Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyMcMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Do you know the lightest available sleeve or bag for the air? To make it more rugged as it looks like it will be destroyed once someone accidently steps over it! I was thinking about 0.20 kg to 0.30 kg. Any ideas?

Maybe also something that is always around the air. What about if the air drops from the table? I'd like to have some more protection and it should be as light as possible.

MyMcMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
I don't see how heavy this sleeve is. I am either interested in a sleeve which is very lightweight, or a sleeve which can be with the macbook all the time. Or a very light shoulder bag.

AZMacFan

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I love my WaterField SleeveCase with shoulder strap from SFBags... http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php

It's high quality, lightweight, and available in horizontal & vertical orientation (I got the vertical which fits perfectly on my roadster's passenger seat). Their customer service is excellent too. I added the Piggyback pouch afterwards to be able to carry the AC adapter & headphones.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I love my WaterField SleeveCase with shoulder strap from SFBags... http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.php

It's high quality, lightweight, and available in horizontal & vertical orientation (I got the vertical which fits perfectly on my roadster's passenger seat). Their customer service is excellent too. I added the Piggyback pouch afterwards to be able to carry the AC adapter & headphones.

personally, i like the other sleeve that waterfield has better because it's simpler. but maybe i need to order one of those. my incase is too thick. it makes me sad. in switching from a MBP to a MBA i expected the height to be about 1/2 as tall and it is, but with the incase its almost exactly the same size due to excessive padding. and it's a PITA to use.

AZMacFan

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
personally, i like the other sleeve that waterfield has better because it's simpler. but maybe i need to order one of those. my incase is too thick. it makes me sad. in switching from a MBP to a MBA i expected the height to be about 1/2 as tall and it is, but with the incase its almost exactly the same size due to excessive padding. and it's a PITA to use.

Here's the link to all the WaterField Air cases/sleeves... http://sfbags.com/products/macbookair-cases/macbookair-cases.php

MyMcMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
As the weight of the bag is the primary objective for creating this topic, please include the weight in your posts. Thanks!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
With these slim cases, the weight isn't going to be too much different. The first case that was linked to, you're not going to get anything much lighter than that. So I'd look at what case you like, as the weight on all these are going to be about the same.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
With these slim cases, the weight isn't going to be too much different. The first case that was linked to, you're not going to get anything much lighter than that. So I'd look at what case you like, as the weight on all these are going to be about the same.

not necessarily true. the incase neoprene sleeve i just got is close to half a pound and is an inch in height.

i've ordered a waterfield suede sleeve because i think it will be much lighter.

bigp9998

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
not necessarily true. the incase neoprene sleeve i just got is close to half a pound and is an inch in height.

i've ordered a waterfield suede sleeve because i think it will be much lighter.

I too ordered the Waterfield suede jacket. In addition to weighing more, the neoprene sleeves can be quite bulky too.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Really? Then it seems like the OP's best bet is to go with the Waterfield sleeve, although that one leaves the end open.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I too ordered the Waterfield suede jacket. In addition to weighing more, the neoprene sleeves can be quite bulky too.

i am looking forward to the waterfield suede jacket. all i need is something simple to protect it from scratches. the incase neoprene is going back. i had a booq sleeve for my MBP that i liked for the most part, although it wasn't as tight a fit as i wanted.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
i think i'm gonna go with the incase sleeve. their site doesn't list the weight, but i've had one for my previous 13" macbook pro and that was light

sltclvr02.jpg

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I really like that iSkinz case. If I had known about it before, I would have gotten it. Maybe I still will.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
i think i'm gonna go with the incase sleeve. their site doesn't list the weight, but i've had one for my previous 13" macbook pro and that was light

around 4 oz.

I think it's the best for my needs. It's padded all around the edges and the sides are padded just right. The neoprene is good quality as the one for my prior 13 still looks brand new. Just the same, I put an iCarbon skin on my laptop front and rear for added scratch protection when handling the computer sans slip case. If TSA says to put the laptop on the conveyer, you're golden with this slip case. I'll exchange my black one for the color one depicted in this thread so that it'll stand out from all the business black items on the conveyer.

Last edited:

optmi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Light weight sleeve

www.untype.com

I have an untype felt sleeve for my 13 inch and I love it. It's pretty lightweight. If you're going to get one, get the charcoal, it looks good with the air.

The one thing I'm worried about with sleeves is whether or not I have to totally shut down before I put it in. Isn't the air still on in the case/sleeve if you shut the lid?

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
www.untype.com

I have an untype felt sleeve for my 13 inch and I love it. It's pretty lightweight. If you're going to get one, get the charcoal, it looks good with the air.

The one thing I'm worried about with sleeves is whether or not I have to totally shut down before I put it in. Isn't the air still on in the case/sleeve if you shut the lid?

that looks really nice, but pricey.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
So it's a really light shoulder bag you want? Best to let us know, or people will keep suggesting sleeves.

MyMcMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
So it's a really light shoulder bag you want? Best to let us know, or people will keep suggesting sleeves.

You are completely right! I am looking for a shoulder bag for a notebook, as light as possible.

The sleeves are also nice if there would be very lightweight shoulder bags available. But I think a shoulder bag with integrated notebook sleeve is lighter than both a sleeve and a shouldber bag.

Thanks for all your nice suggestions in this thread! There are great cases available for Mac products.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
What about This

Its wool doubt it weighs that much.

I have one of these for my MBA and for my iPad. The lady who makes them is very nice and responds quickly to questions. She even made mine a bit different because I asked, and didn't charge me extra at all. Very high quality and hand crafted. They look very stylish and I have gotten many compliments about mine.

Norsolaar

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I searched for a few hours and ended up with the Crumpler Saturday Night Suit

crumpler_saturdaynightsuit_699.jpg

Dimension: 20 x 30 x 3 (cm)
weight: 450 grams
material:Genuine Leather
Storage volume: laptop with 12" and 13"

- Ultra slim design
- Super soft and strong holycor real leather combined with water proof ripstop lining
- shiny metal logo and metal hardware
- Built in padded protective laptop pocket with integrated pens, slots and mesh pockets
-Adjustable shoulder strap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.