Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natley1966

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
Largest iPod Library

Mines around 5TB inc around 414Gb of audio.

I sort of went full steam ahead with the old Digital Hub idea and I've stuffed everything into iTunes over the last decade, every last LP, CD and DVD.

And yeah :) I've learnt the hard way about backing up.

64GB WiFi iPad
32Gb iPhone 4
iPod Classics 1x 80Gb 1 x 160Gb
Apple TV 1 x 1st Gen 1 x 2nd Gen (1 in Bedroom 1 in lounge)
1 x custom build Windows 7 PC (for gaming)

Fortytwenty

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
66004 songs, 718.11 Gb.... so far. Selling my rather large cd collection and don't expect to get much for it.
Only bought three albums through iTunes store, but have bought a lot from artists own web sites.
Don't have time for video.

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I have two iTunes servers. I used to have everything on Server #1, but my wife and I got tired of weeding through back episodes of SpongeBob and Power Rangers, so I moved my kid's stuff over to a old MacMini.

These both stream to three ATV2s.

Server #1 - PM G5 2x2Ghz. 4x1TB RAID array.

Music - 31858 tracks, 85.7 days, 690.67 GB (Almost all ripped direct from CD to Apple Lossless)
Movies - 277 items, 8 days, 138.03 GB
TV Shows - 2567 Episodes, 43.7 days, 836.73 GB (All ripped direct from DVD)
Podcasts - 1178 items, 17.8 days, 23.50 GB

Server #2 - MacMini 1.13Ghz, External 1TB HD

Music - 0
Movies - 4 items, 6 house, 4.92 GB
TV Shows - 1598 TV Episodes, 20.7 days, 437.78 GB (All ripped direct from DVD)

I add this up to 2.13 Tb if you got with 1000 math or right around 2 TB even with 1024 math. (Google it if you want to know more.)

I've seen quite a few with a TB+ posting which boggles the mind really. But I suppose that once you slam HD Movies, TV Episodes, and Podcasts stuff adds up. I tend to delete stuff that I'm sure I won't watch again. Then again I don't have a server!!! :eek: Anyone know of a good reference for setting something like this up?

jmhays

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
iTunes Library

I have 42,474 song in my iTunes library, 99.9% of which I ripped from my CDs (plus a few from some friends). This project took a few weeks working 8+ hours per day, sometimes with up to 3 computers running at the same time. I originally ripped the CDs into FLAC (lossless) format then converted into Apple Lossless format. I have searched and removed any duplicate CDs in the collection. These stats do NOT include all the FLAC versions of these same songs.

If I was to listen to my 42,474 songs for 8 hours per day, it would take me almost 370 days to listen to them all without any repeats.

Oh, and I bought zero songs in iTunes

42,474 Songs 1,078.2GB
328 Audiobooks 331.0GB (All in MP3 format)
136 Concert videos 736.0GB
582 Music videos 31.0GB
123 Movies 548.0GB

Yet to be converted into Apple Lossless and added into iTunes:
FLAC 179.0GB

Also need to add my 538 other movies into iTunes.

Attachments

• iTunes Apple Lossless.jpg
    iTunes Apple Lossless.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 864
Last edited:

yannstevenson

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
I have 85, 000 tracks on close to 505 Gigs of data.

everything is stored on an external 3.5" Seagate with a 3TB capacity.

jmhays

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
"Pfft! We can beat this:"

Yes, he/she/they/you have me beat in QUANTITY, but not in QUALITY. Those 172,150 tracks are 4 times as many as what I have, yet the file size of the collection is smaller than mine. That leads me to believe that most of those tracks are fully compressed MP3 quality. Fine for walking around town listening on your iPod or iPhone, but not for listening to in your living room.

I think it is better to have a smaller number of songs that are stored in high quality, that way you will want to listen to them and enjoy listen to them when you do. Instead, this person (or group) have a larger number of tracks that you have to stop listening to because your head hurts from listening to the compressed music. To each his own.

quizzi

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
No disrespect to those who actually have large libraries but it's quite easy to fake a large library.

Just create a new playlist in iTunes and keep copying your main collection into the playlist until you have had enough lol.

Spendrup

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
My current library is 1.7 tb made of 99% of music since I rarely put movies in iTunes or only to watch some on my iPad. I could easily go up to 3-4Tb but would then face the stress to have the appropriate external HD backup. Right now my music is on an external HD itself backed (Time machine) on another 2 external HD.
The hectic issues encontered with my current iMac also make me hesitate to get a new one this said...but I wish to be able to have a bigger library on a working computer with the right backup.

mzweibel

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Presently...

I have have 13095 items 36.8 days 306.13 GB on one 1TB drive of music only, captured in Apple loss-less format. I have another 500 GB of movies on another drive. The music is a wide ranging mix, eclectic and fairly broad in scope.

