Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Hi, yesterday, I upgraded from SL to Lion on my 2010 MacBook Air, and have decided to switch to Safari as my primary browser. I am now in the process of visiting sites to login and save passwords. I have checked "user names and passwords" in Safari's Preferences Autofill tab. When visiting some sites, Safari asks if I want to save my password. I click yes, and all is well. However, when visiting some other sites (so far only forums, including here on Macrumors.com) it doesn't even ask to save them. I have tried manually imputing these passwords in Keychain, but to no avail.

Is anyone else experiencing this/ has anyone experienced this before? I would be beyond grateful if anyone has a solution! I am enjoying the new Safari and would hate for this to stand in the way.

Thanks!

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
It's hit and miss for me as well.
I highly recommend an app called 1password. It can integrate with Safari and it's also available for iOS for keeping all your devices in sync.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
It's hit and miss for me as well.
I highly recommend an app called 1password. It can integrate with Safari and it's also available for iOS for keeping all your devices in sync.

Eh, not looking to use a third-party app if I can help it. I should have included that. I am sure there is a solution- I don't think everyone here has a problem with Safari saving their MacRumors password, do they? Wonder what is wrong with our particular settings. Thank you anyway.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Sorry to be a pain, but I've gotta bump this.

I'm guessing this must be the case -
Does everyone's Safari 5.1 save their MacRumors password okay? : /

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'd really like if a single user could post here whether or not they are having this issue- if not, just say you are not please. I am trying to understand if this is normal behavior for Safari or a particular issue with my machine. Does MacRumors passwords and other forums save on your Safari 5.1 running on Lion?

markjwarren

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
Safari 5.1 definitely has some issues; none of my passwords or usernames are autofilling since I updated and I'm not even getting the option of "Safari remembering" them. Hopefully Apple are going to fix this bug ASAP cos its a right royal pain in the arse.

The issue is definitely with Safari cos Im running Lion on my laptop and snow leopard on my iMac and have the same issue on both.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Safari 5.1 definitely has some issues; none of my passwords or usernames are autofilling since I updated and I'm not even getting the option of "Safari remembering" them. Hopefully Apple are going to fix this bug ASAP cos its a right royal pain in the arse.

The issue is definitely with Safari cos Im running Lion on my laptop and snow leopard on my iMac and have the same issue on both.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for replying- I feel a little relieved that it seems to be Safari 5.1 and not a system error on my part. Then again, if it was a widespread bug, I wonder why only a couple of people have posted here. Oh well, I guess we'll see in 5.2

JPS

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
Same here. Discussed it with an Apple tech over the phone. He suggested I reset the PRAM. Didn't help. I have to log in to Facebook and most other sites almost every time I visit them, often multiple times in a day.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Same here. Discussed it with an Apple tech over the phone. He suggested I reset the PRAM. Didn't help. I have to log in to Facebook and most other sites almost every time I visit them, often multiple times in a day.

What did the so called Apple tech say about how the PRAM did corrupt bad programming in safari? :rolleyes:

JPS

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
I'm not quite understanding your question: "how the PRAM did corrupt bad programming".

I'd called Apple about another issue, which was promptly fixed, and happened to mention the Lion/Safari login problems I and others have been having. Having established that I'd performed a Keychain First Aid scan-and-repair (there were no detected issues), he thought resetting the PRAM might be worth a try.

It didn't hurt, but then, again, it didn't help. Clearly a glitch Apple needs to address.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
I'm not quite understanding your question: "how the PRAM did corrupt bad programming".

Sorry for the bad wording, it was late. My tongue in cheek came about due to the use of zapping PRAM as a solution from the Apple tech as it has nothing to do with the bug in Lion. It is just bad programming and crappy beta testing. Proving that the person you were talking with had no clue what the PRAM does and what your problem came from.

JPS

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
Just spoke to Apple again re another issue, and I happened to mention the login situation. He said that there's an update coming within ten days. Hope that fixes it.

Hope it actually arrives.

tatham

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Safari getting passwords wrong

Agree with the previous posts - I hope the next update fixes this.

I have 2 gmail accounts - one personal and one business. Chrome has managed to identify both in the past and allocate the correct password.

Now that I have updated to OS X 10.7 Lion, I am using Safari (although I would still use the far better Chrome if the current version of Lion did not make it so buggy) and it is like my Grandma, trying to remember which username goes with which password.

It tries to put my personal Gmail username in all fields because it is obviously not sufficiently developed to recognise that it is a different account sometimes, like Chrome was able to do.

Pretty useless.

Anyone having a similar problem. Should I hope for the best from Apple or move to Chrome Canary?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
dont remember it ever asking to remember password for here, but it works ok

one thing to try if you havent

delete the entry from keychain
also delete any cookies for this site

revisit the site and log back in, see what happens

JPS

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
dont remember it ever asking to remember password for here, but it works ok

one thing to try if you havent

delete the entry from keychain
also delete any cookies for this site

revisit the site and log back in, see what happens

Tried that, didn't work.

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Hey, for me at least, I just realized that this problem only happens when I do "private browsing."

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
did anyone figure this out? Safair doesn't remember the pass to macrumors!

xgipper

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
No update to fix this, then?

I am using a new MacBook Pro, and decided to use Safari as it seems to work with the zooming function of the trackpad, whereas Firefox doesn't without hacking (and I can't find where the hack is posted!).

But now I'm experiencing the same issue over passwords: it doesn't seem to remember them for various sites.... Did anyone find a fix? Or does anyone know how I can make FF work with the trackpad like Safari does :)

Thanks

Last edited:

mavili

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2012
solved (for me)

I had the same problem. Safari had already saved my user details for Facebook website and all of a sudden started to not remember them and never ask again to save them. I don't know whether my siblings had done something or it just happened by itself(!) but mine is now fixed.

Solution:
Go to Keychain Access utility in the launchpad and delete the website that has ben saved there without form details [i.e. it said 'www.facebook.com (Passwords not saved)' in my case]. once you do that and visit the website again, keychain will ask you to save them or not.

PLEIKU69

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
Eh, not looking to use a third-party app if I can help it. I should have included that. I am sure there is a solution- I don't think everyone here has a problem with Safari saving their MacRumors password, do they? Wonder what is wrong with our particular settings. Thank you anyway.

My password and username for this site is not on the keychain; not all of them are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.