Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drxcm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Have the 2010 11" Air

Just installed Lion and now have at least a few seconds when waking before the mouse cursor will move and become useable. A little disappointing considering how quick it was to wake earlier.

Anyone else noticed this?

Is it any different on the 2011 models?

PaulDoFish

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I was thinking the same thing.. My sisters' 2010 & 2011 MBPs with Snow Leopard (13 inch base models) wake up faster than my 2011 13 inch base MBA :/

utstudent

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
my 2010 11" mba wake up slower on lion too. I think it have to do with the "resume" feature in Lion. It also drain my battery too :(

ddong

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
what the hell.. how long does it takes? the resume fonction is for restart/shutdown! no way for sleep!

The Norman

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Mine too. Will the OS "learn" and get faster or is this it? Slower in and out of sleep/power.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Apple just historically is terrible with new software on old hardware. I installed Leopard on my G4 Powerbook in 2008. Worst mistake ever. Everything was slower. Expose and transitions were laggy, jumpy. I got used to it, but it never got better. :eek:

Another example is old iPhones/iPod Touches with new iOS updates. Every time I updated, I noticed lag and a much shorter battery life. Each time I ended up resetting it to the original OS.

Now I never bother to upgrade the mac or iphone OS. Nothing can ever beat the native OS that came with the original computer/iPod/iPhone. It usually just makes things worse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
It is what it is.

I noticed the same thing but I can live with it. Maybe the next update will help. Still impressed how bug free this OS is over all.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Yeah

It must be a lion bug if it's not working on the 2010 models either. With snow leopard I had great instant on results with my 2010 MBA

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The posts to this thread, along with my own experience, have convinced me that Lion is not ready for prime time. I installed it on my 2010 MBA last week and it's been nothing but trouble. I run windows 7 in a VMware Fusion virtual machine, with a couple of Windows apps open, simultaneously with 5 or 6 OS X apps. With Snow Leopard page outs never amounted to more than 2 or 3 percent of page ins and I never saw a beachball. With Lion, though, page outs are running at about 20 percent of page ins and I am frequently experiencing beachballing.

I learned yesterday that the search function is broken in Mail 5.0 so that it's no longer possible to do a full text search of all messages or a single mailbox. An Apple Care tech confirmed that this was the case and submitted the bug to Apple engineering.

I use Chrome as my browser and never had any trouble with it in earlier versions of OS X. With Lion, though, in order to close Chrome I have to use force quit about two-thirds of the time.

I just hope Apple cleans up its mess promptly

smickle1111

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
Same thing here - i noticed it day one when i got the new air.

2011 mac air 13" i7 - 256 gig.

instant on following sleep worse if require password to be entered.

without a password its ok, but the cursor lags/sticks for a couple seconds!

overall lion works well...

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Apple just historically is terrible with new software on old hardware. I installed Leopard on my G4 Powerbook in 2008. Worst mistake ever. Everything was slower. Expose and transitions were laggy, jumpy. I got used to it, but it never got better. :eek:

It is not just 2010. There are tons of posts about the new MBA's doing it as well.

You really shouldn't throw around generalized stats based on YOUR experiences. I have had many older Macs that OS updates seemingly made better, especially with Leopard and even more-so with Snow Leopard. In fact, my 2006 iMac was the last thing I put SL on and that machine was an all new kind of beast afterwards.

At any rate, it does not apply to everything. And OBVIOUSLY older things will sometimes not work well with newer releases. That is just common sense.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually I had this issue in the first two days on my MBA but now it is working as it should. Waking up from sleep is instant, or close enough.

jomo25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
There was another thread on this previously. Here's my experience.

On my '10 11" MBA with SL, it was instant on. I mean instant. And the trackpad was instantly available also.

On my '10 11" MBA with Lion, it was the same. Instant on. Instant trackpad.

On my new '11 11" MBA with Lion, it is about 1 second before the screen comes on, and another 1.5 sec for the trackpad to become active.

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
WOW! I thought it was just my MBA, since I haven't seen anyone say anything about it online. Mine is hella slow. Probably 3 - 10 seconds from sleep. I do have a password, which I never put on my MBP 13, so I figured it was that.

Lion on the new MBAs seems to be really buggy, to me, anyhow. Like this evening, I was connecting to a new wifi network, I missed the password, started to enter it again and the whole system was frozen solid. ;(

Lion is too buggy.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Am I understanding the issue correctly that waking up is taking 3 seconds instead of 1? :confused:

pretty much. Its no better than my 2008 MBP that I'm replacing. Very disappointing considering the hype around 'instant on'. Still loving the responsiveness but thats probably just the SSD.

Brenzo

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
Chicago
I was a little surprised to see this delay with my new 11" Air (i5) and am just chalking it up to 10.7.0 and assuming that it'll be improved along with a bunch of other "bugs" I've stumbled across in the first week.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Wow guys. I mean, wow. Ok, I get it. I guess since i come from Windows and the land of the 3 minute boot, anything under 5 seconds is pretty much instant to me. For me at least the difference between 5 seconds and 3 seconds and "instant" is just not that important. I can wait. :D

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Wow guys. I mean, wow. Ok, I get it. I guess since i come from Windows and the land of the 3 minute boot, anything under 5 seconds is pretty much instant to me. For me at least the difference between 5 seconds and 3 seconds and "instant" is just not that important. I can wait. :D

Yes I know, its still pretty quick and we shouldn't moan. Except Apple kind of invite it when they market 'instant on' as a key point of the MBA.

And the MacBooks generally are very fast coming out of sleep compared to many PC laptops,but the air was supposed to be even better. 30 days standby, instant on and 7 hours battery life is a compelling sales pitch

if it doesn't actually last 30 days in standby (some are having issues with lion), and doesn't wake up any quicker than a normal macbook, then that is kind of disappointing, no?

hereyago

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011

I come from windows and it used to take around 30 seconds to boot though.

But you're right. I can't believe people are complaining about 3 seconds :eek:

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006

Another example is old iPhones/iPod Touches with new iOS updates. Every time I updated, I noticed lag and a much shorter battery life. Each time I ended up resetting it to the original OS.

Now I never bother to upgrade the mac or iphone OS. Nothing can ever beat the native OS that came with the original computer/iPod/iPhone. It usually just makes things worse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Software upgrades usually come with new features taking advantage of new technologies which require more resources so obviously (in most cases at least) new software will run slower on older machines unless its specifically designed to improve performance for said machine. Its not rocket science!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.