

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I am quite interested in Paragon to be honest. Anyone have any idea if it is a native 64bit application/preference or 32bit? What about Tuxera? I thought Tuxera is native 64bit, isn't it?

Thanks all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.