Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Holy crap, I can't get this thing off of the top of my MacBook. Anyone have any tips on removing the top shell of the Speck case? It's on there damn tight, and I need it off!

jwood515

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Same problem--any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem with my MPB 15". I can get the bottom Speck cover case off without any trouble. The top part is impossible to remove. I've pulled so hard on the case I've almost cut my fingers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
my friend had this problem...he had to bring it to a apple store where they mercifully helped him take it off. i don't know how they did it.

digitaldion

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
Removing Speck case froma Macbkook Air

use a credit card. works great.

Yup, a credit card works perfectly, just be careful! What I did was to insert the credit card close to the top of screen (insert the card between the back of the Air's screen and the Speck case), slide the card down towards the top clip of the case, when you get close to the clip use your fingernail to press the clip gently away from the Air's casing. Do the same with the lower clip on the same side of the Air's screen. Once those two clips have been gently opened you simply slide the cover off.

Make sure that you don't get any fingerprints on the bottom of the Speck case - clean it well to ensure there is no dust or dirt.

I love the Speck case, I have a red one for my Macbook Air (I am a FREQUENT traveler and it protects my precious Mac without having to put it into a dorky neoprene ZIP cover (that never quite fits)... Also draws quite a bit of attention to the Air!)

Cheers,

Dion

http://www.spirituality.org.za
Macbook Air
15" Macbook Pro (older version)
iMac
iPhone...

Baron83

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Colorado
Credit card works for MacBook Pro

I just opened the top enough to slip in the long side of a credit card, slid it down and it popped right off. Keep the other hand on top; when it pops off it really pops off.

emon878

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Canada
Just found the best easier way to do it. Use your teeth.

Actually, put your bottom teeth on the part of the notch that stick out, not the part that touches the mac the part that goes in and touches the screen just, put your teeth on the edge part the fat part and just slightly push with your tooth it pops right off. Really easy.

Good Luck

Tess888

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
I Think I Found The Secret!

This information is for the 15" MacBook Pro, but I think it will work with all the laptops

I struggled to get the top part of the Speck case off until I found this very simple method. As you probably know by now, the bottom part is not difficult to remove, so I'll skip this part. The top, however, can be another matter.

1. First, turn your computer off...this is not essential, but I just think it's easier to manipulate the computer when it is off.

2. Next, open the top as you would when the computer is in normal use. You will notice that there are 5 tabs holding the top of the case in place...2 on the bottom near the computer keyboard, 2 further up towards the top of the screen, and 1 tab by the camera.

3. Next take a credit card and slip it in above one of the bottom tabs. Run the card down to the tab, and it will snap off. Do the same to the other bottom tab.

4. Next, slide the Speck case upward towards the ceiling, and it will just easily come off. For some reason, things get difficult when you try to take the two upper tabs off. I could never budge them, but really, it's not necessary if you just slide the case off the top.

Hope this helps everyone still having problems with this...:D

SteveGe

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Great instructions worked well - and it does snap!

About time I put that Panera CC to use :)

Sunyata7

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
By god, that top is impossible to remove. I was worried I was going to damage the screen. Not sure how they couldn't have come up with a better way to do this.

Good instructions, although the snapping noise always make me nervous.

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
It worked

Thanks for the instructions. Freeing the bottom tabs is key. Whatever made me think I needed the speck case in the first place?

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
that video is ridiculous, mine is so tough to remove that not even taking to the Sun will melt the plastic it is made of.
I think my MB will die with it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.