King Alekay

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
How the hell do people get so much music?!! I do not see how you could even like that much music!! Seriously!! I dare any of you to try and guess how many songs I have. I am a lot pickier when it comes to music I like than you guys. A LOT.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
How the hell do people get so much music?!! I do not see how you could even like that much music!! Seriously!! I dare any of you to try and guess how many songs I have. I am a lot pickier when it comes to music I like than you guys. A LOT.

Oh please.. Don't start again this old "are you going to listen all your music" argument.. Its so banal..

Its about the collection. Other people are collecting stamps, they are not doing that to just spend all their time on staring at them all. It's the feeling of collecting something. And you can't say you are pickier because you have a smaller music library. Most of my music comes from classical SACD rippings and I can assure you that you need a really fine taste to appreciate them and find which version of a specific symphony you really prefer when you have 3 or 4 different ones.

And I surely enjoy these lazy afternoons with all the lights off, a glass of whiskey and the tubes of my amplifiers glowing in the night, that I just sit on my sofa and for the next 2-3 hours I just browse on my library using my iPad, actively listening to music and discover a new song or artist that I really like and was completely unaware of them before! Its a whole new discovery! Sometimes I am in a mood for listening something specific, but some other times I just like to discover new music.

And don't tell me that you can do that by pressing the preview on iTunes store, as it is not the same. You have to pay for these songs every time you like some, the collection concerning classical music is limited and the quality is far inferior from SACD.

And by the way most of my music comes from the CD and SACD collection of my father, as I am currently ripping it in iTunes. I have not time to listen to any song while I am ripping them. He is a hardcore audiophile with a huge collection of SACD and vinyl but no time currently to rip the vinyl.

Again it's the pride of ownership and the feeling that you have something undiscovered, a rare treasure that will always bring you something new to surprise you.

Last edited:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Oh please.. Don't start again this old "are you going to listen all your music" argument.. Its so banal..

Its about the collection. Other people are collecting stamps, they are not doing that to just spend all their time on staring at them all. It's the feeling of collecting something. And you can't say you are pickier because you have a smaller music library. Most of my music comes from classical SACD rippings and I can assure you that you need a really fine taste to appreciate them and find which version of a specific symphony you really prefer when you have 3 or 4 different ones.

And I surely enjoy these lazy afternoons with all the lights off, a glass of whiskey and the tubes of my amplifiers glowing in the night, that I just sit on my sofa and for the next 2-3 hours I just browse on my library using my iPad, actively listening to music and discover a new song or artist that I really like and was completely unaware of them before! Its a whole new discovery! Sometimes I am in a mood for listening something specific, but some other times I just like to discover new music.

And don't tell me that you can do that by pressing the preview on iTunes store, as it is not the same. You have to pay for these songs every time you like some, the collection concerning classical music is limited and the quality is far inferior from SACD.

And by the way most of my music comes from the CD collection of my father, as I am currently ripping it in iTunes. I have not time to listen to any song while I am ripping them. He is a hardcore audiophile with a huge collection of SACD and vinyl but no time currently to rip the vinyl.

Again it's the pride of ownership and the feeling that you have something undiscovered, a rare treasure that will always bring you something new to surprise you.

Just out of curiosity, how do you rip your SACDs? Or do you just rip the redbook layer?

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Just out of curiosity, how do you rip your SACDs? Or do you just rip the redbook layer?

I just rip the rebook layer and if I find something I really like, I then go and do an analogue rip of the SACD connecting the analogue output of the payer to my sound card. I know not the best quality you can ask and it takes some time to finish but still far better than a regular CD as even in rebook layer the sound is not as compressed as in a native CD mastering. It is also more convenient than needing to clean the sound from the vinyl after you rip one.

It needs dedication. You spend really a lot of time doing that. And I wouldn't bother to do that to be honest if the collection wasn't that big. But he is using a dedicated room just to store the records and cds so it makes it so much more convenient for him (and for me ;) ) to have them all in a single hard drive.

Last edited:

wngraham

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
All music. The movies/TV shows are another 200 GB or so kept on an external drive and only accessed when needed (not very often).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-22 at 6.40.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-22 at 6.40.48 AM.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 624

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I just rip the rebook layer and if I find something I really like, I then go and do an analogue rip of the SACD connecting the analogue output of the payer to my sound card. I know not the best quality you can ask and it takes some time to finish but still far better than a regular CD as even in rebook layer the sound is not as compressed as in a native CD mastering. It is also more convenient than needing to clean the sound from the vinyl after you rip one.

It needs dedication. You spend really a lot of time doing that. And I wouldn't bother to do that to be honest if the collection wasn't that big. But he is using a dedicated room just to store the records and cds so it makes it so much more convenient for him (and for me ;) ) to have them all in a single hard drive.

Ah, I understand. Personally that's why I'll never buy any SACDs, there's just no easy way to rip them, although there is the rather costly PS3 method. I find that there's a greater variety of stuff on DVD-A and they can be easily ripped, but I'm under the impression that there's a lot more classical music available on SACD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.