Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macchar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I have the 2011 13inch base model with Lion pre-installed. When I facetime with other people, they complain that my microphone volume is barely audible.

I went to system preferences and my microphone volume (Input) is set to max with ambient noise reduction checked. Does anyone else have the same problem? And how can I fix this microphone issue?

cityathrt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
I'd be interested in reading people's responses as well. This problem came up for me last night when Skyping with family. Speaker volume came through nice and clear, but family said they were having slight trouble hearing me.

The Bronx Bull

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Same thing here... had to bend over to the left side of the laptop, and thus, out of the FaceTime frame, and speak directly into the mic for them to hear me.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I can relate to this. I"m using the apple in ear headphones and even that mic is really quiet and it's 2 inches from my mouth.

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Uncheck ambience noise reduction should do the trick. Maybe someone will write a driver to override the built in one to boost the mic volume.

Q

Q2Air2Pro

I may have a related problem. I have a MBA-11-4GB-128GB (2011) and use a USB headset. Whenever I connect to someone with Facetime, the input volume jumps to 0 (you can see the bar jumping when having Sound Preferences open). So after hand-adjusting the volume, everything works fine again. But it's really annoying.
A Apple Genius advised me to report it online (Apple Feedback) so I did. Hoping they'll come w/ a fix soon, because with Snow Leopard, there were no problems at all.

EchoPure

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I just Facebook video chatted with my friend. Apparently, he said my mic is really low too! I have it turned all the way up in preferences though :confused:

macchar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Uncheck ambience noise reduction should do the trick. Maybe someone will write a driver to override the built in one to boost the mic volume.

Unchecked the noise reduction option, mic volume still very low.. this is a driver issue?

macchar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I may have a related problem. I have a MBA-11-4GB-128GB (2011) and use a USB headset. Whenever I connect to someone with Facetime, the input volume jumps to 0 (you can see the bar jumping when having Sound Preferences open). So after hand-adjusting the volume, everything works fine again. But it's really annoying.
A Apple Genius advised me to report it online (Apple Feedback) so I did. Hoping they'll come w/ a fix soon, because with Snow Leopard, there were no problems at all.

Now that you mention it, my friend is running Snow Leopard and I can hear him just fine. I will report this problem as well... hope they fix it soon!

EchoPure

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I just did another test. I did a FaceTime from my new 13" Macbook Air to my iPhone 4. My dad (on the iPhone 4) said he can hear me fine (on the Macbook Air). I swapped places with my dad (on the Air), and I could hear him fine with me using the iPhone 4.

The Bronx Bull

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
I just did another test. I did a FaceTime from my new 13" Macbook Air to my iPhone 4. My dad (on the iPhone 4) said he can hear me fine (on the Macbook Air). I swapped places with my dad (on the Air), and I could hear him fine with me using the iPhone 4.

Real scientific test.. :D

No but in all honesty, there's definitely a mic issue. I've FaceTimed with friends on MBP's and other non-Lion MBA's and never has their been a discrepancy with the audio.

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I also have this issue on my new Macbook Air. Very annoying... apple really needs to fix this.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Perhaps Boom can help. It shows to only boost output volume, but it also appears in System Preferences > Sound > Input

YEEZY

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
I should definitely check my computer to see if I have this issue. I webcam all the time and I haven't received a lot of complaints. Although, sometimes I use an external webcam that has it's own mic..

squaremon

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
i notice my previous air with LG display didn't have microphone issue. The new one i got had the microphone issue. turn up to 100% input but can still barely hear

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.