Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MilesNigel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Hello.

I am at my wits end here (which I'll admit sometimes isn't all that far), with how to troubleshoot a power-up failure on my Macbook A1181 (Black).

The problem started about a week ago. I had let the computer go to sleep, and when I returned to it I noticed that the white indicator light was no longer fading in and out. It was just steadily all the way on. I clicked a key on the keyboard and nothing happened. I pressed the power button for 1 second, nothing happened. I pressed the power button for 5 seconds and the screen flashed, then turned black. The white indicator turned off. At this point, the computer is completely unresponsive to the power button, except that the little light next to the camera at the top of the screen, the "flash", which occasionally flickers dimly one time when the power button is held down.

I checked the battery indicator, 5 green dots. When plugged into the power source, the power indicator is amber. Removing the battery, I removed and reinserted RAM. I put the battery back in place, pressed power, still unresponsive.

I removed the battery and power supply, and held down the power button for 10 seconds to reset the SMC and PRAM. Nothing. It is unresponsive to all combinations of battery in/out, power supply attached/detached.

This has happened a couple times in the last week, and letting the computer sit idle over night has helped in the past. This time, however, it seems to be permanently stuck.

I don't have the money to take it to Apple for a diagnosis/repair. Has anyone heard of this problem, or better yet, found any solutions? Replacing the logic board is a last resort option, I guess. But obviously I'd rather exhaust all other options before resorting to that.

Thanks for any tips!!

Miles

MilesNigel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Okay, this is ridiculous. All day it hasn't started up, and while waiting for my bus I tried again. Same stupid flicker of light next to the camera, nothing more.

Out of frustration I started repeatedly pressing the power button and got the screen to flicker. Then I started pumping the button like I was giving the thing CPR, and "ding!" It started up! Grey screen at first, like when it runs out of battery life mid use. Weird.

I'm sure this is going to happen again tho. Wonder how many times my resusitation technique is going to work... at least it's backed up, so no info loss. I'll keep you posted!

Miles

MilesNigel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Guess who's dead again?? And this time my resuscitation technique isn't bringing it back. I'll let it chill a couple hours and try it again.

Any thoughts at all?

MilesNigel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
So, today's whack-azz method of turning my computer back on involved shaking it horizontally, with the lid closed about 75%, and repeatedly pressing the on button. This is getting more involved by the day.

I've decided to change my energy settings and disable sleep mode. From now on, I will be booting and shutting down every time I use the computer. This problem has only happened while trying to wake the computer from sleep mode, never from a complete shut down.

We shall see!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
It may be something as simple as the power switch on the keyboard/topcase.

When you say that there is a flicker of a green light next to the camera - that is not normal (!!)

Apple will normally look at and give an estimate without charge but that may depend on what country you are in. Worth a try.

Is the top case cracked along the front edge anywhere - maybe if Apple replaced it with a new one (the power switch is included !!) that may help.

*Emilia*

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
sound like it could be the logic board... mine has gone bad twice in the last 3 months. I brought it in for the tiered repair that apple is now offering. for 280 plus tax they will fix everything that is wrong with it. Everything in the computer is under warranty for 3 months after, so if anything else goes wrong in that time period, they should cover it. I was told by one employee because my second issue wasn't related that it wouldn't be covered, but then went back and talked to someone that actually knew what they were talking about and found that it is all parts!... good luck, i know how much it sucks... oh and the repair facilities have an awesome turn around time of 3 to 4 days to and back from your hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.