Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
If i'm honest i never really had an issue with my laptop until i saw the thread about what display do you have. It did bring back memories of my initial thoughts when seeing the screen. I thought it looked slightly lacking in contrast.

I calibrated it there and then, the basic calibration wasn't sufficient so i did an expert calibration and found each step to be out, i correct them as per the instruction and now i feel i have much better contrast.

Try it and see if you feel the same.

I dont understand people claiming the LG panel is inferior, it looks pretty good to me. Better after calibration, and it makes sense that if apple are using 2 slightly different panels their default calibration isn't going to spot on for both.

//update
Here is my calibration file : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23758534/Expert Calibrated 5.icc

Last edited:

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If i'm honest i never really had an issue with my laptop until i saw the thread about what display do you have. It did bring back memories of my initial thoughts when seeing the screen. I thought it looked slightly lacking in contrast.

I calibrated it there and then, the basic calibration wasn't sufficient so i did an expert calibration and found each step to be out, i correct them as per the instruction and now i feel i have much better contrast.

Try it and see if you feel the same.

I dont understand people claiming the LG panel is inferior, it looks pretty good to me. Better after calibration, and it makes sense that if apple are using 2 slightly different panels their default calibration isn't going to spot on for both.

Would you mind posting your results?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
To calibrate just press alt+f2

Then switch to the colour tab, then click calibrate, follow the steps in expert mode, taking care with each step

I'm not sure how to post the calibration of each step in one image, it does give a summary screen after calibration but i can't return to that screen.

Here is my calibration file - you can load it using the instructions above and clicking open from the menu in the colour options.
updated: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23758534/Expert Calibrated 5.icc

But it is always best to complete the calibration yourself for your screen.

My results are a better temperature, less warm, more definition between greys and better contrast which is obvious just from the menu bars and the desktop image.

With 40 - 60% brightness which is my typical brightness i don't have viewing angle issues until the reflections affect the contrast.

Last edited:

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
To calibrate just press alt+f2

Then switch to the colour tab, then click calibrate, follow the steps in expert mode, taking care with each step

I'm not sure how to post the calibration of each step in one image, it does give a summary screen after calibration but i can't return to that screen.

Here is my calibration file - you can load it using the instructions above and clicking open from the menu in the colour options.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cw6te74gmusy6y7

But it is always best to complete the calibration yourself for your screen.

My results are a better temperature, less warm, more definition between greys and better contrast which is obvious just from the menu bars and the desktop image.

With 40 - 60% brightness which is my typical brightness i don't have viewing angle issues until the reflections affect the contrast.

Are you able to see the full range of this test pattern
without reds and greens on the high end clipping?
(Scroll left and right as needed...)

http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Are you able to see the full range of this test pattern
without reds and greens on the high end clipping?
(Scroll left and right as needed...)

http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original

Yes the farthest 2 blocks on the red and green channels are clipping

Although the colour reproduction and contrast is vastly improved with the custom calibration.

Do Samsung screens hold the definition in the red and green channels?

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I'd like to try your profile to compare,
I managed to open it but can't seem to add it to the list of profiles to select?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I'd like to try your profile to compare,
I managed to open it but can't seem to add it to the list of profiles to select?

You should be able to get it imported by getting to the colour tab, press open profile, then in the menu see the colour sync utility appear, click file, open, browse to the file.

This should do it

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Got it running copied it to /Library/ColorSync/Displays directory.

Does provide more contrast indeed,
darks are deeper, but 2.2 gamma seems off compared to the original icc?
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/94930126/original

My clipping is 4 bars red, 3 green.

Think I'll make a trip to the Apple store and try the patterns on some of the demo models hopefully one is a Samsung.

Just love the i5 13" hate to have to exchange it trying to find a Samsung display, but the display is important to me.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
Because the contrast varies wildly based on the angle of the screen I opened it as wide as possible (where the contrast is the best out of the box, IMO) to do the calibration.

I only touched the left-hand sliders as I felt like my eyes kept tricking me on true grey - I probably need a grey card or something to be sure what I'm doing.

My end result looks a little cool (blue-ish) so I may give it another go.

It does seem to improve overall contrast.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Because the contrast varies wildly based on the angle of the screen I opened it as wide as possible (where the contrast is the best out of the box, IMO) to do the calibration.

I only touched the left-hand sliders as I felt like my eyes kept tricking me on true grey - I probably need a grey card or something to be sure what I'm doing.

My end result looks a little cool (blue-ish) so I may give it another go.

It does seem to improve overall contrast.

The default colour temperature is very warm and has an almost brownish cast.

So after calibration it can look a bit cool in colour but keep playing, it took 2 goes to tweak fully for me too.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I downloaded what you posted for calibration...but I can't use it (I saw what the other kid posted but couldn't use it)...how do I import it so I can try it?

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks for this. I loaded your calibration file and the "coolness" was startling, but would be nice with a bit of tweaking, I believe.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Got it running copied it to /Library/ColorSync/Displays directory.

Does provide more contrast indeed,
darks are deeper, but 2.2 gamma seems off compared to the original icc?
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/94930126/original

My clipping is 4 bars red, 3 green.

Think I'll make a trip to the Apple store and try the patterns on some of the demo models hopefully one is a Samsung.

Just love the i5 13" hate to have to exchange it trying to find a Samsung display, but the display is important to me.
To check what display model it is type the following in terminal

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

LT = samsung
LP = LG

baxtr

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
Delaware
I'm surprised it looks good with the Samsung display. It really works well with the LG. If you have the Samsung, I recommend using Supercal to make a new profile for your Samsung.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Please download and run the supercal tool, it is easily better then the built in calibration.

Do the full test too.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Please download and run the supercal tool, it is easily better then the built in calibration.

Do the full test too.

I found running through the free version I ended up getting different results... but not really better results.

I find turning my contrast up via the "Universal Access" in system preferences (just a smudge up) gives better color but it's artificial.

I wish there were a way to maintain the colour accuracy but give some more saturation/depth.

shawnmac

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
When trying to move these .icc files into /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays it prompts for the user password saying that Finder wants to make changes. Is this normal? Seems like it would be, but I'm relatively new to the mac world so I wanted to make sure since these .icc files are being downloaded from the internet and it seems like they are being pasted outside of the user account so want to make sure they are safe.

thanks

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
When trying to move these .icc files into /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays it prompts for the user password saying that Finder wants to make changes. Is this normal? Seems like it would be, but I'm relatively new to the mac world so I wanted to make sure since these .icc files are being downloaded from the internet and it seems like they are being pasted outside of the user account so want to make sure they are safe.

thanks

yes...because you're not supposed to be poking in that folder if you're a typical user. it's just warning you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.