Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E30Adam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I recently did the update to OSX and since then my mac has gone horribly wrong and I'm hoping you can help me find the problem and fix it!!

There are many many problems now and I'll list what's happening:

iTunes - When I try and launch iTunes I get the error "The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (13014)"

Mail - I get the following error when trying to retrieve messages - There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Gmail” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to host pop.gmail.com on port 995 failed.

Appstore - I get "Cannot connect to the app store"

Spotify - Doesn't work, when launching I get the error "keychain "login" cannot be found to store "nothctap" (that's my username). When I try and play a song I get an error "There was a problem storing temporary files on the hard disk"

Safari - Randomly crashes and won't access my internet banking or any apple help sites. I get a blank browser with the following text - Safari can’t open the page “https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=0&tstart=0” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

I can't download anything at all, when I try and download something I get the following error - Safari could not download the file “Name of file in here” because there is not enough free disk space.

When I go to my hard drive and click get info, it's telling me I've got 44GB of free space.

Please can someone try and help me out. I didn't have time machine set up and I can't find my snow leopard disk anywhere so I'm stuck as to what I should do. I wanted to upgrade to Lion but I can't access the App Store to download it.

Many thanks in advance

P.S. It wouldn't even allow me to post this, I've had to use my iPhone. Could this be a virus???

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I recently did the update to OSX and since then my mac has gone horribly wrong and I'm hoping you can help me find the problem and fix it!!

iTunes - When I try and launch iTunes I get the error "The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (13014)"

Mail - I get the following error when trying to retrieve messages - There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Gmail” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to host pop.gmail.com on port 995 failed.

Spotify - Doesn't work, when launching I get the error "keychain "login" cannot be found to store "nothctap" (that's my username). When I try and play a song I get an error "There was a problem storing temporary files on the hard disk"

Safari - Randomly crashes and won't access my internet banking or any apple help sites. I get a blank browser with the following text - Safari can’t open the page “https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=0&tstart=0” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

I can't download anything at all, when I try and download something I get the following error - Safari could not download the file “Name of file in here” because there is not enough free disk space.

When I go to my hard drive and click get info, it's telling me I've got 44GB of free space.

Please can someone try and help me out. I didn't have time machine set up and I can't find my snow leopard disk anywhere so I'm stuck as to what I should do. I wanted to upgrade to Lion but I can't access the App Store to download it.

Many thanks in advance

P.S. It wouldn't even allow me to post this, I've had to use my iPhone. Could this be a virus???

Not being able to save downloads might be a permissions problem. Go to your user folder, pick downloads, option click and pick show info. Under show info go to sharing and permissions and make sure you have read and write permission, then pick "apply to all enclosed items". You should then be able to download something. I suggest you get a second browser. Google Chrome is a good choice as a first or second browser on a Mac. Living with only Safari is not something I recommend. There is very little malware for OS X, but the little bit that does exist relies on safari to get in.

A virus causing this? I think not. There are only a handful of OS X malware issues and OS 10.6.8 is able to get rid of them.

Once you have a second browser, I suggest a second email client. A good free one is thunderbird. Again you are using it only for testing. With 44GB free, having an "extra" browser and an "extra" email client is not much of a waste.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51

Many thanks in advance

The last update was an intentional screwup by Apple to force everybody into dumping the best OS (Snow Leopard) they've ever produced and make you upgrade to an inferior, bloated, slow Lion.

~Lion, the Vista of OS X. :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Could this be a virus???
No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
The last update was an intentional screwup by Apple to force everybody into dumping the best OS (Snow Leopard) they've ever produced and make you upgrade to an inferior, bloated, slow Lion.

~Lion, the Vista of OS X. :p

I must say I agree so far. Especially on slightly older hardware. And 10.6.8 slowed my MacBook Pro (2010 13") down quite a bit on startup. It is a secondary machine and I even reinstalled 10.6.3 and upped to .8 and experienced the same thing. Boot time significantly slowed (and this is not the first boot after the .8 install - this is many boots later). With 10.6.7 it was much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.