Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard24

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Well my friend has this job actually, he got it recently. But apparently he said that google contacts you for the job. I dont really believe him but they provide the car and he just drives around all day and he gets paid 13 dollars an hour...and he graduated highschool about 2 months ago.

fire911chick

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
The job

well my friend has this job actually, he got it recently. But apparently he said that google contacts you for the job. I dont really believe him but they provide the car and he just drives around all day and he gets paid 13 dollars an hour...and he graduated highschool about 2 months ago.

have you found out anymore about this and how he got this job? There is nothing on their website for it.

edudazzip

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Google Street View Job

I have driven a Street View camera car since the project started in 2007. They don't hire directly, but they use a temp service, usually Adecco, to find the drivers. Your driving and background records have to be spotless. The job is seasonal due to weather. It is a very interesting job and it pays pretty well. They provide the car and gas. It helps to have some computer knowledges as well.

OK, now the bad news....

It's almost impossible to get this job. There are only about 100 cars in the entire country, and the people who do it season after season do not give this job up if they don't have to.

I hope this helped out some.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
In my area (Georgia) they also use temp agencies to get the drivers. I met one of the drivers when his GPS was telling him to keep going down our road and he got stuck. The bridge hasn't been there in 10 years but it still shows up on most GPS systems. He didn't seem to like the job much and hadn't had it long. His vehicle was a Prius though, not a VW Beetle like the one in the earlier photo.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Umm. you want to spend your life going up 1st St, down 2nd St, up 3rd St, down 4th St, up 5th St, down 6th St.....etc etc.

day in day out, going mile after mile after mile, going nowhere?

Interesting ambition.

Sure. Many people enjoy driving, and driving around streets all over the place for a job sounds pretty good :)

therd3

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
I really don't think you use your camera!

Failed the test at McDonalds?

I can't see where that would be much of an attractive job: perfect driving record likely required, your own car (probably), your own camera (probably), and minimum wage (probably). The whole "Do No Evil" thing generally doesn't apply to contract employees.

Might be interesting for summer work if you're bored and just want something different for the experience of sucking fumes and getting nearly run over eight hours a day.

I do use it, though--I needed the view from State & Hubbard when I stayed at the Courtyard last month!

I really don't think you use your camera! Have you seen the cameras? I could not afford one if I was a Lawyer.
And I dought they use there own vehicles.

I also would like to drive one of those vehicles. Hey man we con only dream!
You get to see the USA or the world close up and every part of it . Back streets and all! Don't let grumpy take you away from what you want. Keep looking. And if you find it look me up.

Imagineer

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
You can see the car when it passes glass

It happens in cities where stores have a lot of glass fronts. But it's so funny to me that you follow a street and it goes from dry, parched, and go a few miles and it's snow. Haily Idaho is a great example.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I don't see why everyone is giving OP such a hard time. For someone graduating HS or just starting college, I think this would be a much better job than stocking shelves at Wal-Mart or flipping burger at Mc Donalds. $13/hr is pretty damn good for someone in that age range. And I think having Google on your future resume as opposed to WM or MCD is much more intriguing to potential employers. And he said he is interested in this JOB...not a lifelong career. Driving someone else's car around town all day, listening to your own music/podcasts/audiobooks, sounds MUCH better than dealing with people at WM or MCD.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't see why everyone is giving OP such a hard time. For someone graduating HS or just starting college, I think this would be a much better job than stocking shelves at Wal-Mart or flipping burger at Mc Donalds. $13/hr is pretty damn good for someone in that age range. And I think having Google on your future resume as opposed to WM or MCD is much more intriguing to potential employers. And he said he is interested in this JOB...not a lifelong career. Driving someone else's car around town all day, listening to your own music/podcasts/audiobooks, sounds MUCH better than dealing with people at WM or MCD.
Considering this thread is now 5 years old, hopefully he graduated.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Chicago
I was 17 at the creation of this thread. Hell yes I would have preferred to get paid for driving a car around all day, rather than working at a grocery store for $8/hour. I'd probably still do it today, maybe even for free if I weren't such a gazillionaire. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
I don't like google street view. I mean it's handy, but I don't like the idea that people can snoop around my neighborhood :p

It is really fun. I like pulling up places I have not been to for decades and seeing how they have changed. Also practical: I can see if there is a way to walk from point A to point B and see what that store I am going to looks like rather than reading numbers on everything in the area.

corsa59

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
USA
How to get this job.......

Advertised in employment site on web as Driver, advertised and employed by Adecco, they provide the car and camera, full time position.

Very average pay, nothing special, but better than nothing.

I just got a job with Google Steetview!

I will let you know how interesting/boring it is in a few weeks.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.