Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

note235

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Currently I have an ipad2,appletv 2 and my pcs at home. Will be getting iPhone 5s when they come out and if a new Appletv comes out ill be getting that also. But I used to have a ps3 then I sold it but now that my speak setup is complete (6.1). I miss having the ability for full bluray streams, and loseless movie soundtracks. Im wondering if I should buy the WD live plus to compliment the appletv? I've read that it is able to play bluray rips with the loseless formats such as dts hd ma and dolby hd. thanks!

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I have a WDTV Live. (I bought it before the Plus came out.) It works great for playing Blu-Ray rips made with MakeMKV. I have to admit that I haven't paid too much attention to the soundtrack being played, but I guess it must be the DTS-HD track since no transcoding has been done.

As much as I like my AppleTV 1 and 2 boxes, it's great to have the WDTV so that just about any video file can be played without transcoding to m4v files. I'm just glad my Onkyo receiver has lots of HDMI inputs. ;)

exposition

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
I own both a WDTV Live Hub and an Apple TV 2. Probably don't need both, and if I had to choose one, I'd keep the ATV. But the WD has its uses. Like you say, it's great for BD rips. It has better file support (OGG/FLAC/MKV etc.) and a ton of storage. I use it as a combo media player and network storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.