Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

presence06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
H-Town
Got a new Mac Mini Lion Server. I set it up and it works. But I don't know much about the Server side of OSX. I am trying to figure out how to manage our iPads via the Server. There's not much out yet on walk through's. I have the Profile Manager enabled and got the Certificates/defaults in there. I had it working where I could locally / same IP see the enroll page but now I've been playing around with the settings and trying to get other devices/different IP's to see the enroll page. Now I don't see anything. I can't get to the page locally or anything.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

- We want to be able to enroll devices and push restrictions, possible other things to devices.

presence06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
H-Town
I've managed to figure out the DNS issues, got the checkhostname to show correctly.

BUT, I'm still not able to access user portal or the profile manager via the web. The page can't be displayed.

Any help please?

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Convinced Lion Server is not ready for prime time

I think the issue I ran into, and a lot of other people are running into, is that while Lion works well as a general OS, the server bits just don't work. I had to restore to my Snow Leopard Server in order to get the features back that I never had a problem with, sharing files, VNC, etc. You will jump through hoops trying to get Lion to work as a server, only to find out that the components just do not serve properly.

The issue I repeatedly ran into is that you follow all the steps to get some server component to work, it works for a few hours, but reboot or disconnect or do something slightly different, and boom, it no longer works. The problem is the same features under SLS worked flawlessly for months prior to installing Lion.

I really hope someone can help you out, but bottom line is I just do not trust Lion as a sever product. Apple stripped out and cut back on too many server features and left the whole thing a mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.