Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Finally decided to purchase the case but I kind of regret not upgrading to faster shipping. I went with free shipping.

At least you have it. I prefered to wait and have free shipping. Unless you'd like to pay $55 like me for shipping costs to Europe. It sucks it's so expensive.

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Looks like I will be getting mine delivered either today or tomorrow. That's only 4-5 days if customs doesn't hold it up...and that was standard shipping

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
To anyone who has this case, I have a question: How does it feel on your hand? On your pants? I usually wear shorts and try not to carry too much stuff or they start to feel heavy and hard to move.

Also, does the quality feel genuine leather? Have you had any problems with credit cards being de-magnetized by the iPhone?

EDIT: Just got it by the mail this morning, it's awesome!

Last edited:

jackwins

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
THIS CASE/WALLET FRICKIN ROCKS!!!:D

I’ve been using it since Friday and it is perfect.

Quality:The quality of this case is second to none. I have the book book for my iPad2 and they use the same leather. It’s that worn/rustic leather that looks oozes expensive taste no matter where you are. To be honest, the more you "scratch up" the leather the better it looks. FYI, When I say "scratch up" I mean with a finger nail, not drop on concrete and run over with your dad's SUV. Because this is higher quality leather, it will absorb the oil from your fingers. But, believe me when I tell you, the more oil that is absorbed into the leather, the better it looks.

Regarding the thickness:
On the card side I have 1 credit card, 1 debit card and my driver’s license. I also, keep about $40 (two $20 bills) in the cash pocket. The size is great; even loaded with the iPhone, cards, DL and cash and it fits in one of my front pockets without producing that ugly (and often creepy) "what’s in that guys pocket" bulge.

Regarding talking on the iPhone:
Let me first suggest that you condition the leather with a high quality leather conditioner. I only say that because it makes the leather more pliable, allowing for an easier fold. Even if you don’t condition the leather, the case folds back pretty easily. Once folded you actually hold the case by the inner spine (suede) and the outer edge of the case. It’s very comfortable and to me, feels better that just holding the iPhone itself. Someone said in a previous post that you would look stupid holding this case against your ear. I don’t agree at all. Most people can’t even see that it’s a mini book that’s against your ear.

Gripe:
My only gripe is that there is no camera hole!!! Why 12South is there no camera hole? You have to push the phone up out of the case about a quarter of an inch to snap a pic. It is a bit bothersome, but is not bothersome enough to not use the case.

My Recommendation:
I do not work for 12 South, and I dont know anyone that does. However, their products are very well made and their shipping is good too. I highly recommend this product.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I agree with Jack above on practically every thing - please make sure before you ask any more questions here you read from page one as everything has been answered and with Schneider doing his great review, it's really been covered well. Agree with the conditioner, I used Kiwi leather clear cleaner and treated it twice - no change in color, but got softer. I also for now keep it at rest with phone showing and case folded underneath to enhance the folding ability.

And it really feels great in your pocket - not bulky at all. I never kept my iphone in my back pocket so there is no change in "feel" for me...

As I type this on a MacBook Air, I am sheathed in their MBA bookbook which looks just the same - but agree with schneider that I would like some red in the binder like the MBA -this is a great product no matter what series you have....

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Finally decided to order one myself after reading and seeing all the great reviews. Larry had his review up on Youtube by the way.:D

Got tired of calling the local Apple stores to see if they had gotten them in stock yet. Hope I get it sent to me soon.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Man, this looks like an awesome case. I was looking at some other iPhone wallet cases but didn't like them too much, and then I thought maybe it'd be better to keep the iPhone and my cards separate.

I didn't like the MBA Book Book too much, but this iPhone one looks outstanding and everything you could want. Going to have to order it.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Just got my Book Book today. I agree with all of the plus's and minus's I have read on here.

My biggest points:

Looks and feels amazing
Mute button does not line up properly
Did not like the made in China sticker inside. (yea I know, so is my iPhone)
Wish it looked less like a bible. I may try stenciling something cool on the cover.
There should be a camera hole. Now its also a pain to use flashlight app!!
Have to decide where to keep all my other cards since this only holds 3.

I would definitely recommend this product!!

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I really like the look of this case and would buy one if it had a cut-out for the camera. :(

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Hole punch FTW :D

I love mine
And it really is simple to slide it up quickly for the camera use

I'm thinking the thickness of the leather means you'd have to size it and place it just right or you'd get some vignetting. Not to mention, you'll need a damn sharp punch to get clean edges. At the price they're charging, they should have done that in manufacturing and finished the edges correctly from the get go.

That lack of a hole for the camera is the sole reason my husband won't buy this either. He loves the look of it--made noises he usually saves for the bedroom when I showed it to him :rolleyes: --but he's another 5-10 pics a day person, and having to slide it up to take a pic means missing a number of quick candids you'd otherwise get. Count us in the pile of people who think Twelve South *just* missed a home run with this one by leaving out that one feature.

(I have their stands for the iPad and MacBookPro--OUTSTANDING quality. Wouldn't hesitate to pay for this if they'd just added that stupid hole!)

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
After a few treatments with leather moisturizer, I've got mine where I can move it up for a pic with just a thumb...would like to have the hole agreed, but for me who takes 2-3 a day, I'm good. If I really want to compose something, I'll slide the whole thing out
aa40515e.jpg

Last edited:

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I love mine, won't wash it cause i'm lazy and it fits just perfect. Lovely case and the camera hole is not a strong reason for me not to buy it fortunately ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
After a few treatments with leather conditioner, I've got mine where I can move it up for a pic with just a thumb...would like to have the hole agreed, but for me who takes 2-3 a day, I'm good. If I really want to compose something, I'll slide the whole thing out

Yep, it really is just a quick flick while the camera app is loading up
A non-issue for me

I don't use cases period, but when I saw this I immediately ordered it
No regrets at all, loving it

WhoDatWayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan
Yep, it really is just a quick flick while the camera app is loading up
A non-issue for me

I don't use cases period, but when I saw this I immediately ordered it
No regrets at all, loving it

I am like you in that I do not use cases but this is definitely getting my attention!!!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Sure you can slide it out but it's not practical unless you're used to sleeves. I find it very annoying when I want to quickly take a pic.

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
My apple store still doesn't have the bookbook. Has anybody seen any at stores yet??

Just order it! You've read all the pros and cons on the forum, and there are great pics on their website. I'm in love with mine.

danielveeee

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Just order it! You've read all the pros and cons on the forum, and there are great pics on their website. I'm in love with mine.

I would but I returned a bumper and have a gift card to aPple. Can't wait to get one

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I almost pulled a triger on this case, but iphone 5? should be out soon. If it'll be thinner, so the case should be as well, I'll just wait.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I really like the look of this case and would buy one if it had a cut-out for the camera. :(
Everybody:If it had a camera cut out- then It would not look like an awesome "book" ( or wallet) but another phone case. And the paranoid to be mugged here wouldn't like to advertise "they have a phone"!

I'm glad it's "solid" front and back and expecting mine tomorrow via UPS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.