Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Mac os 10.7 won't sleep on a 4gb 2.2GHz white macbook?

Thanks

Mac-Michael

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Mac os 10.7 won't sleep on a 4gb 2.2GHz white macbook?

Thanks

More info?

Did you chose Full Disk Encryption? It won't sleep until it's done encrypting the whole drive. How long have you had it installed and running?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
In the jungle the quiet jungle the Lion sleeps tonight...
Sorry I just had to!

Now seriously:
Does it not sleep when you close the lid, or does it just not sleep automatically? If it's the last one, then it could be an application preventing sleep. Quit everything and see if it still does it.

mackcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
it does the same. both ways apple>sleep and lid shut! When I had it on a different partition it worked?:apple:

mackcat

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Switching off Internet sharing fixed it. It never affected it in snow leopard?:confused:

ZachNyhus

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
But, but, but...

But what if I don't want to turn off Internet Sharing??? I NEED my internet sharing, and I also need to put my Mac Mini to sleep once in a while. Do I really need to go to the trouble of turning the Sharing on and off manually every single time I want to sleep or wake??? That's seems like such BS... :confused::confused::confused:

schalliol

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Carmel, IN
This post helped me out. I didn't realize that Internet Sharing would do this, and it does make sense to me why it can't sleep if it's acting as the router.

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
I still have issues getting my 2011 iMac to sleep. Yesterday it slept once via a 15 minute timeout. I think in the 5 weeks I've owned it it's only slept on it's own twice.

Oh well.

porkchopboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
2010 Macbook osx Lion. Won't sleep. off internet sharing not fix

Switching off Internet sharing fixed it. It never affected it in snow leopard?:confused:

Switching off internet sharing doesn't make any difference for me. it wont sleep on battery, or power when i close lid, also when i lift lid i have to remove power cable every time now before the screen will light up, the CPU doesn't stop when i close lid. and if i choose SLEEP from the apple logo the it looks like its gone to sleep (the sleep light dims but stays on) but if i then try to close the lid the sleep light goes bright again and stays like that.

I was expecting apple to make sure Lion was spot on before release to avoid looking stupid again like with all the embarrassing initial iphone4 snags thye had.
Now im stuck with a macbook that cant sleep? Maybe I should have listened to my pal he told me to wait 3 months before upgrading to Lion :)

I also had nasty graphics glitches on desk top screen since installed Lion, but i fixed it by changing screen saver to SOLID COLOUR.

Jiloo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
have the same issue.

i have no internet sharing.

but i had external tv connected. even if it was turned off mbp won't sleep.
plug the cable out and it sleeps again like a baby.

regards

pwatson80

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
UK
Done a little tinkering with the settings for ICS etc. No success.

What I have found is that if I use the :apple: menu sleep option rather than closing the lid, it works. Once I've woken the MacBook back up I can then close the lid and it goes to sleep after that, just like it should.

Looks like the :apple: menu option kicks it into touch.

Might work for others... Good luck, hopefully this is addressed in the future update.

Also be aware that when you do close the lid to enter sleep it seems to take longer than on Snow Leopard. I'm generally waiting around 20-30 seconds before it's snoozing.

Last edited:

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Turn Off Internet Sharing

Turning off Internet Sharing worked for me.

Background: I upgraded to Lion when it came out. I usually sleep my iMac each night, which worked just fine for several years with Snow Leopard. After the upgrade to Lion, I noticed that the iMac woke up very quickly in the morning - a quick check revealed that it was never going to sleep.

I had internet sharing (system preferences, sharing) turned on as several years ago I did not have an external wi-fi - I ran the internet cable into my iMac, then broadcast via the iMac's wi-fi. A few years ago we switched routers and the new one had a built in wi-fi. I had left the iMac wi-fi broadcast on apparently.

I turned internet sharing off, selected Sleep, then my iMac went to sleep for the first time in a week.

metis

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
deactiviating internet sharing puts iMac to sleep

i've deactivated internet sharing and puff... SLEEP works again under lion :eek:

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
I have nothing shared and my iMac still won't sleep on its' own. I have to use option+command+eject or the Apple menu sleep to sleep my system.

Oh well.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Same thing has happened to me on both a 2011 Mac Mini and 2010 Macbook Air. In both cases a reboot fixed it. Overall not a very stable operating system. Need to reboot every day or two anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.