Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigFlorida

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Florida
When I delete a song in my iTunes library it just seems to take them off the list and NOT from actual folder they exist in. Is there anyway to permanently delete unwanted songs from the entire systems from within iTunes?

Thanks in advance for any advice. -- A needy user.

twa747

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
When I delete a song in my iTunes library it just seems to take them off the list and NOT from actual folder they exist in. Is there anyway to permanently delete unwanted songs from the entire systems from within iTunes?

Thanks in advance for any advice. -- A needy user.

i know you can right-click (control-click) and select delete, and it will ask you if you want to delete it permenently

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Select the song from the complete Music Library, and not from a Playlist. Then the Delete key will remove it permenantly from the library. If you try to delete a song selected from a playlist then it only deletes it from the playlist, but keeps it in the library.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
When you delete a song this should pop up:

P3Xq3Qq

Clicking "Keep File" will remove it from iTunes but keeps the file on your computer. Clicking "Move to Trash" will remove it from iTunes and put the song in the trash.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
There is an exception to the above posts, and that is if you have your iTunes library on an external drive and have mounted it after iTunes has started, then it reverts to the default location in your Home folder. In that case it won't remove the file itself, but merely remove it from the index. Quit iTunes and start it again with the volume mounted to get the correct location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.