Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmaines

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Riverside, Ca
I just rceived my Grove made case with the leather smart cover. they did a great job on it. I really like it and the iPad fits nice and snug.

Attachments

• Mk5diver.jpg
    Mk5diver.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 407

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
That looks great. The detail is amazing and it almost looks 3D. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and have to wait until early August to get mine. I went with one of the stock designs as opposed to custom as I couldn't think of what design to put on it. I may get another cover with a custom design.

Out of interest what is the quality of the leather and the workmanship ?

You might want to post a comment and that picture on their Facebook page.

:)

gmaines

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Riverside, Ca
The custom design only added 2 weeks to my order. The leather is very nice and the laser work is some of the best I have seen...I also posted a picture on their facebook page. They had really great customer service... I ordered it on April 18th and just got it.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Got mine today...

The good:

--Wood finish is great. No rough or sharp edges. Nice color (I got the amber)
--Holds the iPad secure... No worries of it popping out.
--Cover fits the case nicely.
--Quality materials, and smells great!

The opportunities:

--Some holes are not lined up well. For a $99 case purpose built, I expected a little more in way of precision. Camera hole doesn't line up. Mic port doesn't line up. Both still fully functional, but mic port limits options to Apple sized jacks due to misalignment.
--On first install, the power button was stiking due to lack of clearance, but shifting the iPad in the case fixed it.
--Leather quality is good, but mine didn't arrive looking new. It has scuffs and one slight cut on the finished surface. Not that it won't be that way in a week or two of use, but given my case was delayed 3 weeks due to "leather quality," I had expected near perfection.
--Speaking of delays, prior to the 3 week leather delay, I had a 2 week delay due to machine issue. I waited nearly three months for this case. Mine was not engraved.
--Case arrived dirty... Well the cover did. Suede side had grit on it enough to scratch the glass (I got it off before install). Leather side had misc dirt on it.

The company has a great product. I believe with some refinement and stocking some parts for quicker shipment they have a winner.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The good:

--Wood finish is great. No rough or sharp edges. Nice color (I got the amber)
--Holds the iPad secure... No worries of it popping out.
--Cover fits the case nicely.
--Quality materials, and smells great!

The opportunities:

--Some holes are not lined up well. For a $99 case purpose built, I expected a little more in way of precision. Camera hole doesn't line up. Mic port doesn't line up. Both still fully functional, but mic port limits options to Apple sized jacks due to misalignment.
--On first install, the power button was stiking due to lack of clearance, but shifting the iPad in the case fixed it.
--Leather quality is good, but mine didn't arrive looking new. It has scuffs and one slight cut on the finished surface. Not that it won't be that way in a week or two of use, but given my case was delayed 3 weeks due to "leather quality," I had expected near perfection.
--Speaking of delays, prior to the 3 week leather delay, I had a 2 week delay due to machine issue. I waited nearly three months for this case. Mine was not engraved.
--Case arrived dirty... Well the cover did. Suede side had grit on it enough to scratch the glass (I got it off before install). Leather side had misc dirt on it.

The company has a great product. I believe with some refinement and stocking some parts for quicker shipment they have a winner.

Nice review. I'm looking forward to mine. I'm a bit concerned about the issues you mentioned and hopefully I don't have to experience at least some if not all of them. I'm most looking forward to the leather cover but also to the case as well as it's something different from the norm.

As a side note I would suggest you send them an email with your thoughts/concerns and/or post them on their Facebook page. Giving feedback is always good and they seem like a company that listens to feedback.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Yeah, I plan to give them the feedback as well. I am overall happy... Just had higher expectations given the wait and the price. Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression I wasn't happy.

One more observation. The leather should wrap around the hinge instead of stopping at the edge of the case. Would make for a nicer finish and maybe prevent some of the cover sliding. Seems flimsy as is. Afraid I will damage it.

Zandian

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
Mine broke in the first week. Just be careful not to knock it around too much. It pretty much can't handle a drop from any distance at all. Mine fell from about a foot and broke apart.

Z

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Would you please provide a link to this store? Thanks. I would be interested in ordering one.

Bear in mind there is a fairly long wait to get one as they are still trying to fulfil pre-orders and existing orders. I placed my order in mid June and expect it to ship early next month around the 12th.

gmaines

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Riverside, Ca
It took me almost 3 months to get mine, but I knew it would be that long, I was not in a hurry and to me...it was well worth the wait....It brought back some great memories, and it is also a work of art...

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
FYI, I got an email response from Grove on the cover not working in typing position. The are redesigning it to address the issue and sounds like they will do replacements for those who have had the issue

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
FYI, I got an email response from Grove on the cover not working in typing position. The are redesigning it to address the issue and sounds like they will do replacements for those who have had the issue

That's good to know. Hopefully the one they send me next. Onto will be the revised version or I will get a replacement at a later date.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011

You would think they would have noticed it didn't work in the prototypes.

wackoip

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
I have just received the case and it's gorgeous. It's the one with "Complex World" pattern. Everything seems to
be fine except that the cover's magnet does not work as a
waker/sleeper. It does hold/attach to the surface securely. I was
curious so I flipped it over using the black side as the outer side
and it works! So it would appear that the magnets were placed in the
wrong side of the cover??

I've just emailed them to see how I can get a replacement. It'll take weeks I guess. I placed my order back in May 3 and had just got it so it's three months. I do live outside USA in Hong Kong though.

TheDavid562

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
That's sick!!

I'm wondering what did the original image look like?
Can you upload the original image?
I want to see the accuracy of their custom engraving before I buy one, thanks!

gmaines

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Riverside, Ca
I do believe the original and the cover are on their site. They could not of made it any better. I was more than happy, and then some. Well worth the cost and wait.

TheDavid562

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
I have been waiting a long time :(

Sir, I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY want to get this tattooed on me
Can you please email me the original drawing? i will pay you for it via paypal or cash if you live in long beach?
bobmain562@gmail.com please please please consider it I'll show you the finished work when it's done!
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.