Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

korkor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
contemplating to upgrade or stay with 2010 macbook air and wait for the 2012 macbook air 11" with ivy bridge?

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is aleady a thread for this.

No one can tell you what to do really. A few will say that the 2011 is totally worth it, others will claim that there is a redesign next year and to not buy it.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Waiting for the next great revision can lead you to not buying anything, period. Before Ivy Bridge actually ships, Intel will be talking about their next version, which will be "super, great, better, faster, better looking".

semitry

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
If you can wait, wait. The difference between the 2010 and 2011 in usage is pretty minor for most everyday usage. I'm a developer who uses the air as my main machine and have hardly noticed a increase in performance between the base 2010 13' and ultimate 2011 13'.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
IMO you should wait.

The move to Ivy Bridge will be more significant than the move from 1st Gen to 2nd Gen Core I.

If you wait and buy next year then you will get more power for your money.

tranmillitary

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
WAIT... WAIT FOR THE 2013 ULTRA BRIDGE.... don't buy this years or next.. or better yet wait for the 2014 optimus Bridge... 10 cores... with a GTX 580 built in the CPU..

I'd wait if i were u..

All these topics should be locked mods... obviously every year there's gonna be a better version. you're acting like people here have the inside scoop on Intel. THE IVY BRIDGE ISN'T EVEN MADE YET, they are working on the sandy bridge E with 6-8 cores. How the hell are we gonna compare something that isn't even made?? I might as well compare apple and oranges for you too..

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
If you can wait, wait. The difference between the 2010 and 2011 in usage is pretty minor for most everyday usage. I'm a developer who uses the air as my main machine and have hardly noticed a increase in performance between the base 2010 13' and ultimate 2011 13'.

One of the few, sane replies I've seen regarding this issue in these forums. The fact your post has been marked down makes me think this message board is susceptible to hyperbole.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
contemplating to upgrade or stay with 2010 macbook air and wait for the 2012 macbook air 11" with ivy bridge?

If the 2010 Macbook Air is enough processing power, then you should stay with it. Its graphics are approximately on par with the 2011 Macbook Air, its processing power is a fair bit worse... and otherwise it's very, very similar.

Do one of the following:

1) Sell your Air now for as much as possible and switch over. This may be more sensible.

2) Keep your Air and see what the next Air has to offer. Remember... we're not guaranteed a refresh in 1 year from now. It could be out in Q4 of 2012 or even Q1 of 2013 (who knows?). Apple is smart about their hardware choices (usually).

Side-note: I hope the next-gen Macbook Airs (particular the 11-inch model) come with better battery life. I'm going to be buying the external battery device that is offered for the Air by some website... alongside the Airport adapter it'll cost me probably $300 once taxes and s&h are all taken into consideration... but it will most definitely be worth it! Extra 10+ hours on the Air = awesome for traveling. Somewhat defeats the purpose of having an ultra thin ultraportable... but it's good in a backpack or in a car (I usually have one or the other when I need battery life on the go).

korkor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Appreciate it much PaulWog. Now have to sell my MBA... :D

If the 2010 Macbook Air is enough processing power, then you should stay with it. Its graphics are approximately on par with the 2011 Macbook Air, its processing power is a fair bit worse... and otherwise it's very, very similar.

Do one of the following:

1) Sell your Air now for as much as possible and switch over. This may be more sensible.

2) Keep your Air and see what the next Air has to offer. Remember... we're not guaranteed a refresh in 1 year from now. It could be out in Q4 of 2012 or even Q1 of 2013 (who knows?). Apple is smart about their hardware choices (usually).

Side-note: I hope the next-gen Macbook Airs (particular the 11-inch model) come with better battery life. I'm going to be buying the external battery device that is offered for the Air by some website... alongside the Airport adapter it'll cost me probably $300 once taxes and s&h are all taken into consideration... but it will most definitely be worth it! Extra 10+ hours on the Air = awesome for traveling. Somewhat defeats the purpose of having an ultra thin ultraportable... but it's good in a backpack or in a car (I usually have one or the other when I need battery life on the go).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.