Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
For some reason my mail app doesn't auto update.

For example I will go into my mail app at 3pm and at the bottom it will say "last updated at 12:46pm" etc. Then it will update itself and there'll be like 20 new emails..

Reactions: rmpbklyn

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Do any of your email accounts support Push? Are they set to fetch manually, and not hourly, every 30 minutes, or every 15? You can check this in Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Fetch New Data. In Advanced you can configure settings for the individual accounts.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Huh? If you want help you might want to explain how your mail is setup. There are many options for how often it updates.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
It's set up exactly as it always has been for the past year..

add account... add mail account(s)...

everything else is default. push is on etc.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Generally when you want help it is good to give as much info as you can, not as little as possible.

Unless you decide to share more info here simply asking why your mail isn't working is not going to get you any answers.

Are you using yahoo, gmail, a work email account? What version of iOS? etc... Give everyone here as much info as you can.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Generally when you want help it is good to give as much info as you can, not as little as possible.

Unless you decide to share more info here simply asking why your mail isn't working is not going to get you any answers.

Are you using yahoo, gmail, a work email account? What version of iOS? etc... Give everyone here as much info as you can.

There really isn't all that much info to give.

iphone makes it simple to set up an email account. You select the brand of email you have then type your username and password. It's the same as it was for a year and now lately it just doesn't auto update.

I have the latest everything and both gmail and yahoo mail accounts.

Reactions: rmpbklyn

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Well that does help a little bit, since we now know that you have to mail accounts with different providers it is safe to say it is something on the phone.

Have you tried deleting the mail accounts from the phone and re adding them? That would be my first step.

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
There really isn't all that much info to give.

iphone makes it simple to set up an email account. You select the brand of email you have then type your username and password. It's the same as it was for a year and now lately it just doesn't auto update.

I have the latest everything and both gmail and yahoo mail accounts.

The basic GMail settings is not push, you need to set it up as an exchange acct if you want that feature.

No idea about yahoo

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
The easiest thing you can do is delete those accounts from the phone and set them up again making sure you leave everything on the default setting.

justfrfun

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Same problems

My wife and I just started having the same problems with our email. We are using exchange, hotmail, yahoo, and Gmail. We changed nothing, setting still the same and set to push but we have to actually open the email app now to update our email folders.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This happens on my iPad too. All exchange and set to push but new emails won't show up until I go into mail app. Luckily I don't rely on mail on my iPad.

iOS Mail sucks.

greenbuspass

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Same probs

Me too! It's just started doing it in the past few weeks, and I haven't changed anything. I have two gmail accounts and two hotmail accounts. The gmail accounts have always been slower to let me know I have new emails on my phone than the hotmail ones, but lately they've both needed me to open the mail app to receive my emails.

Luqman416

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
For some reason my mail app doesn't auto update.

For example I will go into my mail app at 3pm and at the bottom it will say "last updated at 12:46pm" etc. Then it will update itself and there'll be like 20 new emails..

Go to settings, then go to mail, at the top press accounts, then go to the bottom, and press "Fetch New Data" and press every 15-30 or whatever you want.
NOw it will update your mail Depending if you pressed 15 or 30 or hourly.
I had this problem and that is how I fixed mine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Go to settings, then go to mail, at the top press accounts, then go to the bottom, and press "Fetch New Data" and press every 15-30 or whatever you want.
NOw it will update your mail Depending if you pressed 15 or 30 or hourly.
I had this problem and that is how I fixed mine.
6 year old thread!

velile

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
6 year old thread!
This is a real issue which has nothing to do with “fetch” or “push”. For some years, I have the same problem on IOS. When the iPhone is in standby mode a notification will announce that new mail has arrived. The three line summary in the notification can be read. When the HOME button is pressed, the IOS Mail icon shows no unread emails in the Inbox. Mail then starts to download and eventually shows the new emails in the Inbox. The Mail icon also shows the correct status of unread emails. The individual emails and attachments have blank content initially which means that they must still be fully downloaded. Once the email system is active it receives and displays emails normally.

I have tried all the solutions: fetch and push in iOS mail. Reconfiguring Gmail Server settings. Resetting the phone. Deleting and recreating mail accounts. I have been to the AppStore multiple times and the geniuses have been unable to solve it either.

The thing is that the iPhone is receiving and displaying the new mail notification whilst in standby mode, but not in the mail system. This must be a bug.

rmpbklyn

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
same issue it only works if i go to a another folder say, junk/draft then I go back select another folder eg 'All mail', then I see the connecting and the fetch time to latest. however that's an issue if someone is sending you mail at night and you are charging phone say or eating dinner you don't know on the other end to refresh your email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.