Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimBobBennett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Over a beer or two last night, my wife expressed an interest in learning how to write iPhone apps. :eek:

Quite surprising really as she's never shown any inclination this way before, and is not technology literate.

So, can anyone recommend any good books for the total beginner - someone who has never even seen basic before?

Knowing her, and how she works, what I really need is something simple and light hearted which will allow her to get a basic iPhone app running quickly. She's not the kind of person who could wade through K&R and learn C first, she'll need to see something fairly rapidly to keep her interested enough to carry on learning. Something like a dummies book would be ideal, but I hear the Obj-C one is aimed at XCode 3.2, so she will be confused by using XCode 4.

I would just start her on C# (its what I do for a living), but its the iPhone that has got her thinking, and I don't really want to splash out on MonoTouch in case she doesn't get in to it.

So, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think she should at least learn Objective-C first or she may be lost with the syntax of creating iPhone apps. This is a good book to start with. This one is good also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm a total newbie too and i've purchased a few books which i have struggled to get to grips with to be honest and to make things worse they are written for Xcode 3.2 which doesn't help.

I was told about this book, Programming in Objective-C (3rd Edition) by Stephen G. Kochan which i purchased and so far i'm getting to grips with everything he's teaching, he explains things very well and gives nice examples.

I don't think it's going to be a fast process to learn Objective-C for your wife, if like me i'm having to read some chapters several times because the first time i maybe don't totally understand the concepts being explained, second time i start understanding what's being taught but wouldn't be able to duplicate the examples given in the book without reference to the book itself.

I hope this is of benefit to you :D

Follows Closely

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I think she should at least learn Objective-C first or she may be lost with the syntax of creating iPhone apps. This is a good book to start with. This one is good also. I have both in PDF format (although I think the version of Programming in Objective-c 2.0 I have is the second edition). PM me if you would like and I can email them to you.

I am looking at getting into IOS development. I have 10+ years of Java programming experience. What books would you recommend?

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I think she should at least learn Objective-C first or she may be lost with the syntax of creating iPhone apps. This is a good book to start with. This one is good also.

Thank you so much for the literature, in your opinion which is better and why? I do know one is specifically written for Xcode 4.2 so maybe this is the best to start with?

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a total newbie too and i've purchased a few books which i have struggled to get to grips with to be honest and to make things worse they are written for Xcode 3.2 which doesn't help.

I was told about this book, Programming in Objective-C (3rd Edition) by Stephen G. Kochan which i purchased and so far i'm getting to grips with everything he's teaching, he explains things very well and gives nice examples.

I don't think it's going to be a fast process to learn Objective-C for your wife, if like me i'm having to read some chapters several times because the first time i maybe don't totally understand the concepts being explained, second time i start understanding what's being taught but wouldn't be able to duplicate the examples given in the book without reference to the book itself.

I hope this is of benefit to you :D

When I'm learning a new language, I usually read the entire book cover to cover first to get the overall ideas. Then I'll read each chapter, one at a time. Then I'll reread the chapter and do all the exercises. I find by then the ideas are pretty much tattooed in my brain.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you so much for the literature, in your opinion which is better and why? I do know one is specifically written for Xcode 4.2 so maybe this is the best to start with?

I think both books are excellent, but for me, I'd start with Learning Objective-C on the Mac. The Programming in Objective-C 2.0 gets a little math heavy, which makes it little harder read in my opinion.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I am looking at getting into IOS development. I have 10+ years of Java programming experience. What books would you recommend? Could you send me the two above so I could preview them?

I believe there are a few books written specifically for Java programmers looking to learn Objective-C. Try Amazon or Apress.

EDIT: Here is the book from Apress. Here is an online version.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I think both books are excellent, but for me, I'd start with Learning Objective-C on the Mac. The Programming in Objective-C 2.0 gets a little math heavy, which makes it little harder read in my opinion.

Yes I've been told by others to be prepared for a lot of math :)

I'm about to go into chapter 4, continue on or start the other book? Lol

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yes I've been told by others to be prepared for a lot of math :)

I'm about to go into chapter 4, continue on or start the other book? Lol

If you like the book, by all means keep reading. It only helps to read different books on the subject. You will pick up bits and pieces from each book.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
If you like the book, by all means keep reading. It only helps to read different books on the subject. You will pick up bits and pieces from each book.

Can I tell you a little about what I want my app to do? I honestly think it'll be easy to make once I know what I'm at :)

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I struggled with it :$ but it was my first book, maybe I jumped in to fast lol

I feel the same way. I wanted to run 100mph before I learned to crawl. I've now learned that it is better to to learn properly than to put out a garbage product. Or put out a product and have no idea how to update and upgrade it. Also keep in mind that programming books do have errors. Always look for the errata for the book you are reading.

JimBobBennett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Thanks guys, a few good recommendations there.

I've got a couple of the fruit covered appress books, and they normally seem good (though a bit advanced for my wife).

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks guys, a few good recommendations there.

I've got a couple of the fruit covered appress books, and they normally seem good (though a bit advanced for my wife).

The book I recommended from Apress, Learn Objective-C on the Mac, shouldn't be too advanced for her. Check it out here.

JimBobBennett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2009
The book I recommended from Apress, Learn Objective-C on the Mac, shouldn't be too advanced for her. Check it out here.

Yup. What I meant was the books in that range that I have are too advanced, not that particular one.

Thanks for all your help!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Moderator note: you cannot ask for or offer PDF copied of books to each other. These count as warez as defined in the rules:

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

I have cleaned all references to such from this thread. Keep this in mind when posting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.