Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Now before you tell me that I don't need it, trust me I know. I just got off the phone with university tech support who says that I can't connect to their network unless I have some form of antivirus installed. This is new from last year and is quite frankly pretty agrivating. They're holding to the line that there are viruses out there for everyone regardless of the lack of examples for us. I'm pretty safe on the internet and know better than to let a virus onto my system. Anyways, we get Symantec's End Point Protection for free on a license to the school. I used a Symantec program back when I was on XP and I felt that it really bogged my computer down. Is there anything a little lighter on system resources that is free that you can recommend?

APtalent

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I used Nod32 last year, back when I was naive and doubted the unix platform.

I'd recommend it.

I had it back when it was in beta and was free.

Here's the link to the official site, http://www.eset.com/us/home/cybersecurity-for-mac

-

Another alternative would be Virus Barrier Express. It's freeware on the AppStore and helped heaps of people in that recent malware craze some months ago.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I use ClamXav. Get the version direct from them instead of from Apple's app store. It has more real-time protections in place.

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
I run ClamXAV once a year...

But it's not really needed. If your university IT complain about you not having protection for your computer, lay a condom across the keyboard, and tell them you solved your virus protection problem.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Just tell them "yeah, I've got virus protection" and move on. Admin are idiots and won't know the difference.

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Just tell them "yeah, I've got virus protection" and move on. Admin are idiots and won't know the difference.

No can do. You have to download a 'get connected' utility when you get on campus and it scans your computer for anti virus software. I'll probably try out sophos as the best alternative. it's either that or clam. never a symantec product again.

Eradik

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
No can do. You have to download a 'get connected' utility when you get on campus and it scans your computer for anti virus software. I'll probably try out sophos as the best alternative. it's either that or clam. never a symantec product again.

How often do you have to scan?

I'd install AV, run their program, then proceed to dump both of them.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville

Most likely PC only too. What I'd do. Get virtualbox, install windows, install some free antivirus there. Then connect to the network, use their windows tool to scan for antivirus and now you're free.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Thats funny the university I went to let Mac's automatically connect to the networks, it was the PC's that had to go through a 45 minute process to get on the network their first time, or whenever their was a Windows update.

Unfortunately I can't help you with that problem.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Sounds like the IT department at your university needs to get updated on their technology.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
I've used Sophos for a while now. It'll find both Windows and Mac malware and it's an incredibly minimal program (it doesn't noticably slow down my computer and it's not cluttered with features, it just scans and protects), so it's a good program to have just in case.

You can download it here: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

My son goes to Trinity University and they use Sophos across the network. It has been reliable since I started using it. It's also found a few threats that I would have missed had I not been using it. That free part is nice too.

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Most likely PC only too. What I'd do. Get virtualbox, install windows, install some free antivirus there. Then connect to the network, use their windows tool to scan for antivirus and now you're free.

Nope it's a native Mac app as well. They're really good about supporting both windows and unix base operating systems. I'm not sure how often it scans but I've been told that they literally won't let you on without it. I know that I won't have to run the get connected utility every time, but it's very probable that they also have a server side copy that can check me for it. I just sent them a novel claiming that it's unfair to make me run this but I know that I'll just get a response saying that there are viruses out there for everyone and that I run the risk of infecting other non-unix computers without anti virus. Other than the fact that I couldn't care any less about other peoples' computers, it's ********. But they'll stick to their party line and that's that. Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

qbiq

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 only because i need it on my production machine at work.

iMac-do you?

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
England
Another vote here for ESET CyberSecurity. I was a big fan of NOD32 on Windows, it used as little memory as possible and never bogged down the system at all. It was a natural progression to use an ESET product on my Mac. Also their tech support is excellent.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sounds like the IT department at your university needs to get updated on their technology.

Hmmm, best antivirus I know of is Mac OS X!!

Running AV software on a Mac on a mostly PC network is not about protecting your Mac. It is about keeping the PCs protected. While your Mac is not going to be affected by viruses, it can still act as a carrier and pass them to other computers.

It's all about being a good netizen.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Running AV software on a Mac on a mostly PC network is not about protecting your Mac. It is about keeping the PCs protected. While your Mac is not going to be affected by viruses, it can still act as a carrier and pass them to other computers.

It's all about being a good netizen.

Shouldn't the owners of those PCs assume responsibility by running their own AV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.