Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youngestchild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
sydney
who has bought a casing to protect their ipod?
i'm looking for a cover that will protect the whole pod, none of this cut out section for the screen/wheel business. so far the 'Contour Showcase for 4G iPod & iPod photo' is winning. Anyone have some positive/negative stories?

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i have several cases for my ipod ranging from ipod socks, to iskins to a paul smith designer one.

personally my favourite is the ipod socks, they stop scratches, dont make it any more bulky and look quite cool, also with my 3G ipod and the buttons on that, they still work through the sock which is good as i dont have to take it out of my pocket then!

youngestchild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
sydney
hmm, yeah!

yeah.. i'd kinda dismissed the socks but the more i look at the alternatives and not being able to find one i really like .. it's starting to be a much better option... i only wish they had a red sock. that'd be cool :p

what exactly are they made of wool, nylon/cotton? i just don't want them to be scratchy..

youngestchild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
sydney
another question....

i want it for an ipod photo how much room is left at the top of the sock? it it a coulple of cm's? or does it just sit flush? thankyou.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Get an iSkin. I got one for my 3G iPod 15GB I used to have. I put it in the iSkin teh day I got it. That was 6 months ago. I just sold it and i took it out of the iSkin. Not a scratch, flawless. It worked great through the iSkin too. Even came with a screen protector.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I like the socks as well. :) One thing though, has anyone tried washing them? I don't want to stick them in the machine and end up with something that will only fit the shuffle.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
MacAztec said:
Get an iSkin. I got one for my 3G iPod 15GB I used to have. I put it in the iSkin teh day I got it. That was 6 months ago. I just sold it and i took it out of the iSkin. Not a scratch, flawless. It worked great through the iSkin too. Even came with a screen protector.
I'll second that. I just got an iSkin Evo 2 earlier this week, and it does a GREAT job of protecting the iPod from harm... between the case, the screen protector, and the clickwheel protector, the only exposed elements are the headphone jack and the hold switch.

The only downside to the iSkins is that silicone is a natural dust and crap magnet, so an iSkin will fairly quickly lose its factory fresh appearance... for that reason, I am considering getting a Carbon (dark grey) iSkin to replace the Arctic (white) one that I currently have.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
clayjohanson said:
I'll second that. I just got an iSkin Evo 2 earlier this week, and it does a GREAT job of protecting the iPod from harm... between the case, the screen protector, and the clickwheel protector, the only exposed elements are the headphone jack and the hold switch.

The only downside to the iSkins is that silicone is a natural dust and crap magnet, so an iSkin will fairly quickly lose its factory fresh appearance... for that reason, I am considering getting a Carbon (dark grey) iSkin to replace the Arctic (white) one that I currently have.

where do you guys ordering/buying iSkin from?

boneca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
clayjohanson said:
I got mine directly from iSkin.com... Apple Stores also carry a LIMITED selection of their products (not all colors, and not all styles).

thx for reply, do you know places like CompUSA, BestBuy etc. carry those as well?

youngestchild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
sydney
yeah.. those iskin things look good and all the reviews i've read on places like ipodlounge seem happy with it.. but i have a cat with long white fur that could stick to teflon... and i'll be traveling soon.. i really want something that wont attract every little piece o dust... guess i'll just stick with the case and pouch that it came with..

or make my own "ipod sock" for little podpod... yep that's it's name.
podpod

jenniff

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Is Chicago, is not Chicago!
Where to sell?

I have a 3G 30GB iPod. I bought it at CompUSA back when they let you get the CompUSA replacement plan with it. I will be swapping my 3G this summer for a lovely iPod Photo, courtesy of this replacement plan.

I have a 3G leather case for my 3G iPod. How well (if well at all) does the iPod Photo fit into a 3G case? I know the four button holes will be rather superfluous considering the new form factor, but will the scroll wheel position be alright in contrast?

If not, if I have to sell my $60 worth of cases that I have accumulated over the past year and a half of having this 3G iPod, does anyone have a clue where I could sell these cases? eBay has tons of 3G cases, only one of which I saw actually selling (and only for $7 at that.. I understand I'll make peanuts for these cases, but I at least would like to 1)sell them 2)for SOME minor monetary value).

Thanks much, in advance, for the advice.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
for those of you that like the sock style pouch to hold your ipod, I just came across two sites recently that sell designs like that (but different):

foofpod.com

burninglove.biz

I ordered one from burninglove yesterday actually...

youngestchild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
sydney
all socked up n ready to go!

ooh. those Burning Love socks do look nice.... but i have my socked podpod sitting next to me in a sock i made myself! just found a nice pair of kids socks, sowed 'em up from the ankle, cut off the foot part n tada! one ipod sock.. actually .. repeat with the other sock, now i have two... i wonder what my girl will think of hers? :p

socks were $8 for the pair...

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
for my 4G iPod I vote for the iSkin. It pretty much protects every aspect of your ipod from the slight drop. I bought my iSkin with my iPod, so my iPod does not have any scratches, and the screen has no blisters. This should help if I want to sell it down the road and pick up an iPod photo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.