Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
By accident I entered the wrong wifi password. I need to change it so I can connect to wifi. I know how to do this on Snow Leopard, but I can't get it to work on Lion.
All Help Appreciated,
Thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
System Preferences > Network > Advanced... > Select your network > Click that small pencil icon next to + and - icons.

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
What goes in the username field? I just want to change the password to connect because I entered it incorrectly the first time.

sparkie1506

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Europe
System Preferences > Network > Advanced... > Select your network > Click that small pencil icon next to + and - icons.

I have done as you said.. System Preferences > Network > Advanced... > Select your network > but I don't see the pencil icon, am I missing something on my OS X Lion install or did they forget to add it :confused:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have done as you said.. System Preferences > Network > Advanced... > Select your network > but I don't see the pencil icon, am I missing something on my OS X Lion install or did they forget to add it :confused:

I don't see it there either. It used to be there. Just delete and add again.

Attachments

• Network.jpg
    Network.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 5,926

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I tried delete and add again but the old settings seem to be stored and it just adds the old settings. It there some way to hard delete?

You deleted them, hit OK, then Apply on the screen before and it still saves the network?
Check your keychain and delete the entry there if above does not work.

solarisc

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2006
I am using OS lion and did what the poster said but it didn't have the pencil icon, how am I going to get it to show the password. I need to retrieve the password from the wifi network very badly.

Thanks for all of your help

Aaron122

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Not in Keychain

I read and went through this thread, doing as you say. But when I got to Keychain, all my wireless networks were there except for the one I'm trying to change. It is definitely WPA-2 Personal and has the little lock on the side so it must have a password. But it seems that it's not in the Keychain Access.

ImAppalled

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
There is no pencil/edit icon next to wifi connections

I read and went through this thread, doing as you say. But when I got to Keychain, all my wireless networks were there except for the one I'm trying to change. It is definitely WPA-2 Personal and has the little lock on the side so it must have a password. But it seems that it's not in the Keychain Access.

I'm having the exact same problem. I visited the link posted by Rowf and followed instructions -- when I get to the Keychain app, I see plenty of stored wifi passwords, but not the one I want.

The bottom line is that WIFI passwords are not editable/viewable through 'Network - Airport - Advanced'.

I'm using a Macbook running 10.7.4

Any ideas?

[[ Update -- I just tried going through the same process on my girlfriend's macbook running 10.6.1. On her Mac, the pencil icon DOES appear, allowing you to view/edit icons. So is this a 10.7 thing? ]]

Last edited:

allexp

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012

In the Keychain look for it under System/All items.

Lu.17

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Ignore the fact that your desired connection is check-marked in the drop down menu, and go to the bottom and select 'join network' - type in the name of the network you want and then you will be prompted for a password. This should allow you to reset.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
Ignore the fact that your desired connection is check-marked in the drop down menu, and go to the bottom and select 'join network' - type in the name of the network you want and then you will be prompted for a password. This should allow you to reset.

Mine isn't.

I have the Macbook Air 2013.

This is a very frustrating problem.

Why can't we have the option to re-input PASSWORD or FORGET the network????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.