Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TNTN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I'm looking for a truly protective backpack for my 13" Air that also has compartmentalised space for camera kit. Any suggestions greatly recieved!

I used to use my normal backpack with my 15"MBP in a standard neoprene case, but in just a couple of years it's so dented that I need something more robust for my Air!

Thanks

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I'm looking for a truly protective backpack for my 13" Air that also has compartmentalised space for camera kit. Any suggestions greatly recieved!

I used to use my normal backpack with my 15"MBP in a standard neoprene case, but in just a couple of years it's so dented that I need something more robust for my Air!

Thanks

Get a Booq Vyper and just throw that into any bag you want. I dropped my last Air several times inside the case and nothing happened. No scratches, even, when I sold it.

TNTN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I thought the Booq Viper looked a bit too fiddly to get the computer in and out - enough that I'd probably stop using it.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks

I use a Lowepro Classified sling 180aw. It holds my canon 7d with 24-105 lens mounted, tokina 11-16mm, 50 1.8, macro kit, 430ex ii flash, mba 13 (although a bit tight), laptop charger and portable itb hard drive.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Lowe pro do a good range and so do Crumpler.

I've been through a few camera/laptop bags and the Lowepro Fastpack 200 I currently have has no separate laptop comparment (I had a large, heavy Sony laptop at the time), however the larger models in the range do. The great thing about these Fastpacks is that you can draw the camera from a side flap in the bottom compartment without taking your pack off. Far easier. The top compartment is good for carrying chargers, snacks etc - larger models might even be good enough as an overnight bag.

I like the styling (and names) of the Crumpler range more but have yet to see a side loading camera/laptop backback.

Just be careful to think about what you want/need and how you want to use yoyr bag as different styles serve slightly different purposes. Don't buy without trying. I rejected a couple in the store as they weren't as good as my reserach had suggested. To my mind, having to take a bag off your back just to get your camera out is a no-no.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
My old 15 pre-solid body was so dented, it looked like it was in a crash derby. :)

Look at the rugged zipper cases as mentioned (one being Thule), as to back packs, the amount of camera gear and how you shoot is a consideration. Think Tank photo furnishes several back packs. Pricey, but they have features that separate them from the rest. One is the Streetwalker Hard Drive; another is the ShapeShifter. There are others. Here is the back pack section of the site: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-backpacks.aspx

TNTN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
My old 15 pre-solid body was so dented, it looked like it was in a crash derby. :)

Look at the rugged zipper cases as mentioned (one being Thule), as to back packs, the amount of camera gear and how you shoot is a consideration. Think Tank photo furnishes several back packs. Pricey, but they have features that separate them from the rest. One is the Streetwalker Hard Drive; another is the ShapeShifter. There are others. Here is the back pack section of the site: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-backpacks.aspx

This Thule one looks good - concerned it takes 'up to 17" MBP" though - wouldnt'a 13" Air rattle around?

Also, not been 100% honest, I don't need a camera bag per se, I just need a bag with compartments to hold various tools etc. that I use for work.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
This Thule one looks good - concerned it takes 'up to 17" MBP" though - wouldnt'a 13" Air rattle around?

Also, not been 100% honest, I don't need a camera bag per se, I just need a bag with compartments to hold various tools etc. that I use for work.

Made for 13 MBP: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H3422LL/A?n=sleeves&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjAzNDE3NTg&s=topSellers

Don't know how it will fit the Air, though. There'll be room but probably not too sloppy. It's a play in case that is rugged and has a water resistant zipper. I have one for my MBP and had to use the laptop on a construction site, laying it on a rough wooden scaffold. No problems. I got it because I wanted to avoid a banged up MBP after my prior one looked all crashed into. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.