Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

expergo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Hey,

I recently bought a Crumpler mcbain lovechild 12" bag, Crumpler Schoolhymn 12", Tucano second skin 12" iBook, Tucano Horizontal limit 14"/15".

I really wanted the horinzontal limit 12" but a sleeve wouldn't fit inside as well and since I'm anal protective about my ibook (it's my first and only mac) then I want it to be supersafe.

Many pics are here since I know when I was lookign for what to buy, it was very hard to find real-life pics.

The Crumpler bag is awesome. It's a perfect fit for the ibook and I love carrying it around. The handle at the back is nicely put and handy as well. The bag looks awesome and my friends (many of whom are girls) think it is very fashionable and were like, "wow...that is a laptop bag?!?". Yes, PC users just know of Targus, Kensington, and Samsonite. Sad it is. Oh well. I'm introducing all my friends to these cool, stylish bags. :)

Anyways...the Crumpler Schoolhymn is great as well. It's actually a very hard material, sort of like a minibriefcase. Feels as hard as a textbook cover. Yea, when I stuck my ibook inside it looked a little loose, but I shook it lightly and it didn't seem to move. Seems very protected. :)

Tucano second skin feels like it's too small for the ibook. The little felt that covered the zippers had to be lifted up to cover the underside of the iBook but it was hard to keep the iBook under it completely since it didn't seem to fit properly. I'm not sure. Maybe I need to play with it again. After I zipped it up, it seems to fit perfectly and is very snugly (is that a word?). Anyways, the two zippers is nice compared to Crumpler's one zipper that you have to zip the whole way. The tucano certainly didn't seem as protective as the Crumpler. But honestly, I think any sleeve will protect it. If you happen to drop it, I don't think anything will be able to protect it enough. The sleeve, to me, is just to protect from scratches and contact with other things like dust and crap. And it always feels better when the ibook is completely covered in something. :)

The Tucano horizontal limit 14"/15" is a LOT bigger than I expected. After I stuck the ibook with the sleeeve in there, there was still ample room for an approx 0.5 inch folder. But really, that doesn't matter, since you can still velcro it tighter so the ibook won't wiggle around. As you can see from the pics, I stuck a few things in there. I don't mind having some space in there, as long as its' padded and the ibook doesn't shift around, which I doubt it will, it's fine. The front pocket has a slot for an ipod/mp3 player or a cell phone. There's also a zipper for a pencil case compartment. The rest of the space inside the bag can probably fit 2 mediumsized textbooks plus a 2 80pg coil notebooks. I think ti's enough room for most things. If it's not, stick the ibook in the Crumpler and stick it in a regular backpack. ;)

Anyways, I doubt I'll keep all these bags/sleeves (no money) but it'll take some time to think of which one to sell. Anyone interested? lol. :)

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
So wich one do you prefer?

Tucano, Crumpler, or will you ditch them both and go with the a carrying bag?

What is the best sight to buy Tucano and Crumpler gear? Most places always seem to be out of stock.

expergo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
I really like the Crumpler bag because it is a perfect fit and I feel safe when the ibook is in there.

I also want a bag with some pockets if I want to carry other things in it. But I don't know how often I'd use it. So I'm unsure of whether to keep the Tucano ones.

When I make up my mind, I'll tell you. Different bags for different uses, really.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Just a quick post to agree with expergo on the review of the Crumpler School Hymn. I currently use a Silver one with my Powerbook 15" and find its a perfect product to protect it and also to allow quick access when necessary. Combine it with a decent laptop backpack and your laptop is protected as well as its ever going to be!

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Mmmm....I guess I never understood the need or desire to carry a seperate bag just for your laptop. I am on campus and it always bums me out when I see people lugging around a big black peice of luggage )no doubt with an IBM or some other PC lurking inside among all of its acessories and peripherals.)

Why subject your beautiful powerbook or Ibook to that same fate. Granted Crumpler bags are a hellavah cooler then many laptob bags, but gosh a seperate bag for the computer and then a backpack on top, to me just looks as if the whole world is on your shoulders and your about to be crushed under all the clutter. I give major cool points to those who pair it down and stick with the all in one bag with the laptop covertly concealed inside.

Of course, I also give cool points if you have an Apple period :) ..just my opinion.

expergo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
shane-o-mac said:
Mmmm....I guess I never understood the need or desire to carry a seperate bag just for your laptop. I am on campus and it always bums me out when I see people lugging around a big black peice of luggage )no doubt with an IBM or some other PC lurking inside among all of its acessories and peripherals.)

Why subject your beautiful powerbook or Ibook to that same fate. Granted Crumpler bags are a hellavah cooler then many laptob bags, but gosh a seperate bag for the computer and then a backpack on top, to me just looks as if the whole world is on your shoulders and your about to be crushed under all the clutter. I give major cool points to those who pair it down and stick with the all in one bag with the laptop covertly concealed inside.

Of course, I also give cool points if you have an Apple period :) ..just my opinion.

Mmmm..that's why I want 2 bags. Sometimes I just carry my ibook around and don't need anything else. Other times, like if I carry it to school, I wouldn't want to carry two bags so I'd probably put it in the schoolhymn and stick it in my backpack. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.