Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

MacFly69

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
I'm running 8GB in a late 2008 unibody MacBook under Lion and it works a treat. I went from the standard 2GB and it was a very worthwhile upgrade, just much faster and no churning of the HD. I used Kingston RAM from Amazon - as it's so cheap I thought I'd go for a known brand with good warranty.

good to hear! can you pls link me to the exact one you purchased from Amazon? thanks.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
just got my ram from amazon.

Corsair 8GB 1066MHZ

20110802-mhifm3q8cxhaa25n57p8x78esd.png

:cool:

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
my MB late 2008 says i'm running 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, but the link above is for a 1066 MHz DDR3. will this difference matter?

For whatever reason, manufacturers call it "1066 Mhz", when in reality, it is 1066.66666666~. The computer rounds this up to 1067.

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
So just to clarify and avoid making a costly and stupid mistake:

This will work effectively on a MB mid-2010 version 1,7?

If so, I'll probably get some and install it before I upgrade to Lion.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
I'm running 8GB in a late 2008 unibody MacBook under Lion and it works a treat. I went from the standard 2GB and it was a very worthwhile upgrade, just much faster and no churning of the HD. I used Kingston RAM from Amazon - as it's so cheap I thought I'd go for a known brand with good warranty.

that sounds promising. Wonder if they sell this on amazon UK as well.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
anyone know what the the max HDD is that fits into the late 2008 unibody macbook 13"?

kristjansson

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Yet another 5.1 (late 2008) macbook w/8GB of RAM checking in. Works perfectly, seems to address the entire space. Makes working with massive excel files that much easier.

Of note: Mine required a PRAM reset after the install - experienced a few kernel pancis before I realized it. So, just know that may be necessary.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
beginner's questions:

can I upgrade RAM and harddrive at the same time?

Also, can I just do a time machine backup and then copy it straight onto the new harddrive once put in?

ranviper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
beginner's questions:

Also, can I just do a time machine backup and then copy it straight onto the new harddrive once put in?

First question, yes you can do RAM and a HD swap at the same time.

Second Question. I don't think time machine will work, because as far as I know it doesn't copy the entire OS, just the files on it. However, google the App SuperDuper and you can freely clone your hard drive to a new one no problem. Easy, quick and clean.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
thank you for your help ranviper. I have had a look at Super Duper, but don't quite understand how it works? Do I need to clone my existing onto an external and then start up the new blank internal with the external copy connected?

Could I not use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant + Time Machine?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
beginner's questions:

Yep. Personally I'd install the RAM and run it for a couple of days first just to make sure it runs 100%.

Data transfer can be done using time machine - install OS X onto the new hard drive, then use migration assistant to restore your data from the time machine backup.

You can also use disk cloning tools, but I had issues with CCC when I tried it. The clean install/time machine above worked perfectly.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Yep. Personally I'd install the RAM and run it for a couple of days first just to make sure it runs 100%.

Data transfer can be done using time machine - install OS X onto the new hard drive, then use migration assistant to restore your data from the time machine backup.

You can also use disk cloning tools, but I had issues with CCC when I tried it. The clean install/time machine above worked perfectly.

If you want to use time machine, do this. All you have to do is do a fresh install of OSX and while you are setting it up, select that you wish to transfer files from a previous mac. It will search for your time machine backup and you can choose what you want restored. If you want the entire machine to be exactly like it was before, just leave all the checkboxes checked.

I've done this multiple times and never have had problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.