Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It sucks but I'm very grateful for Lion's launchpad. Beats the snot out if me being OCD and wanting to organize the applications folder and then running into problems because of it. I can't wait to upgrade.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Can't stand Launchpad. Completely useless in my opinion. Let's see.. there is about a dozen ways to quickly and easily launch apps in MacOS:

- Spotlight
- Dock
- Finder
- Stacks on Dock
- Desktop shortcuts
- I can go on

Last thing I need is another method to launch apps.. especially one so cumbersome and inflexible as Launchpad.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It sucks but I'm very grateful for Lion's launchpad. Beats the snot out if me being OCD and wanting to organize the applications folder and then running into problems because of it. I can't wait to upgrade.

If you are as OCD as I was about organizing your applications folder, then you might not like Launchpad. It's clunky, you can only move one app at a time, and it dumps literally every executable icon into there....including a ton of icons you can't even launch apps from! Microsoft Office and Adobe stuff are bad for that. I have about 20 extra icons from MS Office and Adobe CS5 alone that I can't do anything with but shove them into a 'Junk' folder and I can't even hide that folder. :(

The dock doesn't hold enough for me, so I ended up getting Drag Thing as a dock replacement. It has tabs, is fully customizable, making even the built in dock for me useless (so I permanently hid it using Dock Gone) I have tabs for graphics, media, office, etc. So my OCD is satisfied :)

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Only thing I've seen as an improvement over the iOS methods is that you can just click and immediately drag an icon around. You don't have to make them wiggle first.

That being said, this feature seems really aimed at people transitioning to a Mac from an iOS device. I use it primarily on the first page only as follows.

Launchpad page 1 has all the apps I use but don't want to keep in the dock all the time, so its just quick access. All the apps in the dock or that I never launch go on page 2. This way I still use the dock for everything but for the rare occasions that I want to quickly lunch a lesser used app, I just open launch pad and its there on page 1. I never even flop over to page 2. Much cleaner for me than looking at a stack or folder full of every app.

I know a lot of people saying they used to make an alias folder for apps, I'm just using the first page of launchpad as that alias folder for the apps I still want quick access to but don't necessarily use every day. For this I love launchpad.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I know a lot of people saying they used to make an alias folder for apps, I'm just using the first page of launchpad as that alias folder for the apps I still want quick access to but don't necessarily use every day. For this I love launchpad.

For me - the best app launcher in MacOS is Spotlight. Cmd-Space + first few letters of app = done. No fiddling around with mouth/trackpad/UI elements.

MacPeach

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Switzerland
Launchpad Synchronization

Does somebody know, if launchpad can or is intended to be synced from e.g. desktop to laptop? Would somehow appreciate to do the work of app-organisation only once... thx

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Launchpad has pros and cons by my reckoning. The first screen (apple programs) looks great and organises well on its own. The next one's OK-there's just a folder of junk office and CS5 stuff. But I can live with that. Launchpad screens 3 and 4 are where it goes completely downhill in my opinion. Because that's where my Widows applications are, curtesy of Parallels. When I saw them there I was furious. :mad: What good is a launchpad to Windows apps when Windows isn't even booted up? :mad: I try not to go beyond screen 2 therefore, for the sake of my sanity.

swansonma

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
District of Columbia
How do you rename automatically created launchpad groups?!

I expected there to be some way to rename the launchpad groups but I've tried several things and there seems to be no way to do it.... Anyone figured it out or did Apple just forget about that part?

I'm in agreement, I think launchpad is not nearly as helpful as other features... but I'm guessing Apple added it in anticipation of touch screen computers or laptops...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.