Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeBilbao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
The new MacBook Air doesn't include an Ethernet port and there are times that it comes really handy. Maybe at the office or just at the hotel you can find an Ethernet plug and then you remember that your ultrathin portable computer lacks it.

Apple offers a solution with an adapter that sells por $29 plus shipping and taxes. Here in Europe you must pay 29 € plus 8.85 € shipping, resulting in a total of 37.85 €. This is more than $51... just incredible.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC704ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTk0MjUyNTE

2e4hl5f.jpg

But luckily there's another option: go to eBay and buy a compatible product. That's what I have made and once again the price difference is outstanding. I got it shipped including VAT and taxes for a mere 8,28 €, that is around $11.

2s1nckz.jpg

Externally there are no big differences. Better quality plastics for sure in the Apple model, including a gorgeous Apple logo, ... but this doesn't justify the price difference. Here in Europe this price difference is more than a 462%.

But differences do not end here.

The Apple device is compatible with Mac OS X and looking up the Q&A in its store web page, it doesn't work with Windows (more info here). and this means that if you use Windows natively with Bootcamp you won't be able to use it (it's not the case with VMWare because Ethernet is virtualized).

The compatible model includes drivers for every version of Windows, Mac OS X, FreeBSD and even Windows CE... You will get WHQL signed Windows drivers, 32 or 64 bits. That's a huge difference.

After a week of placing the order, I've received it perfectly protected.

v2y0yx.jpg

And this is the drivers CD.

2zscv1y.jpg

I don't like CDs because they're likely to be outdated. Instead I prefer going online to the manufacturer web page and check if there are newer ones. This is the case with the Moschip MCS7830 unit. You can download all the drivers and product documentation at http://www.moschip.com/mcs7830_downloads.php. It requires registering but it's easy.

10dxxc1.jpg

Once downloaded, you can verify that they run smoothly with your MacBook Air. Here's mine, next to the other two options that I use regularly: the included Airport Wi-Fi adapter and my iPhone 4 in tethering mode.

25h0f3p.jpg

This is another test in a different machine running Windows 7

x1c08l.jpg

And this is the detail offered by Mac OS X System Profiler. Sorry about the information being in spanish.

20uevk0.jpg

In the USA you can get a similar product at http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-Ethernet-10-100Mbps-RJ45-LAN-Adapter-Mac-OS-X-/170581229990 for $6.5 plus $2.99 shipping.

The best place to store this adapter is plugged with your Ethernet cable. You will never missed one or the other when you need both.

9fy39i.jpg

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

leowyatt

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2010
Merseyside
I must have struck lucky because I got my Apple USB ethernet adapter back when I had my iBook for around £10 including shipping off eBay. They do turn up now and again and it's nice not having to install drivers.

Good find though :)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
There are a few threads already about this, but if you are going to buy an adapter, you should have spent a little more and got a gigabit adapter.

Penooker

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
There are a few threads already about this, but if you are going to buy an adapter, you should have spent a little more and got a gigabit adapter.

Care you share one? The cheapest I saw was 3 times more.

With USB 2, might as well buy 2x 100Mb adapters and multi-hone for better performance than a single gigabit.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT

nonsense buying gigabit.. remember that adapter is going to stick on your USB.
maximum of 480mb. transfer rate

Eddiecisco

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Macbook Pro USB Ethernet Adapter Problem

The new MacBook Air doesn't include an Ethernet port and there are times that it comes really handy. Maybe at the office or just at the hotel you can find an Ethernet plug and then you remember that your ultrathin portable computer lacks it.

Apple offers a solution with an adapter that sells por $29 plus shipping and taxes. Here in Europe you must pay 29 € plus 8.85 € shipping, resulting in a total of 37.85 €. This is more than $51... just incredible.

But luckily there's another option: go to eBay and buy a compatible product. That's what I have made and once again the price difference is outstanding. I got it shipped including VAT and taxes for a mere 8,28 €, that is around $11.

Externally there are no big differences. Better quality plastics for sure in the Apple model, including a gorgeous Apple logo, ... but this doesn't justify the price difference. Here in Europe this price difference is more than a 462%.

