Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrboombastico

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
What I would like to see is a white version of the iPod Touch. Here is an image that I photoshoped to compare a black and a white 1:

ipodtouch4g2550x349.jpg

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

My iPod Touch 5 Prediction:

Highly Likely:
- more RAM (512MB)
- longer battery life
- same design as current
- dual-core processor
- iOS 5
- same price points

Likely:
- improved cameras (1.3MP and 2MP?)
- increased storage capacities (either 128GB model is introduced or they just up the base model to 16GB and leave the remaining two as is)

Somewhat Likely:
- better display (IPS?)
- back camera flash
- enable FM radio

Highly Unlikely:
- GPS chip (I wonder if this will ever be added?)

A larger, heavier game-focused version of the device would also be a very interesting prospect. ;)

souvikroy1111

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
2gb ram
2GHZ Quad core processor
PowerVR SGX1000 GPU
4.3 inch screen
3D surround music
8mp camera with 1080p video + 1080p 3D video
5mp front camera with 720p video
3D screen
1024 x 768 pixel
triple boot (IOS + Android + WP7)
256 GB space

Thats all :D

laravia18

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
The things I want the most are:

The removal of the 8GB and replaced with a re-instated 16GB hard drive. IMO the 8GB is useless. It should remain the same price.

This device needs to be thicker. I have short hands and it is even too thin for me.

Up the hard drive space even if you can't go to 128GB, do something bigger than the 64GB you currently have.

Last but not least, I can't believe no one mentioned this but an orientation button. This will solve so many problems like the ability to instantly bring up camera/camcorder, and easily enable the ability to have a portrait screenlock. Mute if you choose. Or your Skype or FaceTime account.

apple.fiend

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
If they release a 128GB version it will be an instant buy for me, although the price tag will be quite high (the current 64GB is $430). But then what would happen to the iPod Classic?

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
If they release a 128GB version it will be an instant buy for me, although the price tag will be quite high (the current 64GB is $430). But then what would happen to the iPod Classic?

The Classic will whither away further into its niche like it has for the last 3 years.

The Classic is for true hipsters. Touchscreen smouchscreen.

therulerofchina

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
i think we need ethernet cables, more ram, faster processors, better wifi chip and external drives for data
also battery life increases, MUCH better (louder) built in speaker, witricity, i think the 3rd gen ipod was the best thickness, because that way theres more space for better stuff (battery, processor, etc...)
DO WE NEED A BETTER CAMERA? there is already a DMCR or whatever thingy for the ipod, just google it. also i think that we do not need mroe than 64 GB of data, because unless you watch twenty 1080p movies a day you dont need that much space

Last edited:

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
All of that would make it thicker and I don't think that's what Apple is shooting for when they've made all their mobile devices thinner each year.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
1) Please note that the iPod Touch's camera is 0.7 MP at the back and 0.5 for the FaceTime camera. I do not think it will get any better because it is capable of 720P HD video, so that is not bad for a poor MP camera.

2 )Possible

3) Not Possible > GPS on the iPhone is based off the cell tower you are most near. Seeing as the iPod Touch has no phone hardware, it cannot happen. I think it is worth getting a seperate GPS that uses Satellites for better accuracy.

4) Not likely > This is not a phone. However, if you can give better uses for a vibrate switch, I would be happy to agree.

5) Possible

6) The main difference is that the iPod Touch 4G's screen does not have iPS (in-plane switching). Possible.

7) With the A5 Chip, it would be beast.

8) Possible, but that is a lot of space for a mobile device. I guess if you have a huge library, you are going to need the space.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
2gb ram
2GHZ Quad core processor
PowerVR SGX1000 GPU
4.3 inch screen
3D surround music
8mp camera with 1080p video + 1080p 3D video
5mp front camera with 720p video
3D screen
1024 x 768 pixel
triple boot (IOS + Android + WP7)
256 GB space

Thats all :D

More is great, but what the heck are you going to do with this while on the go? Perhaps a Street Fighter IV tournament?

