Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jobespierre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Hey all,

I have an Apple TV2, an Onkyo SR508 amp and a Optoma HD65 projector.

Now when I connect ATV to my projector using HDMI it outputs 720p no prob.

However when I connect my ATV to my AMP and my AMP with my projector, both also with HDMI, I can only get 480p.

One last strange thing is that when ATV is booting, the first apple logo is in 720p.

Seems like something in my amp is maken my ATV output a lower resolution. Amp works fine with my XBOX360 and digital TV box.

Anybody know about a way to fix this?

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
The problem is that the ATV2 doesn't let you manually select an output resolution, like most other components do; instead it queries the device's EDID for its preferred resolution. The Onkyo is supposed to pass through your projector's EDID information but it will add its own audio capabilities and it might also be messing with the video part of the EDID to indicate a preferred resolution of 480P. There might be an Onkyo setting you can change but there might not.

One solution would be to get something like the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, or even a video processor like the DVDO Edge, which will give you greater control over the EDID that the ATV2 receives.

Another would be just to connect your ATV2 directly to your projector via HDMI and to your Onkyo via optical.

You could also file feedback with Apple requesting that they allow manual selection of output resolutions, which would solve a lot of problems including this one.

jobespierre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Thanx for the quick reply.

As you suggested the default resolution of the Onkyo is set at 480p.

I have not been able to find a way to adjust this.

I wil see if there is anything I can do to change the throughput of the projectors EDID to my apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.