Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevMDR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Would greatly appreciate any advice on this...

Own a 13" MBP about 1-1/2 years old. Few days ago, the pointer froze up so I did a manual restart...got the old "blinking folder with question mark." Looked for answers on forums...tried every kind of restart possible...went to reinstall Snow Leopard and the HD did not show up on the list of possible install locations (in fact nothing showed up). Ran Disk Utility and again the HD was not shown.

Every bit of research I did on various Mac forums pointed to a failed HD. Today I bought a new 500 GB HD, installed it according to directions on a YouTube video. Again when running the Snow Leopard install disk, the HD didn't show up. Ran Disk Utility to see if I could format the drive...and it doesn't show up on Disk Utility either.

Is there anything else that can be causing the blinking folder/question mark? Is it possible that the original hard drive wasn't the problem? Or is there something else I need to do for the Snow Leopard installer to recognize the new hard drive? Thanks in advance for your responses!

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
The new hard drive should show up in disk utility. It appears as though it could be any combination of the following.
1.) Your original hard drive died.
2.) Perhaps the SATA cable came lose, so disk utility doesn't recognize the drive.
3.) The new hard drive is dead.

I'm guessing you don't have another computer lying around, or USB to SATA cable to see if either drive works?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
That sounds like you have a bad hard drive cable or problem on the logic board. Take it to Apple and see if they can run a diagnostic.

It's POSSIBLE you had two bad hard drives, but unlikely.

If possible, try both hard drives in a USB or Firewire external enclosure and see if they work. If they do, it's a bad cable or, worse, a problem on the logic board.

RevMDR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. It was indeed the hard drive cable. Had it replaced with a used one...whole repair cost $60. I appreciate the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.