Alex72

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'd be happy with just a slightly beefier processor and with a better rear camera -- even something on the level of the old iPhone's 2 megapixel unit would be nice. Even a 1.3mp unit would be okay, if they improved the actual quality of the images -- reduced the noise, improved the dynamic range, etc... Maybe add a nice scratch-resistant anodized treatment to the backplate. :)

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
I'd be happy with just a slightly beefier processor and with a better rear camera -- even something on the level of the old iPhone's 2 megapixel unit would be nice. Even a 1.3mp unit would be okay, if they improved the actual quality of the images -- reduced the noise, improved the dynamic range, etc... Maybe add a nice scratch-resistant anodized treatment to the backplate. :)

I would agree on making the back less scratch resistant...

However, I think the whole point of the camera was for video, not really for pictures. I would love a better camera, but I think the camera lens maybe too big for the iPod Touch's design. Especially when it is getting more thin everytime, I could not see it happening. Maybe Apple can somehow in the future, but not now.

Ephmreal

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Would like to see a dedicated analog direction button for games. I don't like the virtual d-pad in games, there is no feel to them & your finger takes up screen real estate.

And so you don't accidently hit the home button to exit a game, make it that you have to hit say the power button & home button to exit a game.

Cant say i ever found that problem playing COD Zombies? you kinda get used to it.

Also, the Home and Powre button together already take a screenshot..!

therulerofchina

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
well ios 5 beta 4 shows the ipod touch 5th gen will have 3g, it may also have a vibrator and now gps is possible, also it has an A5 processor, (possibly) a better camera, same design, slightly larger screen, and also the home button will have less resistance when you press it. also the ipod will have no 128 GB version

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
well ios 5 beta 4 shows the ipod touch 5th gen will have 3g, it may also have a vibrator and now gps is possible, also it has an A5 processor, (possibly) a better camera, same design, slightly larger screen, and also the home button will have less resistance when you press it. also the ipod will have no 128 GB version

I don't think those references in a Beta OS should be taken as Gospel that there will be those features.
I think it is much more likely that is a generic build for the phone and touch and the final release build for the Touch will have those lines removed

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I don't think those references in a Beta OS should be taken as Gospel that there will be those features.
I think it is much more likely that is a generic build for the phone and touch and the final release build for the Touch will have those lines removed
+1
im sure that it'll never gonna get 3g.maybe gps.Because whats the point of buying and iphone if you can get the ipod touch!come on theyll probably gonna make a cheaper iphone but it wont be the touch

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
My 1st Gen Touch just got GPS. Course I had to buy an external plugin module but you gotta do what you gotta do. That's the only way it is going to happen.

weenerdog

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
Really the dream features for me would be a 4.3" screen and a different surface for the back (not chrome). Other than that an update to the A5 chip plus 512mb ram would be great.

I see the bigger screen as being a really important feature if apple want to delve into multi touch gestures for iOS5.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Really the dream features for me would be a 4.3" screen and a different surface for the back (not chrome). Other than that an update to the A5 chip plus 512mb ram would be great.

I see the bigger screen as being a really important feature if apple want to delve into multi touch gestures for iOS5.
I would think that cosmetically the iPT will remain the same. The only difference that will possibly change is thickness again.

Lewiz

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
iPod Touch 5G Wish list!!!!

Well I wish it'd have:
1) LED flash
2) A 8 MP rear camera and a 5 MP front camera
3) Better screen quality like to the iPhone 4
4) GPS chip
5) 3G network access
6) More memory RAM capacity - 512 MB minimum
7) anti scratch glass on the screen
8) headphones with microphone and volume control
9) A mute control and anti gyro like the iPhone 4 and iPad 2
10) A much better speaker quality.
:)

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Well I wish it'd have:
1) LED flash
4) GPS chip
5) 3G network access

buy an iPhone

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Well I wish it'd have:
1) LED flash
4) GPS chip
5) 3G network access

You pretty much asked for an iPhone 4. Get an iPhone 4.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Well I wish it'd have:
1) LED flash
4) GPS chip
5) 3G network access
Well, it is a wish.

There's no way 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 are gonna happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.