Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Does anyone else know the story behind the oft loved and collected toilet seat ibook design?

Well as the story goes, Steve came before the creative team in charge of designing the new "iBook" computer. The designs were all made out of very expensive clay/epoxy models and each was worth several thousand dollars in their own right in time, tools and materials. Apparently Steve had a hissy fit when he saw the first design and declared it crap and proceeded to knock it to the floor destroying it. He went down the line and had similar reactions to all of the designs (most of which were good or better then the final design by anyone's standards). Well Steve got to the end of the line and was so exasperated that he declared the toiletseat/clamshell design to be good and thus it became the iBook design. However we all know how short a life it had once it was released and gave way to the now 4 year old white iBook. That is why, it was never meant to be made if not for Steve having a hissy fit.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Goes to show you that they should show these design conferences in the conference room, instead of the bathroom.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Personally, I loved the Clamshell design for the iBooks. I actually started working for an Apple Dealer shortly after the white iBooks were released and I got alot of comments on how much better the general public liked the Clamshell. The main reason? How tough the things were, they were perfectly designed for someone who gave their laptop alot of abuse, I mean thoes things could take prety much anything you threw at them. Perfect for students who literaly threw their laptop around. The white iBooks can't take half of the abuse that the clamshells could, and personally, I loved the built in handle. The only downside that I saw to them was the bulk. All that plastic made it heavier, and more bulky. The white iBooks have it beat hands down there, but I still like the Clamshells.

No idea if the story about the design is true or not, but it seems unlikely to me.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
And I thought they were just a logical development from the eMate design by Jonathon Ives and his team.......(but I got my info from an interview with Ives printed in Computer Arts).

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Macmaniac said:
I liked the clamshell iBooks, however they could have been much better if they had 2 USB ports instead of 1, that was cheap on Apple's part.

Yeah. And it's pretty funny that the redesign was know as the "Dual USB iBook". Like that was the biggest change from the clamshell design. I guess it was shorter than "Snow white, two USB ports, 100Mhz bus, better video, faster G3 iceBook".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.