Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Thought folks would want to know:

You can get the "old" 60GB iPod photos w/ dock, AV cable, firewire cable, USB2 cable, AC adapter and carrying case for $479 at your local Apple store!

I was shocked when I went in and bought a 60GB and the receipt showed $479 and asked the clerk why - I felt foolish when I looked at the box more closely and saw that it included everything. Score!

I'm sure they don't have a ton, so hurry to your local Apple store if you're considering buying one. :)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I called my local Apple Store today, to see if they had any 6 gig mini's. They said yes, and I went to visit, hoping impulse would overcome rationalism. Unfortunately, rationale won.

Anyway, there were no signs anywhere acknowledging that new iPods were released, even though they had some in stock. Many people were looking at iPods, I hope they got a discount at the register bc I never heard a salesperson mention a discount or new iPods.

Maybe I'll check for the discount when my impulse rules. :)

Studawg7

macrumors regular
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
yeah i just picked up the 40Gb photo b/c it was such a great deal! It was the last one left at my school. it includes the dock, clip case, firewire cable, and video cable! I got it with student discount for $349!!!!! I couldnt pass it up. So now iPod, or I Pod lol

cheers

Monger

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2005
I just picked up the 40 gb for 349 with the educational discount also. I came across it by accident. I was ordering the 30gb online and I did a search for ipod photo to find the dock and there was the 40 at 349. After looking you can find it under special deals also. Pretty sweet deal considering that the 30gb + Dock + firewire cable was going to cost me more than the 40 just did.

Is there any difference between these models other than capacity?

criana

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2004
Connecticut
I had gotten a 40GB iPod Photo for my birthday a few days ago.

I had wanted the 60GB but my husband and I had rationalized that 600.00 dollars was just too expensive.

When the new ones came out on Wednesday, I called my local Apple store and asked if I could trade in. So I was able to trade in my 40GB iPod Photo for the old 60GB iPod photos and got it for 449.00 with the Ed Discount.

Very happy now :cool: :)

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Also, if you are in the UK you can try the John Lewis store. They have reduced the prices of the 60GB iPod today to 329 pounds from something like 440 pounds. Also, you get all of the extra's (carry case, dock etc.)..

I've just bought one and cancelled the order I placed for a 60GB from Apple (without the extra's)..

Mark.
UK

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Rower_CPU said:
Thought folks would want to know:

You can get the "old" 60GB iPod photos w/ dock, AV cable, firewire cable, USB2 cable, AC adapter and carrying case for $479 at your local Apple store!

I was shocked when I went in and bought a 60GB and the receipt showed $479 and asked the clerk why - I felt foolish when I looked at the box more closely and saw that it included everything. Score!

I'm sure they don't have a ton, so hurry to your local Apple store if you're considering buying one. :)

Yeah, I delibertely went hunting for the old 60 gig package and got the same deal. Well worth it for the FW cable and dock alone. I have also been using the carry case pending a decision on what case would be best to protect my first iPod.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
aswitcher said:
Yeah, I delibertely went hunting for the old 60 gig package and got the same deal. Well worth it for the FW cable and dock alone. I have also been using the carry case pending a decision on what case would be best to protect my first iPod.

I'm in the same boat with regards to what case to get - I'm leaning towards the iSkin eVo2, right now.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Rower_CPU said:
I'm in the same boat with regards to what case to get - I'm leaning towards the iSkin eVo2, right now.

Yeah, it looks pretty good but I am concerned about no wheel protection.

Although not as tough I kinda like the Podsleevz http://www.radtech.us/Products/Podsleevz.aspx but can't find a reseller in Oz. The dont glow in the dark but they do have a protected wheel, and dont look so cheap as plastic...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I'm not too worried about the wheel protection - besides, it seems like that would mess up the sensitivity of the touch wheel, wouldn't it?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Rower_CPU said:
I'm not too worried about the wheel protection - besides, it seems like that would mess up the sensitivity of the touch wheel, wouldn't it?

Friend of mine complains his iPod wheel gets black pretty quickly when left in bags etc and used often when exercising...I want to avoid that but those screen condoms (which I do use for my Palm) are not a great fix - too fiddly...

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...Up here in Canada the old iPod Photo 40GB are going for $479cdn - a pretty good deal seeing as the new 30gb iPod Photo is $439cdn...I had been thinking about a new pod to replace my ol' original 5gb and the $479 offer was perfect so I ordered one - should be here on Monday......oh yeah!

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
My local reseller had the old 40/60GB iPod Photos and the temptation was just too great I ordered a 40GB and the courier is scheduled to deliver it tomorrow. :)

Bless you ICQ for allowing me to hold a quick auction to sell my 20GB iPod 3G.

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
I just picked up the 40 GB Photo at the Mac Store MOA. They had to go in the back to get it but @ $399 it's worth it for the extra storage and cables.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Based on the information given by retrospek about the UK John Lewis store I've bought a 40GB iPod Photo.

The store is offering the 40GB iPod Photo for £269.00, which includes the dock and all the other accessories available with the 'old' model. Works out much better than the new 30GB iPod Photo, even with Educational discount as a dock and firewire cable are also required to match the 'old' 40GB included accessory list.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Rower_CPU said:

Ive got the evo2 for my 3rd gen 20gig iPod. I like it. It has an extra plastic screen that sits in the case but its not fiddly - it stays in their no probs. I like it because you can pull ur iPod through the clickwheel hole and whack that sucker into the iPod dock without having to remove the case. :) I havent had any problems with grim or scratches on the click wheel and I just chuck it into my bag with all my uni books, pens, mobile phone, wallet etc... :eek:

http://www.ipodlounge.com is the best reference point if you are looking at iPod cases. They had a buyers guide (dunno if its still there), in which they reviewed the best iPod cases. Check it out if u havent already.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
jules90000 said:
what exactly is the student discount, and what are the terms?

U just have to be a tertiary student (dont think it works for high school students - though I could be wrong). I think if u buy the product at a retailer u have to show your student card. When I bought my PB over the phone at the offical Apple store they didn't do any checks because they can't - they can't see my student card over the phone now can they? They just asked me which uni I went to but didn't take a student number or anything. So u could possibly lie and get cheap Apple products really easy that way - THOUGH I DON'T CONDONE THIS AT ALL! Im a poor uni student so I need all the discounts I can get! :p

Basically the terms are that u are using the product for educational purposes. Though I think this is a very loose definition. Really, how many people use their iPod for "study" or anything "educational"? :rolleyes:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I ordered the "old" 40GB iPod photo from buy.com (an Apple Store fulfiller) last week.

339.00 out the door. :D All the old goodies: dock, cable, case etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.