Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

netflix_menu20100901.jpg
Building on his earlier claims that Apple is preparing a subscription video streaming service to take on Netflix, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek today issued a new report claiming that Apple already has deals in place with the major video studios and TV networks to support such a service.
Apple might be ready to roll out its own video subscription service similar to Amazon and Netflix, Peter Misek at Jefferies reports in a note this morning.

Specifically, he says, "As part of Apple's roll-out of cloud video services (and eventually an iTV), we believe Apple has unannounced deals with all/most of the studios/TV networks that are similar to the subscription streaming deal between Amazon and CBS."
Apple earlier this week expanded its nascent iCloud service to include the re-downloading of purchased TV shows, including allowing Apple TV devices to stream the purchased content directly from the cloud. And with another claim today suggesting that Apple may finally be preparing to launch its "iTunes Replay" service that would fold the cloud-based TV show offerings in with a similar program for movies to support re-downloads and streaming, Apple appears to be making a significant push into bringing video to iCloud.

Article Link: Deals Already in Place for Apple to Launch Netflix Competitor?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
For years, I've wanted the ability to stream TV and Movies from the iTunes store, subscription style. Would sign up for this day 1.

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
$10 or less for unlimited streaming of comparable Netflix content for all devices on your iTunes account or GTFO.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
For years, I've wanted the ability to stream TV and Movies from the iTunes store, subscription style. Would sign up for this day 1.

this... as long as apple can make it affordable... they already charge $5 a pop for HD rentals..

what if apple launched their own cable company or bought a market leader?! :eek:... i think apple is trying to take over the cable television experience and blow Hulu out of the water by not only having the channels available with a better UI, but allowing you to watch seasons on demand instead of hand picked episodes from comcast/etc

apple is starting to really become dominant

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I want to see The Simpsons. But I'm sure it will be again regionalized ... Time that the studios accept that the world is small

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re aapl netflix competition
i think the service with the most/best content will come up on top
hope aapl uses its 75billion in cash to secure the mother of all content
netflix has its place but the stock is way overvauled

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Will this mean that they will remove Netflix from the AppleTV? I hope not.

That's precisely why I don't think this story is true. Why would they add Netflix to the AppleTV when they knew this was in the near future? It doesn't make sense.

I think this is just more analyst BS.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
That's precisely why I don't think this story is true. Why would they add Netflix to the AppleTV when they knew this was in the near future? It doesn't make sense.

how much apple TV's do you think they will sell with no netflix?

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010

Unfortunately, I think they would have to kill off Netflix. If it is a true direct competitor, then keeping it would only encourage people to choose Netflix instead.

I guess if Apple was confident it had the superior streaming experience and a much better library, then they could leave Netflix access in place. But if they have very similar libraries (size and content deals) then Netflix would get the axe for sure.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005

Huh? Netflix has been on Apple TV for YEARS. You think that they wouldn't have released the Apple TV with Netflix just because they might (remember there was no guarantee they would have got the agreements) have had a competitor a few years later?

And there is no reason for Apple to remove Netflix either. Like the rest of their content business, this is unlikely to generate much profits for Apple. I bet its largely designed so Apple can tweak such a service to support future products (like a real Apple TV) better.

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003

Could be BS...could also be the beginnings of internal difficulties as the age of Jobs begins to come to an end. One department not necessarily communicating as thoroughly as they should with the others, etc.

Then again, maybe the story just has it wrong and Apple is going to outright buy them.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I want to see The Simpsons. But I'm sure it will be again regionalized ... Time that the studios accept that the world is small

Stop yer complaining. We've got NHK and all those great "tarento" variety shows. :D

Seriously, let's hope Apple can get deals in place that won't shut Japan and the rest of the world out.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Of course that will be the end of Netflix on Apple tv, they don't want any competition for your money.

But think about it, it does make sense. Apple wants 100% control over what is sold for their devices. They want a 100% closed, Apple owned and operated system. They want all of your money, not just some of it. And that is what their goal is and they are quickly moving in that direction. They will offer many service for a monthly or yearly fee. All software will be purchased thru the App store, etc, etc.

how much apple TV's do you think they will sell with no netflix?

As many as they do now, maybe more. The Apple consumer is brainwashed to accept anything the company does, because they make pretty things and they just work. If it was any other company, the fanboys would have their panties in a bunch over this.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
This all seems possible. iCloud is a huge investment and this makes sense. They just have to be price competitive.

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Stop yer complaining. We've got NHK and all those great "tarento" variety shows. :D

Seriously, let's hope Apple can get deals in place that won't shut Japan and the rest of the world out.
Indeed, it's getting very tiresome that as soon as music or video is involved, the rightsholders drag everything out for years on end.
We can't even purchase or rent iTunes videos and God only knows when the iTunes iCloud bit will be available here -_-

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Meh, whatever it is, it will be crippled by the movie studios and have limited selection, just like all the other options right now (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, etc.). Unless Apple is willing to pour money into their pockets, which I highly doubt, I can't see why Apple would get into the online streaming market, especially when they've long said that the AppleTV was just a "hobby."

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Huh? Netflix has been on Apple TV for YEARS. You think that they wouldn't have released the Apple TV with Netflix just because they might (remember there was no guarantee they would have got the agreements) have had a competitor a few years later?

And there is no reason for Apple to remove Netflix either. Like the rest of their content business, this is unlikely to generate much profits for Apple. I bet its largely designed so Apple can tweak such a service to support future products (like a real Apple TV) better.

Uh, you mean for a year right? Cause the first gen Apple TV sure doesn't have Netflix...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i'm staying with netflix, because it works on a lot of devices. it works on my wife's iphone 4, my ipad 2, my PS3, X-Box, my father in laws internet TV, any computer, most android phones, etc. i go visit in-laws i can turn on netflix for the kids from their TV. and i don't have to buy a special $100 box that is limited features

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.