Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
okay so here's another WiFi question. I've found that while at work, there is WiFi access, but the problem is I barely get a signal in the office I've got. At least it would seem that i'm barely getting it. Upon looking in internet connect I find that i do have a signal, and while it's low 2 to 1 bars, it's there. THe issue is that other peopel at work, with windows machines, can access the web just fine, and with just as low of a signal. How come my powerbook can't? Also, why bother having those last 2 bars there if you can't get the net even if you have them? Is there anything that I can do so the mac will still access the net? Like I said it sees a signal, even says I've got one, but it wont let me actually use any web apps. Any thoguhts would be greatly appreciated.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I use the wireless net at campus of UiB and rarely get more than 2 bars. Works fine, even dipping into 1 bar occasionly in some lecture halls. Don't loose the internet connection before it goes down to zero bars (at which point I lose whatever base I'm hanging on, anyway...)

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
So are you saying that something is wrong with my mac then? Cause I def. have the bars but it's not doing me a lick of good.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
For better or worse, the Aluminum PowerBooks suck for WiFi reception compared to almost any other laptop. I have a client with 2 PowerBooks, line of sight 20 feet from an Airport Express as a repeater (installed because the Airport Extreme B.S. couldn't go 30 feet and through one wall :( ) and one machine will be stable while the other machine goes from 2 bars to zero.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Though I have heard that the PBs do have worse reception than the iBooks, I think that the problem may lie in the internet or the router, ie not playing well with your Mac.

If you really think about it, even if your wireless connection is going at a *measly* 1 mbps, that is still more than enough to surf the net, assuming that your net is fine.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Right, all the more reason I'm curious as to what the problem is, and how I might go abotu fixing it. Cause I don't wanna go complain to apple if it's not the computers fault. Like I said, I havea signal, albeit a weak 2 ro 1 bars at work, it's just that it doesn't let me surf the net, while other (windows) computers can with the same weak signal, and they've not had naything done to them other then turning on and connceting.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Omad0n said:
Right, all the more reason I'm curious as to what the problem is, and how I might go abotu fixing it. Cause I don't wanna go complain to apple if it's not the computers fault. Like I said, I havea signal, albeit a weak 2 ro 1 bars at work, it's just that it doesn't let me surf the net, while other (windows) computers can with the same weak signal, and they've not had naything done to them other then turning on and connceting.

Are there any other coworkers with Macs you could compare with?

Is your PB is your own? Are the PC users using computers provided by your employer? If so, perhaps the access point has been restricted by MAC address. You should check with your IT department or whoever set up the network. (I had the same problem when adding a PC to my home network - I pissed around for a couple of hours, unable to connect to my own router even though I could see it and I could connect to a neighbor's unsecured AP, before I remembered I had access restricted by MAC address)

Also, take a look at the wireless setup on a couple of the PCs. You may find something that's configured differently from your own.

Anyway, it seems that getting a wireless setup working is still very much a hit-or-miss affair. If you look up reviews of wireless products, there's always 50% really bad and 50% really good because it works immediately for some people but never works for others. Also, it seems to be easier to connect if the access point and the computer wireless card are from the same manufacturer.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
Fantastic information on the post before mine, I'll take a look at things like mac addresses and such the next time I go in, which will be friday. THanks for giving me some ideas, it's much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.