Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

engaged44

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
so my parents got me a brand new car yesterday and we were debating getting a tom tom. we bought one, but decided it wasn't really worth it since i have my iphone and i agreed with them.

what is the best FREE navigation app?

also what is the best offline navigation app? (paid or free)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Since you suggested pay - I really do like TomTom's app. If you can catch it on sale, you can snag it for a decent price.

Such as now - just checked and at $35 its a steal. Purchase traffic and you are golden.....

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I have a tomtom in my Jeep and an iPhone on the seat. Here is my argument for a dedicated gps -

First, I don't want to use a dash mounted phone. It's a personal choice, sure, but if I get a text, call, email, alert or whatever, then you're leaving the gps app to look at that text, take the call or whatever. I'm not a fan of that. I'm sure some people will say use a hands free device and I shouldn't be reading texts in the car. I have a BT headset but it's not always charged and when I do read something in my car I'm smart about it. If someone has an issue with that then it's a discussion for another time.

Second, if you don't have the iPhone plugged in, you're going to kill your battery using it as a gps. Occasional use is probably ok but if you're using it every day then you must invest in a car charger, and probably a cradle for it. Decent gps units can be found for $99 with bigger screens than the iPhone. If you're buying a charger and dashboard mount, you're 1/2 way there.

Data or storage. Depending on the gps software you're using, you're either downloading maps all the time and/or they're taking up storage on your iPhone. If space is an issue, a gps app will make it more of an issue.

I'm not saying everyone should get a dedicated gps. It's right for me and I thought I'd throw out a couple of things for you to consider.

Congrats on the car.

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Using an iPhone (or any phone) as a GPS is a real PITA, but nice if needed. A stand alone GPS is the way to go, especially since they're so cheap nowadays. Get a Garmin Nuvi. Traffic is a nice bonus if you can swing it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Using an iPhone (or any phone) as a GPS is a real PITA, but nice if needed. A stand alone GPS is the way to go, especially since they're so cheap nowadays. Get a Garmin Nuvi. Traffic is a nice bonus if you can swing it.

I strongly disagree. Navigon on my iphone is much nicer to use than my dedicated garmin nuvi imo

engaged44

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
honestly guys i don't think it's worth arguing over dedicated versus iphone gps.

it's really all about preference.

to me it comes down somewhat to the money..do i want to buy a gps unit when i have gps on my phone? not really...

i have a few of the free ones installed and i really didn't like mapquest that much. waze is nice.

i just want a gps app that has offline..i would be willing to spend a few bucks on it too.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Nav software is moving forward pretty fast these days. Dedicated units will fall behind a year or so after release. Nav apps, on the other hand, have seen frequent and substantial upgrades since launch, due to the more competitive environment.

Even if your usage pattern makes a dedicated unit more practical, it may still be worth having an app loaded on your phone for those cases when one device fails you.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I paid $35 for TomTom for the iphone because even though I own a standalone garmin gps I usually only take it with me if I know I'm going somewhere I might get lost. But on the off chance I get lost somewhere and don't have my GPS I always have my phone

MagnumJoe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
Another vote for Navigon, the only bad part about using your phone is if you get a call when you're close to your destination and you don't know which way to turn.

ROADDOG01

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
Since you suggested pay - I really do like TomTom's app. If you can catch it on sale, you can snag it for a decent price.

Such as now - just checked and at $35 its a steal. Purchase traffic and you are golden.....

What is that app called for Traffic. Is that what I search for. Does it work with Tom Tom.

Thanks for the help.

John

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
What is that app called for Traffic. Is that what I search for. Does it work with Tom Tom.

Thanks for the help.

John

It's an in-app purchase inside TomTom:

- TOMTOM HD TRAFFIC: Experience the most-accurate, real-time traffic coverage available with revolutionary TomTom HD Traffic service. TomTom HD Traffic is more accurate, provides more road coverage, and delivers updates every 2 minutes to get you around traffic more effectively than ever before. Available via in-App purchase.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
There's also MotionX GPS in the App Store for .99. I love it and use it all the time at my job. I did upgrade to the voice guidance for a year at $20 or so, but I find that I don't use it all that much and probably won't renew it again. But the app itself is great and is updated often.

Oh, and I like Waze too. It's a pretty darn cool little app, especially considering it's free.

ROADDOG01

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
It's an in-app purchase inside TomTom:

- TOMTOM HD TRAFFIC: Experience the most-accurate, real-time traffic coverage available with revolutionary TomTom HD Traffic service. TomTom HD Traffic is more accurate, provides more road coverage, and delivers updates every 2 minutes to get you around traffic more effectively than ever before. Available via in-App purchase.

Thanks for the reply

John

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
MotionX GPS Drive in the app store has been my faovrite GPS app for iPhone for years now. I love it. It's amazing!

It's .99 in app store, this basically gives you a free month of service with it. After that it is $2.99/month or $25 for a year I believe. I always choose a year. ;)

I am just not sure if it does offline navigation. I don't believe so but really not sure.

TomTom has that feature as others posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.