Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Big, massive, complex apps with long histories, massive developer teams, and massive testing programs, are slow to change. Maybe all these features are easy to do for Office, as they have been easy with (some) other apps; and maybe no consequences or bugs will result from the changes. Maybe. Or maybe this really is something that needs to be done right, albeit slower than we’d like.

I give Microsoft credit here: they’re not waiting for the next big version, nor playing “wait and see.” I wonder how Adobe’s handling these features....

How do we know that work on these features isn’t partly done, and has long since been in progress? Yes, it’s amazing to think that changing one part of a software program could impact other parts, and that it could take months and months. But that is in fact the case sometimes. Is it the case here, or is the Mac BU just being slow and not caring? The latter might be true, I won’t deny--but I don’t think we have the evidence to accuse them yet.

Fullscreen is so simple to implement, it's stupid, they could have at the very least thrown that in. I don't know too much about autosave or versions though, but I know they're not hard either.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Odd Macrumors left out the part that Microsoft is issuing an update to make the programs stable in the next few days. Office 2011 > iWork all day!

Because that's not news. They've been issuing those updates for years. :D

To be fair, Office for Mac is vastly more stable than Office on my work PC. Though that could well be because my work PC is loaded with a million other over engineered programs and components....

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am glad that Microsoft is going to offer this update, even if it takes some months before it comes out. Of course I would prefer to have it now, but I didn't really believe that Microsoft would offer such an update.

Giacchino

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Why iWork, why?

I agree with what many people said, if only iWork was more compatible with Office then I doubt that many people would actually invest in office, as Pages is generally as nicer layout, though Office has a huge focus on features at your fingertips, when will one ever even use half of the tools and features that are on the main ribbon. I don't mind this but when compared to pages and the rest of the iWork apps, I do think about the future and when I can finally upgrade to iWork 11 or 12 whenever that comes out, but if only compatibility wasn't such an issue.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Microsoft, poor effort, why can you not see the benefits of having this ready? Are you really this incompetent? Oh yes, I knew that already.

Ballmer is the worst excuse for a CEO anyone could find for a major organisation. Thy need to get rid of him.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
One missing feature

For the love of all that's good add the Selection pane in PowerPoint already. You've been able to rename animation objects forever on Windows and still cannot do it on the Mac.

Honestly do that and I'll upgrade from 2008 to 20XX.

KamuiVII

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
MS is just slow and thought Lion wouldn't have this many features. I guess the Mac Dev Team was ordered to decode Lion and find ways to put *steal* those features and put them into Windows 8... instead of updating the current products

those who care, iWork 09 has full screen ability just like '11. :D

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Outlook 2011 doesn't even have a functioning Junk Mail filter for Exchange accounts yet. Can they work on that first?

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
How many months did they have to get a head start? Office is a great product on the Mac but this kind of attitude is why MSFT is losing market share.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
This is incorrect. Mindnode does, in fact the feature was released about the same time as Lion was released. I guess those guys have dev accounts. :cool:

I know with certainty that Fullscreen isn't hard to implement now, in fact, that's the whole point of OS-wide support. Same with versions and autosave.

Completely unrelated, but I just found this picture of steve jobs from the recent keynote at moscone west:
How sweet.

Great pic! He's not a heartless monster after all.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I actually see this a good news ... I wasn't expecting that MS will adopt the new features/APIs any time soon (more with the next major version, not as update) ... So I'm glad to see it's coming.

I don't get it... Office 2011 (or at least Word) already has full-screen application support. They make it seem like it doesn't...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURqXsLfBK8

Outlook e.g. does not support Fullscreen.

The Fullscreen in Word is complete different than the Lion Fullscreen - it e.g. does not open in its 'own' space like Lion Fullscreen apps -> gestures to switch between desktops/full-screen-apps do not work correct since it is still treated like a window on the desktop (that just covers everything else up)

Last edited:

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
love the eloquent interface of iWork and specifically Pages. In my situation, i still require Microsoft Office for my classes as iWork doesn't have the same layout and functionalities that i require. This is a disappointment, but nothing too big

and I'm getting a bit doubtful of iWork '11

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Odd Macrumors left out the part that Microsoft is issuing an update to make the programs stable in the next few days. Office 2011 > iWork all day!

Not for some of us. For many iWork > Office 2011. It all comes down to what you need. For me I crank out stuff in iWork much faster than Office, but some users need the extra features of Office that I do not so for them Office is a better choice.

Also to everyone saying MS should have had these updates already, software development just isn't that simple. Larger programs that do a lot of different things will have a harder time getting updates pushed. Just because there was a developer preview of Lion doesn't mean it was feasible for many companies to take advantage of it. Lots can change during a dev preview so many wait until preview 3 or 4 to start getting programs ready.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
of course microsoft didnt want their software to work, that would have made lion look better by it having one less problem

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
I remember when they said the same thing back when Office was incompatible with Spaces. It ended up taking years for it to be resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.