But differences do not end here.

The Apple device is compatible with Mac OS X and looking up the Q&A in its store web page, it doesn't work with Windows (more info here). and this means that if you use Windows natively with Bootcamp you won't be able to use it (it's not the case with VMWare because Ethernet is virtualized).

The compatible model includes drivers for every version of Windows, Mac OS X, FreeBSD and even Windows CE... You will get WHQL signed Windows drivers, 32 or 64 bits. That's a huge difference.

After a week of placing the order, I've received it perfectly protected.

And this is the drivers CD.

I don't like CDs because they're likely to be outdated. Instead I prefer going online to the manufacturer web page and check if there are newer ones. This is the case with the Moschip MCS7830 unit. You can download all the drivers and product documentation at http://www.moschip.com/mcs7830_downloads.php. It requires registering but it's easy.

Once downloaded, you can verify that they run smoothly with your MacBook Air. Here's mine, next to the other two options that I use regularly: the included Airport Wi-Fi adapter and my iPhone 4 in tethering mode.

This is another test in a different machine running Windows 7

And this is the detail offered by Mac OS X System Profiler. Sorry about the information being in spanish.

In the USA you can get a similar product at http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-Ethernet-10-100Mbps-RJ45-LAN-Adapter-Mac-OS-X-/170581229990 for $6.5 plus $2.99 shipping.

The best place to store this adapter is plugged with your Ethernet cable. You will never missed one or the other when you need both.

;) ;) ;)

Hi, I just managed to install this adapter on my macbook pro, following these steps, everything works great, but the problem arises when I try to shutdown or even restart my mac, it closes out but does not complete either process and hangs until I have to force shutdown holding down the power button for several seconds.

Any idea would be appreciate it.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I agree that the Apple version is overpriced, but along with that cost goes confidence that the item will work well with their machines. I bought an alternative item from EBay to use with my 2010 MBA, but no new drivers have been created yet to support Lion, so I'm out of luck. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the Apple branded part.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
I agree that the Apple version is overpriced, but along with that cost goes confidence that the item will work well with their machines. I bought an alternative item from EBay to use with my 2010 MBA, but no new drivers have been created yet to support Lion, so I'm out of luck. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the Apple branded part.

Note the comments that the Apple one will not work with Windows bootcamp. It will work with Windows VM or Parallels.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
You know what...I bought a USB to ethernet adapter as well. It comes with the exact same packaging as the one you post, and the adapter looks exactly the same as well

5cgXg.jpg

However, it comes with a total different chipset AX88772B.

FmYh6.jpg

Therefore...different site/vendor sell different adapter with different chipset EVEN if they look the same.

DeBilbao

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I've send an e-mail to Moschip support and this is their answer:

Currently we do not have driver support for Mac OS X Lion. However, we keep updating our driver support for latest Operating Systems. Please check with us after few weeks of time, or you can contact the product manufacture for prioritizing the case.

;)

markedpaper

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I bought a LogiLink UA0025C:
cphho

and the drivers in the official page are old and only tested on 10.4.
I followed the link to download the drivers from the OP and they work on Lion :)
Thanks DeBilbao!

aph3x

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Reno, NV
nonsense buying gigabit.. remember that adapter is going to stick on your USB.
maximum of 480mb. transfer rate

480Mb/s > 100Mb/s

Provided you're connecting to a gigabit network it would actually be considerably faster to have a gigabit compatible adapter.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
It's been a long time since I've stayed in a hotel with Ethernet (or at least one where wifi or tethering wasn't preferable), but for those situations I used to always carry one of those little portable WAP / Router things so I wouldn't have to lug around an Ethernet cable that was rarely long enough anyway.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
I got the Apple USB Ethernet. I already paid 800.00 for the notebook... what's another 30.00 for the adapter? :)

allanchou

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011

LittleBlueCow

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Hi,

I just bought this item for my MBA and... didnt work :(

I downloaded the latest driver from here, rebooted and pluged the USB and nothing happened :mad:

Any help? Thanks in advance

Edit: I´ve tried other driver as posted #11 with the same result :(

Edit 2: With #11 and a ethernet cable pluged in, worked :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.