Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I currently have a MBA 256GB and am wondering if I should exchange for a 128GB. I'm curious why you guys chose a 256GB over a 128GB when there's external storage and now cloud storage available to hold everything. Please don't reply with you chose 256GB because of the i7 processor as that doesn't relate to storage capacity.

I'm debating whether or not if I should just regain back $400 going from an i7 256GB to an i5 128GB.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I originally wanted a 256GB for the 11, but after seeing the $300 price tag I got to thinking and the only reason I really needed the extra space was to partition Windows 7 comfortably. Other then that I don't see much reason to go for the 256 GB version based on the reasons you have already stated.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I think the obvious answer is because the 256GB SSD is much larger internal storage capacity. Being an internal SSD makes it much faster than the USB2.0 speeds.

Not sure what answer you were hoping for.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I originally came from a 512 and I have over 100GB of iTunes and over 170GB of photos/videos...while I can't keep all that stuff on the MBA I like to know I can move stuff over and around with plenty of room when I want...

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I would generally prefer to buy a top spec in everything. In most of things I just can not afford it.

With MBA I could, hence I bought the top spec.

Other than that there was no other reason.. I don't think I'll use more than 100GB of storage on my notebook in a foreseeable future...

Macalaka

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Virtual Machines(Production and Test) was my reason. Loading them off of an SSD is F A S T compared to loading them off of a USB External SATA Drive.

Plus you never know when you might need that extra space.
:)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I chose the 256GB model.

I had the 128GB model from 08 for nearly 3 years. I was able to make it work. It was usually about 75% full. I had a good routine of moving old files and projects to the Mac Pro to make room when needed.

I figured that since I was upgrading I would give myself the extra room. My needs continue to grow I didn't want to limit myself. I plan to keep the laptop at least 3 years.

NCMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Multiple VM environments was my main reason as well. Felt restricted on my 128GB drive .... now not so much on the 256 :D

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
I currently have a MBA 256GB and am wondering if I should exchange for a 128GB. I'm curious why you guys chose a 256GB over a 128GB when there's external storage and now cloud storage available to hold everything. Please don't reply with you chose 256GB because of the i7 processor as that doesn't relate to storage capacity.

I'm debating whether or not if I should just regain back $400 going from an i7 256GB to an i5 128GB.

You stated all my reasons. I have a portable external drive for iTunes, and with cloud storage I will gain another 5GB.

The SSD is upgradeable and that $400 may buy you more in a year or two than it does now.

BTW..LOVING MY AIR!

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I actually went the other way. I have a 2010 13" and am in the middle of selling it for a 11" model with the 128GB SSD. I got the 13" Ultimate thinking I would use it all and have two copies basically of my iTunes library, but after having my iMac for a while, all my media stays on that and on my phone, so all my music I don't have to carry around with me on a laptop.

That and the $300 price difference made my decision a little easier to go with the smaller drive. That way, it really makes me monitor what I save, that way I don't just hoard everything like I do on my iMac.

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I don't have a very large iTunes library as my music take up about 23GB of space. I currently have used 60GB of space after having all of my typical programs and files on the SSD, so I would have about 68GB free on a 128GB version. I believe the rest would just be for more music and any extra programs but I'm not sure what I would fill it up with. Any documents can easily be stored in the cloud.

I think I'll just go to an i5 128GB as I'd like to have $400 more in my pocket. Like Spankey said, the SSD is upgradeable and if I feel like I really need to upgrade in the future, I'll purchase a 256GB SSD. Newegg already has a Samsung one for $420. I wonder how much it would be in a year.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I chose 128 because I couldn't justify the $300 jump.

I have about 33.99 GB free. Once it gets filled I'll erase my iTunes and start using Spotify.

I don't know if that will err happen since this is just for on the go, music, office, etc.

Not going to be storing everything from my iMac on here.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I chose 128 because I couldn't justify the $300 jump.

I have about 33.99 GB free. Once it gets filled I'll erase my iTunes and start using Spotify.

I don't know if that will err happen since this is just for on the go, music, office, etc.

Not going to be storing everything from my iMac on here.

I'll be using my MBA as my primary computer, so I need the extra storage space. Plus, 256GB is a bit of future proofing for me not to have to mess with the drive now. PLUS, it would be more expensive to install a 3rd party drive with the same space, with less compatibility compared to the Apple SSD. Once I move my iPhoto library off-drive to an external, I might be in a better position, but I still like the fact that I've got a big SSD to fill up with Apps when I need to.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
It's simple: because 128gb nowadays are absolutely nothing. You should consider the following:

- is your iTunes library bigger than, say, 10gb?
- will you be watching movies and TV shows on the go?
- do you take a lot of pictures in JPEG or even RAW format?
- will you be installing another OS using Parallels or Bootcamp?

if you answer any of these questions with "yes", you'll more than likely want the 256gb version.

Also, consider the re-sale value: 128gb SSDs are already small by today's standards. Two years down the road, you'll find it very hard to get rid of a computer with only 128gb of storage.

Peter

Last edited:

vow

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I have a 128GB 2010 MBA (selling next week!) and I was always struggling to have at least 10-20GB of free space. Three reasons as to why I chose 256GB over 128GB:

1) I have one Win 7 VM for development so there goes 27GB
2) I download quite a bit and always had to move things over to a USB HD
3) After photo sessions, I'm dumping my pictures into lightroom. If I make edits in Photoshop and save it back into LR, it can end up adding a 300MB+ PSD file and space starts to run out very quick. I would then have to transfer to a USB HD and hope the HD doesn't disconnect while working on pictures

After performing a migration assistant to the new MBA, I now have 150GB to free space to play with. That should help out #3 tremendously :D

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
It's simple: because 128gb nowadays are absolutely nothing. You should consider the following:

- is your iTunes library bigger than, say, 10gb?
- will you be watching movies and TV shows on the go?
- do you take a lot of pictures in JPEG or even RAW format?
- will you be installing another OS using Parallels or Bootcamp?

if you answer any of these questions with "yes", you'll more than likely want the 256gb version.

Also, consider the re-sale value: 128gb SSDs are already small by today's standards. Two years down the road, you'll find it very hard to get rid of a computer with only 128gb of storage.

Peter

Thank you for your informative response... unlike some other immature ones. :rolleyes:

vijayvasa

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
I have a 256gb air as well, but in UK its 250 pounds less for a 128gb version.Really really confused if I should keep this one or exchange. I already have a 2TB sony pc. So, not sure. In a way reading all these forums to know others opinions.

VJ

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I went for the 128gb model as I decided that's all I would need, but I'm starting to wonder if that was a mistake. I couldn't really justify £200 extra for the 256Gb model. I'm sure I'll make it work.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I bought at 13" MBA to replace a 5 year old C2D MacBook Pro. The MBP had a 120 GB harddrive that I was always on the verge of filling (continually had to shunt things off to an external drive or just delete).

I figured I might keep this MBA for another 5 years, and I didn't want to be fighting against storage space from day one. To me, that justified the $300 expense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.