Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mormacdo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Hi all,

I am currently using a 13" macbook pro with 2.53 Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM and 128G SS drive and am very interested in the lighter macbook air for transporting to and from work. In buying a 13" macbook air what should I expect in day to day performance? i.e. watching movies, internet, processing, and citrix type connection +/- VMware fusion Would this be a step up,down, or lateral? Which of the Airs would people recommend? Thanks in advance to any who reply!

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
buying the base 13" air will pretty much beat your MBP in every situation except the ones where you need an optical drive lol :p

askrib

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
dude get the 13" i5 or i7. Its the best investment I have made all year. I LOVE it! I have the i7 256 ssd. It does all that and more. Worth every penny. So yes get it, no question.

mormacdo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
much appreciated! Was worried but will likely pick one up. Thank you!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Hi all,

I am currently using a 13" macbook pro with 2.53 Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM and 128G SS drive and am very interested in the lighter macbook air for transporting to and from work. In buying a 13" macbook air what should I expect in day to day performance? i.e. watching movies, internet, processing, and citrix type connection +/- VMware fusion Would this be a step up,down, or lateral? Which of the Airs would people recommend? Thanks in advance to any who reply!

I actually have an old MBP with nearly identical specs except that I've installed 8 GBs of RAM. The MBA is a lot faster. The only things I miss are the FireWire port (hopefully a thunderbolt to FW adapter comes soon that does not cost £899) and also, funnily enough, the battery indicator on the side that the MBP has. Handy little feature.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I actually have an old MBP with nearly identical specs except that I've installed 8 GBs of RAM. The MBA is a lot faster. The only things I miss are the FireWire port (hopefully a thunderbolt to FW adapter comes soon that does not cost £899) and also, funnily enough, the battery indicator on the side that the MBP has. Handy little feature.
Oh yes, I really miss those little green battery indicator lights. I found myself pressing the battery indicator button multiple times a day...;)

mormacdo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
yes I can afford one and YES I want one. I carry my MPB around a ton, would love to lighten the load. now I just need to decide if I need the 256G or not.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
yes I can afford one and YES I want one. I carry my MPB around a ton, would love to lighten the load. now I just need to decide if I need the 256G or not.

If it's going to be your main computer and you have a decent amount of stuff, then I would say yes, but if you are ok with external drives to store media or you have another computer to do the carrying, then 128GB should be fine. That was my logic and why I chose the 128GB. Saved $300.

bigp9998

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Just dump all of your video content on an external drive, you generally don't need it all the time anyway and $300 is a lot for just 128GB of additional space. I do wish there was a Thunderbolt to FW cable to improve transfer speeds, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.