Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Yeah, but I bet you could come up with a really cool avatar and sig.

Maybe this for both:

Older_Than_Dirt1.jpg

"Before my last birthday, dirt was older than me."

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Besse Cooper, also an American, is now the world's oldest person. Besse was born in August 1896 in Tennessee, was a teacher, and now lives in Georgia. She has 15 great-grandchildren and 1 great-great-grandchild. Why has she lived so long? "Minding her own business and not eating junk food."

Apparently Maria Gomes Valentim was the oldest person in the world being 47 days older than Besse Cooper, however she passed away yesterday giving the title to Besse Cooper.

Brazilian Maria Gomes Valentim put her longevity down to coffee, bread rolls, milk – and minding her own business
Source

It seems minding your own business is the key to long life.

You can watch Besse climb the list of oldest people ever here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_people

Oneness

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
Apparently Maria Gomes Valentim was the oldest person in the world being 47 days older than Besse Cooper, however she passed away yesterday giving the title to Besse Cooper.

Source

It seems minding your own business is the key to long life.

You can watch Besse climb the list of oldest people ever here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_people

There's you go. Wikipedia has proof that there is one physical activity that female totally dominate males in - living long.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Interesting statistic in that past age 110, your odds are 50/50 living for another year.

StvenH90

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Florida
My great grand mother is miserable in her "home". It also seems the human body usually deteriorates around 80 pretty quickly. I just assume to go into my garage and grab the keys to the fastest car I have... Then drive it off a bridge at an insane speed. I just don't intend having someone change my diapers or put the burden of paying for the home on family.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I just don't intend having someone change my diapers or put the burden of paying for the home on family.

A reasonable position to hold.

Unfortunately, Society does not agree. They own your ass, not you. Attempting suicide is against "the law". If you succeed, well, you gave them the finger.

My suggestion would be to go to Oregon, or another state that allows assisted suicide, and do it right.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
A reasonable position to hold.

Unfortunately, Society does not agree. They own your ass, not you. Attempting suicide is against "the law". If you succeed, well, you gave them the finger.

My suggestion would be to go to Oregon, or another state that allows assisted suicide, and do it right.

Did you see the documentary, How To Die In Oregon? Heartbreaking.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Did you see the documentary, How To Die In Oregon? Heartbreaking.

No, but I can guess that, in the main, they died alone.

Families can be selfish, when a loved one nears the End of Life stage.

They don't want anything to change, but it has to, and it will.

They should support their senior, and make the passage as easy as possible for him/her.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
No, but I can guess that, in the main, they died alone.

Families can be selfish, when a loved one nears the End of Life stage.

They don't want anything to change, but it has to, and it will.

They should support their senior, and make the passage as easy as possible for him/her.

In the cases they followed in How to Die in Oregon their family was always beside them.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Some say children born today may live to 150 and beyond.

Scientific American had an article years ago that there is currently an upper limit to longevity determined by the structure of DNA, and it's just not possible to live longer than about 120 years. Sure, life expectancy has risen, but the oldest people 1,000 years ago are the same age as they are today, about 120. Has to do with replication and the strands at the end of the DNA molecule. They lose a bit each cycle until the "live" code is hit, then things start to happen like loss of skin tone, hearing, all those age-related issues.
Now if they can figure a way to repair those ends it might be possible, but they said they currently have no idea how that is even remotely possible.
Moral: Enjoy what you have because you won't be around all that long.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Scientific American had an article years ago that there is currently an upper limit to longevity determined by the structure of DNA, and it's just not possible to live longer than about 120 years. Sure, life expectancy has risen, but the oldest people 1,000 years ago are the same age as they are today, about 120. Has to do with replication and the strands at the end of the DNA molecule. They lose a bit each cycle until the "live" code is hit, then things start to happen like loss of skin tone, hearing, all those age-related issues.
Now if they can figure a way to repair those ends it might be possible, but they said they currently have no idea how that is even remotely possible.
Moral: Enjoy what you have because you won't be around all that long.
Let's hear it for telomere research!

I know one of the researchers, who has been working on these "DNA ends" for several years. My favorite analogy is that telomeres are like aglets, the little plastic tips on shoelaces.

Hick4Ever

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G (MC): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

MrMacMan said:
Originally posted by evil
i wouldnt call her the oldest person in the world anymore.

Indeed what do you call the formerly oldest person in the world...

:rolleyes: :confused:

Dead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.