Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
My iPhone 4's earpiece volume has gotten really quiet over the past couple of weeks. I've got it maxed out, but it is still incredibly quiet. It has always been quiet, but never this quiet. Volume is fine with headset.

Checked the earpiece for dirt etc, looks fine. My warranty ran out last month too..

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Have you tried seeing if it has anything to do with the volume set on iTunes is too low?

iTunes -> choose all songs clicking cmd+a -> click cmd+i to access options -> options and drag the sound bar all the way to the right

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Have you tried seeing if it has anything to do with the volume set on iTunes is too low?

iTunes -> choose all songs clicking cmd+a -> click cmd+i to access options -> options and drag the sound bar all the way to the right

Has nothing to do with the phone/earpiece

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio

That wouldn't help, he's talking about the earpiece on the phone, not the phone speakers.

OP, it might be just the speaker in the earpiece is going bad. Do you have an apple store you could visit that is close?

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
OP, it might be just the speaker in the earpiece is going bad. Do you have an apple store you could visit that is close?

One that is an hour or so away, but my warranty is out. There's a couple of authorised resellers in town, I might pop in there first and see what they say.

I've stripped down a friend's iPhone 4, so if a new earpiece would work, then I could do it myself (think the earpiece's sell online for a few bob), but would rather avoid having to go that route.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
One that is an hour or so away, but my warranty is out. There's a couple of authorised resellers in town, I might pop in there first and see what they say.

I've stripped down a friend's iPhone 4, so if a new earpiece would work, then I could do it myself (think the earpiece's sell online for a few bob), but would rather avoid having to go that route.

Yeah go to an authorized reseller and see what they say

lovelady007

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
My iPhone 4's earpiece volume has gotten really quiet over the past couple of weeks. I've got it maxed out, but it is still incredibly quiet. It has always been quiet, but never this quiet. Volume is fine with headset.

Checked the earpiece for dirt etc, looks fine. My warranty ran out last month too..

Even if the screen looks clean, try this. Take push pin, needle, etc... and drag it gently across the metallic screen that is above the internal speaker row by row - then blow off any flakes of material that come free. I did this on my 3GS and my volume went back up to normal. Seems like sweat, moisture, and other junk can accumulate below the screen and by bending the wires slightly with the pin you can break that stuff free. Good luck!

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah go to an authorized reseller and see what they say

Took it to my local one and they don't service iPhones because they don't sell them. I'll be near an Apple Store next week, so I'll take it in then, see what they say. It's out of warranty, but given that the phone is in perfect condition (i.e. no accidental damage) maybe they'll be sympathetic.

Even if the screen looks clean, try this. Take push pin, needle, etc... and drag it gently across the metallic screen that is above the internal speaker row by row - then blow off any flakes of material that come free. I did this on my 3GS and my volume went back up to normal. Seems like sweat, moisture, and other junk can accumulate below the screen and by bending the wires slightly with the pin you can break that stuff free. Good luck!

Yeah, my plan was to take the whole phone apart and clean out the ear piece and check the pins for the ear piece. I'll stop by Apple first, see if they'll do anything since I'm a month out of warranty, if not, DIY it is.

My friend's iPhone 4 is probably 3 times louder than mine.

bad1550

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
I just picked up new iPhone 4 from Verizon and noticed earpiece volume is low also.

My previous android phone volume was much louder.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Finally got round to taking it into the Apple Store. They replaced it (even though it was a few weeks out of warranty).

Now it's about 10 times as loud! I have to turn it down!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.