Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Sheffield, UK
After installing msn messenger I can't delete the .dmg file that I downloaded. I just keep getting the message that:

'the file can't be moved because it is being used by another task. tasks include moving to the trash etc. try again after the task is finished.'

So just wondering if anyone has any suggestioins on how I can delete this file from my desktop? Thanks for any help!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Do you still have a (white) virtual disk on your desktop, named messenger (or whatever), maybe you even start messenger from that "disk"? Berfore trashing dmg files you have to eject the virtual disk(s) it opens...

SiG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Sheffield, UK
Can't delet /dmg file

There's no virtual disk on my desktop, I've already ejected that, but I just cant do anything with the .dmg file... very frustrating!

Thanks anyway

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
delete

try changing the file extension to rtf

open it in text edit, tick the fancy text box thing, save as over the original then delete it...

Thats how I delete impossible lingering files....

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
SiG said:
After installing msn messenger I can't delete the .dmg file that I downloaded. I just keep getting the message that:

'the file can't be moved because it is being used by another task. tasks include moving to the trash etc. try again after the task is finished.'

So just wondering if anyone has any suggestioins on how I can delete this file from my desktop? Thanks for any help!

Try this Apple support document. The header states it's for OS 10.2 but it maybe applicable to other OS'es.

EDIT: Ah, beaten to it - the linked doc has the same process of renaming to a .rtf file.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
And you've restarted your machine and/or repaired permissions (the wonderdrug against everything), then tried trashing the dmg file again?

If so, and nothing happens, you could try the hard way: Terminal

Open Terminal and navigate to where the dmg file is (if it's the desktop, then it's easy) - remember you dont type the $s, just the commands, then press enter:
$ cd Desktop
To see if the file you is actually there
$ ls
A list of all files on your desktop should appear
$ rm YourFile.dmg
If that's not allowed, try
$ sudo rm YourFile.dmg
Then type your administrator password when asked

(If the file isn't on your desktop then there's a shortcut to navigating just type 'rm ' or 'sudo rm ' (no ''s, note the space) and drag the dmg file into Terminal window then press enter)...

If this doesnt get rid of then I guess you're stuck with it... ;)

SiG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Sheffield, UK
.dmg deleting

Thanks guys I'll give all your suggestions a try, one of them should work!

Cheers it's appreciated! Can finally get rid of that stubborn file!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.