Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I just picked up an 11" yesterday and I also have another 11" from a month ago.. Lion seems to be ok.. BUT the NEW mail looks like IPAD mail.. SL mail is much more easier to use... I guess im not one for change but LOVE change in a good way.. this mail is terrible.. Anyone else feel the same way about LIONS mail system????

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Yeah, your definitely in the minority. The new mail is so much cleaner, conversation view is awesome and it's much improved overall. If you don't like it, you can revert back to the old style in the settings.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
New Mail.app > old Mail.app.

There are a few things the new Mail.app does without plugins/add-ons vs. the old Mail. And if you don't like the new Mail, you can always revert to the old style.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
The new mail is definitely a cleaner look and very easy to adapt to for me since I was an IOS user before a Mac user. However you can always revert to classic style if you really do find it unacceptable

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Can't disagree more strongly. Merges everything that was great about the iPad client and the original Mac client. Current Lion app is better than both IMO.

Also, shouldn't this be in a different area of the forum? Somewhere for the OS talk rather than the Macbook Air. This is a question/statement/complaint relevant to anyone with Lion.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I just picked up an 11" yesterday and I also have another 11" from a month ago.. Lion seems to be ok.. BUT the NEW mail looks like IPAD mail.. SL mail is much more easier to use... I guess im not one for change but LOVE change in a good way.. this mail is terrible.. Anyone else feel the same way about LIONS mail system????

No, I think its brilliant. Once I reenabled the sidebar I found the layout to be much nicer. But then again, I am using it on an iMac 27 inch display.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
You can make it look exactly like Snow Leopard Mail.app by going Preferences -> Viewing -> Use Classic Layout. Then you can get your mailboxes list back on the left by clicking the 'Show' button under the Get New Mail button.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I'm with the OP. Hate the new mail. Yeah, you can get it to be useful through the classic settings, and changes, but that's a hassle. Glad you only have to go through it once.

Who's bright idea was it to nest e-mail threads together. God, I hate that.

McRCN

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Virginia
New mail looks promising, but it will take an adjustment.

Noticed they dropped the Bounce option in Lion.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
New mail app is 1,000x better than the old one. Was just looking for a 3rd party app when Lion came out. I love the new mail client.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The new Mail 5.0 app's search function doesn't work, at least not for me. One of my dedicated mailboxes and a rule to match collects all email notifications from my public library telling me that book a I had reserved is ready for pickup. Heretofore, simply typing in part of the author's name would display every email for that author. That's important because several hundred emails are collected in that mailbox. Alas, the search function doesn't work anymore. I called Apple Care this morning and the tech agreed. He has submitted the problem as a bug report to Apple's engineers.

I didn't like Mail 5.0's new user interface, either, and reverted to the classic view. That helped but it didn't help enough.

Another problem I have had with Lion is that I have to force quit Chrome about two-thirds of the time. Apple has a lot of work to do on Lion.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Give it a chance. I hated it at first as it's rather different, and I was used to the SL app which worked fine.

Then I noticed the conversation organization and this alone is worth the price of admission.

It's much better than the old one. Just painful to adjust :D

Note: this is a rather substantial upgrade of OS X it seems. There are a lot of cool features, many I haven't noticed. We are creatures of habit, and change is usually unwelcome, and we often resent the thought of others changing things 'for our own good'. We are suspicious of intentions, and motivations, but mostly it's the work involved. Have you noticed that I just like to hear myself talk and am saying absolutely nothing? :D

NurJahan

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Does anyone know how I can make the mail truly "conversation style" like in Gmail? i.e. with the emails I wrote included in the flow? Kind of like a chat window, so that I can see what I wrote, and how people responded back to me?

Thanks

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I don't have an issue with the new layout, rather indifferent actually. It does look like iPad based mail. But I think it really depends on how you use Mail.

For me, I always like the list of folders to show up, even if I never actually go into them. This is because it's natural for me to see the folder list; all webmail apps that I've ever used have shown them, and Outlook does as well. So hiding it by default was a little annoying, showing them again put me back at ease.

"Smart Names" or whatever is also troublesome, I made sure to disable that when I first loaded it. I like to see name and email because unfortunately, if you just show names, you can't really tell whether it's a valid sender or not. It might say "Chase Online" but really be coming from some guy in Africa.

Lastly, I like to see all recipients, To/CC, without having to request that info. So I enabled that.

Ultimately, it's mail. Doesn't have to be fancy. For times when I need more out of it I'll just go to Gmail until they bring back offline Gmail.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I'm really surprised much I like it in fullscreen. I've been put off by fullscreen thanks to Apple's previous efforts with apps on Snow Leopard (iPhoto, Aperture etc) but the native fullscreen on Lion is awesome. I love having the whole screen for my Mail and just swiping across to it when I need to.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
My biggest problem with the new mail is my inability to change the size of the font in the column that lists what's in my inbox. I can do that in the classic mode, so with some regrets, I've gone back to that. I'd love to be able to use the new mail, but that font is too small for me.

kchase2

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Totally in agreement

I think this is the worst email client Apple has ever produced...they assume so much...and if you do that then at least give us the ability to customize freely the way we want it...this is Apple being Microsoftish...your Macers are loyal..give them what they really want

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Not sure why your posting about Mail in an Air forum, but meh.

I do agree though. It is just as awful as the previous version.

Outlook 2011 is easily the better email client on Mac. Wasn't too great at first, but since all the updates its much more stable.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I think this is the worst email client Apple has ever produced...they assume so much...and if you do that then at least give us the ability to customize freely the way we want it...this is Apple being Microsoftish...your Macers are loyal..give them what they really want
I agree. See my earlier post, No. 14. The search function in the new mail app doesn't work.

Booch21

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Call it strange, but on the iPad, I can deal with the mail in that setup, but on the Mac, it is harder to work with for me. I went to classic mode, which is how all of my computer based e-mail programs look, Outlook at work included. I do notice that the conversation feature still works in classic mode. Use what works for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.