Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unsped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
am i missing something here, but if i plug in a thumb drive, external hdd, external cdrom they are mounted in the finder but i don't get a shortcut on the desktop. same thing with downloaded .dmg's

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
That is because the desktop you see isn't the desktop anymore, it is a space to open apps. Odd I know. There is a tool listing on OSXDaily that will show the desktop by defaul and any hidden files, which I like, or go to finder, then click "Desktop" on the left side bar to actually see your desktop and related items. But frankly, after doing that, I just removed my icons from my desktop and made my drives visible on the left side bar of finder.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Go into Finder -> Preferences and on the General tab make sure the options are checked for Hard Disks, External Disks, etc.

unsped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
@marc11 - even if i go to my user/desktop folder i don't see the mount icons
@macmaniac76 - it would appear that lion doesn't have that option, at least my general pane doesn't show anything related to those items.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
@macmaniac76 - it would appear that lion doesn't have that option, at least my general pane doesn't show anything related to those items.

IT must. Open a Finder window. Now File, Preferences, and in the General tab (first one), there are 4 options. Tick/untick those.

Attachments

• Finder.jpg
    Finder.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 343

unsped

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
excellent thanks, sorry i thought people were saying general under system preferences. my icons are back!

Spyd3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Hello! I've got all this preferences checked - External disk drivers; CD ... & etc - but i don't have icons on a desktop. I've got latest updated LION OSX - what else may cause such problem?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello! I've got all this preferences checked - External disk drivers; CD ... & etc - but i don't have icons on a desktop. I've got latest updated LION OSX - what else may cause such problem?

Try resetting PRAM.

dakotaspurs

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Drives not mounting

I'm having the same issue as here ... has anyone else come across it?

I connected a new Time Capsule yesterday and their blue drive icons were coming up when I connected to them.

But now they won't come up. I can connect to the drives, but they don't mount on the desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.