Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc. Caliban

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
This may be known, but until very recently I have not found the solution anywhere online, and the problem of not being able to connect to my Lion MBA via VNC has been driving me nuts since about DP2 o3 DP3.

I found a workaround the other night and wanted to share it:

On your Mac, log out of your user account. You will now be able to connect via VNC from Windows, and probably any other non-Mac platform.

Apparently being logged out first allows the VNC client to make the connection without having to run into the new multi-user connection functionality of the Lion server. I'm sure that VNC clients will update before long to deal with that, but until then, this works perfectly.

Keep in mind that if you disconnect the remote session without logging out of the Mac account first (remotely, of course) you will not be able to reconnect until you go to the Mac and manually log out again. A small price to pay for the otherwise full VNC functionality.

-Doc

cokecan69

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Another tidbit, if you are using RealVNC to connect, you must use the highest color setting.

omacox

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
VNC Works if you change these setting

This is what I did to access VNC on my iMac!

At first I would get the login screen on the iMac. But it would freeze and I was unable to enter the login password.

So I went searching and found this post!

Then I start playing with the settings!
This is what I found!

I'm using VNC View 4 (RealVNC)

Misc Tab
Uncheck "Shared connection (do not disconnect other viewers)
Uncheck "Only use protocol version 3.3"

Default Tab
Save as default

Then run VNC view and I enter the password to authenticate.

The Lion login screen appears and I'm able to enter the login password.

I'm at the same time logged into the iMac locally so I seen the desktop just like I always have.

This mean I just have to enter my password twice to get in!

Have a great day!

OldDeveloper

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Funny, I've never had a problem with it at all under Lion.

What I do is a Connect to server under finder.

Then for the server I enter vnc://(servername) or (ip)

Screen Sharing comes straight up. Now option-click and drag on the icon in title bar and drag it somewhere. It will create a VNC shortcut to that server whereever you dragged it.

omacox

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
I left out this setup info on the iMac

One thing I did was to switch from remote management to Screen sharing and it worked. Then I changed it back to remote management and set only one user!
Again it works ok!

But if I turn on multi user in VNC it won't let me enter the password on the login screen on the iMac.

I access my iMac though a VPN to my home office network from my Windows Notebook using RealVNC!

Your suggestion works great from my Mac mini server to my iMac.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I can access the Lion VNC server via a client that allows use of the account's user name and password; on an iPad you can use Remoter VNC to do this. On a Mac, Jolly'sFastVNC allows you to as well.

I can also access it over the internet via the Apple Screen Sharing application IF I'm logged into the remote Lion computer using ShareTool, which is a SSH connection; it too allows a a log on with the username and password.

Rob

Kadorkin

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
Check no dialogs are open

I use Real VNC with no login problems to access my Mac Mini from Windows. I did get the inability to log in as described, but I found it was because I had rebooted the Mac and one of the bits of software I had not yet registered was waiting on a dialog box in the background. As soon as I cleared the dialog box I was able to log in via VNC with no problems. As others said - it only works on highest resolution.

dwmusic

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Lion and VNC

Logging out allows reconnection with a dropped VNC server handshake, but this renders the iPad entirely unsuitable for professional applications. I work in recording where audio and video samples can take up to an hour to reload each time dropped VNC disconnects the iPad forcing me to log out, reconnect VNC and then log back in again, meaning the iPad is useless as a VNC controller, the very reason I bought it in the first place.

It appears Apple don't intend to fix this and regard it as a 'feature', even though hundreds of developers have complained.

I then turned to Vine VNC which does allow reconnection without a logout. However Cmd modifiers all have to be remapped to Alt (Windows equivalent), and TAB doesn't work at all. Moreover, Esc doesn't behave consistently with the QWERTY Esc - it will unselect selected objects OK, and close edit fields, but it won't activate Cancel buttons on dialogs, only the QWERTY Esc will do that, or the Apple VNC.

The Apple VNC gives the best performance, but the requirement to log out and log back in again is a death sentence for the whole iPad+VNC controlling system for me.

Have to see if I can return the iPad.

Ecphotographer

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
iSSH seems very resilient vnc client on the iOS for the bug in OSX lion's vnc server. I've had no problems with it vs. the real vnc on the pc or the mocha vnc client on the iOS.
Its has some great features (extra keys, right clicks, rdp, terminal & ssh tunnels just to mention a few)

Anyhow, i've had no issues using this client to reconnect periodically, as needed. Just now tried to use the newest real vnc which crashed the vnc server & fast usr switching after multiple remote logins. iSSH still let me in to safely reboot (albeit, there was some hangs on the desktop, i couldn't even switch user at the local machine - iSSH still worked.

For sure apple needs to fix this, but look for a client which supports the user login feature (not just the vnc server password)

EC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.