Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Hello all you geniuses...

My friends iBook suddenly went dead... At startup the screen just showed strange colored stuff. Then we tried starting it up in target mode connected to my pb, but after the startup doonnng-sound the screen just stayed black and it never turned up on my desktop.

At startup we just get doonnng and then absolutely nothing except one time when the cd-drive opened up?!?

She tells me that earlier today that while it was asleep in her bag on her way to school it had heatet up ver, very much!

Anything to do before she brings it to the shop for repairs?

A

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
It's almost certainly a dead logic board. If it's under three years old it's covered by Apple as it's a known defect in the G3 white ibooks. I don't speak Danish but I think this is the link you need.

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
Sound suspiciously like the logic board. Ive had 3 replaced. Is it a G3 ibook. If so how old cos it could be covered under apples extended warranty on this defect. Check apple's website for this

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Thank you very very much... my friend feels quite releaved by your calming words, that it is a known and relatively uncomplicated (?) issue that apple will probably take care of.

Is there any way to get data out of it before the logic board has been changed, though... she's got a small exam thursday?

well, thanks again and, caveman, respect to your danish skills ;)

A

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Yep, sounds like the logic board to me. Join the club. I've been through 4 logic boards and for several of them, Apple has replaced the optical drive as well. The second time I had it replaced, the optical drive wouldn't stay shut before the board finally died. I don't understand how this relates to the logic board but seems to be a factor in this machine.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
At least in the US, the Logic Board Repair program lasts until March 18th, 2005 or 3 years. Whichever one provides longer coverage.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
mcadam said:
Is there any way to get data out of it before the logic board has been changed, though... she's got a small exam thursday?
Probably not, sorry. Not without removing the harddrive and sticking it in a firewire enclosure. That would void your warranty and isn't something you'd probs want to do anyway - there's an awful lot of laptop to take apart to get to it.
well, thanks again and, caveman, respect to your danish skills ;)
Thanks. There's a lot of people 'round here who recognise those symptoms only too well. My ibook died in much the same way. I've only had one new logic board so far. The replacement has lasted well over 17 month so far. I'm getting rid of this machine before the Applecare runs out though ;)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
caveman_uk said:
Probably not, sorry. Not without removing the harddrive and sticking it in a firewire enclosure. That would void your warranty and isn't something you'd probs want to do anyway - there's an awful lot of laptop to take apart to get to it.
If it is indeed the logic board, couldn't she boot in Target Drive mode? I remember reading in a post that iBooks with the logic board problem could still boot into Target mode.

If that's possible, someone else with a Mac could help her get stuff off of the hard drive.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
ftaok said:
If it is indeed the logic board, couldn't she boot in Target Drive mode? I remember reading in a post that iBooks with the logic board problem could still boot into Target mode.
The original post said they'd tried that and it hadn't worked.

I don't know about other posters but seeing as how the logic board is dead and the harddrive has to use the logic board as a firewire bridge I can see how it mightn't work.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
ftaok said:
I remember reading in a post that iBooks with the logic board problem could still boot into Target mode.

Correct, it's entirely possible. In fact, I did it when my iBook logic board died.

Find another OS X machine with FireWire. Plug the iBook into it with the FireWire cable, then hold down 'T' while booting it. The iBook will show up as a disk on the desktop of the Mac it's conected to. Backup all your data, and you should be all set.

edit sorry, just read your post again. If it doesn't show up on your desktop, try logging out and then back in again. If that doesn't work, try restarting your machine.
I was defintitely able to get mine to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.