Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Obviously they aren't after you. They are trolling for the big fish. The person who steals many devices from Apple. Glad you called and hope you can keep using your phone. The seller is in a bit of trouble from the sounds of things.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Thats why i hate eBay and Paypal because you have 30 days or something like that to make a inquiry and if you already leaved a positive feedback you cant do **** like i got scammed for a couple of weeks ago.

Once i bought a Polo from ralp lauren on ebay and the seller had descriped: 100% genuine and all that stuff (seller was from UK), after i recieved it i saw it was fake and the authentic dealership in Germany also confirmed it was fake

Paypal didnt help me, ebay didnt help me:mad:

Ah but if you had looked closely you would have seen that Ralp Lauren is actually spelt wrongly and that would have been a clue to it being fake.

I bought a complete range of suitcases from Louiey Vuiton once for £7000 imagine how dissapointed I was when I found they were fakes.

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
update (to anyone who care of course!)
send email to ebay and paypal regarding the iPhone
Got a reply that i should have said this the 45 days of the auction!!!like i knew anything that time
im willing to continue this issue
first of al cos there are other victims involved cos the user sold more than 200+ advices over ebay
second, i didn't like ebay policy plus after that period they don't seem to care if the item you have from them via paypal is stolen

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Why is it that we have so many sheep in this forum ready to jump on the "SCAM!" bandwagon at the drop of a hat without truly looking at the facts?!

The OP or the detective obviously misspoke when they said this was a factory theft. More likely is that it was a theft from a retail location. Easiest way to dump these phones? Sell them internationally on eBay. Exactly what the theif did.

OP, I don't think you need to worry about the iPhone being blacklisted. It seems in the GSM world it's almost impossible to get phones blacklisted these days. Perhaps this is due to the sheer amount of carriers that would have to cooperate to accomplish the task with any amount of success. I'm glad you finally called the detective and got it cleared up though. I hope they nail this guy.

Go enjoy your phone and don't buy iPhones from eBay again if you can help it. Buy directly from Apple or the carrier. If the deal is too good to be true...it is.

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Why is it that we have so many sheep in this forum ready to jump on the "SCAM!" bandwagon at the drop of a hat without truly looking at the facts?!

The OP or the detective obviously misspoke when they said this was a factory theft. More likely is that it was a theft from a retail location. Easiest way to dump these phones? Sell them internationally on eBay. Exactly what the theif did.

OP, I don't think you need to worry about the iPhone being blacklisted. It seems in the GSM world it's almost impossible to get phones blacklisted these days. Perhaps this is due to the sheer amount of carriers that would have to cooperate to accomplish the task with any amount of success. I'm glad you finally called the detective and got it cleared up though. I hope they nail this guy.

Go enjoy your phone and don't buy iPhones from eBay again if you can help it. Buy directly from Apple or the carrier. If the deal is too good to be true...it is.

hello and thanks!
the only reason i want a refund or a new phone is that in case i want to sell it..cos its an at and t network ill have to sell it back in the us
first of all i don't know if it will be legal
and second if the p[erson receiving this phone will be able to actually use it!
that is why now i have a serious argument with ebay and paypal
they need to be more careful and at least respect customers
well at least thats my opinion anyway

anush3

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
update (to anyone who care of course!)
send email to ebay and paypal regarding the iPhone
Got a reply that i should have said this the 45 days of the auction!!!like i knew anything that time
im willing to continue this issue
first of al cos there are other victims involved cos the user sold more than 200+ advices over ebay
second, i didn't like ebay policy plus after that period they don't seem to care if the item you have from them via paypal is stolen

So now once it is confirmed that your iPhone is not flagged as stolen, why don't you want to keep it.

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
So now once it is confirmed that your iPhone is not flagged as stolen, why don't you want to keep it.

i will
I'm saying in the scenario that i would like to jump to iPhone 5 this fall
obviously ill sell this one to get the next
don't have that kind of money to afford having both!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
hello and thanks!
the only reason i want a refund or a new phone is that in case i want to sell it..cos its an at and t network ill have to sell it back in the us
first of all i don't know if it will be legal
and second if the p[erson receiving this phone will be able to actually use it!
that is why now i have a serious argument with ebay and paypal
they need to be more careful and at least respect customers
well at least thats my opinion anyway

I understand, but based on what I've seen...you won't get anywhere. eBay has always been and is even more so now a "buyer beware" mareketplace. I always assume that half of what I look at is fake or stolen.

But hey....it's worth trying. If they guy used paypal they may be able to reverse the charges if you are really lucky. Try getting a report of some sort from the detective and forwading that to PayPal.

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
I understand, but based on what I've seen...you won't get anywhere. eBay has always been and is even more so now a "buyer beware" mareketplace. I always assume that half of what I look at is fake or stolen.

But hey....it's worth trying. If they guy used paypal they may be able to reverse the charges if you are really lucky. Try getting a report of some sort from the detective and forwading that to PayPal.
i will definitely try
im not new to ebay i have been there since day one..and these people know this...
ill try thats for sure:)

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Selling a stolen phone could be quite a challenge. If you announce that it has been stolen ...... well forget that.

If you don't announce it was stolen when the buyer goes to activate it and set up iTunes (like the OP did) an alarm may go off again notifying the police etc.

I think I would keep it until the authorities say otherwise. :confused:

anush3

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
Selling a stolen phone could be quite a challenge. If you announce that it has been stolen ...... well forget that.

If you don't announce it was stolen when the buyer goes to activate it and set up iTunes (like the OP did) an alarm may go off again notifying the police etc.

I think I would keep it until the authorities say otherwise. :confused:

There won't be any problem.
The phone is not flagged as stolen, so there won't be any alarm.
OP had email just because the detective had interest in that serial number so Apple emailed detective once OP extended warranty.

OP were you able to successfully extend warranty?

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
There won't be any problem.
The phone is not flagged as stolen, so there won't be any alarm.
OP had email just because the detective had interest in that serial number so Apple emailed detective once OP extended warranty.

OP were you able to successfully extend warranty?

didn't extend warranty especially now that ill have to keep the phone i don't think so..
still only bad news from ebay and paypal
they say they can't do anything about it

proost

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
didn't extend warranty especially now that ill have to keep the phone i don't think so..

Great to hear you got to the bottom of the issue. My sense is that you might try to sell the phone when 5 comes out and if you can't or don't... c'est la vie!

Glad this was resolved.
:)

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

Little green apples, extend the warranty. You are basically being told by the police, Apple, eBay and Paypal that none of them want this phone back. At this point, it's no longer "stolen."

I would go forward with a clean conscience, and keep a record of all your communications regarding this phone. I am certain you WILL be able to sell it when you are ready.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Little green apples, extend the warranty. You are basically being told by the police, Apple, eBay and Paypal that none of them want this phone back. At this point, it's no longer "stolen."

I would go forward with a clean conscience, and keep a record of all your communications regarding this phone. I am certain you WILL be able to sell it when you are ready.

This. Just live your life man. It was exciting for the meantime but just enjoy the phone. You've now got a story to tell your grandchildren.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.