Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Hey everyone. I would appreciate a little help on a few topics. So this year one of our teachers convinced my high school board to get every student and every teacher mac books that our ours to keep throughout highschool, and then we can even keep them after that, only paying 30 bucks a year. Sounds awesome, right? Kind of. The school has set up, or so i have heard, time restrictions and website restrictions. Typical school stuff. This is making it so that during the hours of 10:00 P.M. through 3:30 P.M. the next day, the computer can visit educational websites and resources only. Then it is unrestricted from 3:30 P.M. to 10:00 P.M., when the restrictions start again until the next day. Is it possible for them to even do this? I think they are setting up a proxy server to do this. If so, how do i get around it? Would I set up my own server? or connect to my home computer? if so, how would i do that?
Thanks for the help,
red95 :cool: you can reach me at jrod_w@yahoo.com, or comment on this.

ViPhone

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Miami, Florida
This topic will be construed as an immoral form of exploitation.

But I'm on your side. I'm not sure, would need to know the specifics on the school system.

red95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
yeah i understand all of that and respect that. and thanks for the help. its just frustrating having my computer at home and only using it for "educational resources:"

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
My school did this as well, minus the time restrictions. In my case, they installed a filtering product called 8e6. Unfortunately I was unable to find a way to bypass it, although it was a moot point for me as my principal removed the filters and restrictions for my account since I'm the admin of another MacBook lab in the district.

Honestly, even if there IS a way to bypass it, it's probably not worth the time or effort. At the very least they give you a little bit of unrestricted time, as opposed to having it always restricted.

aleXXXps

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
reformat it with a snow leopard disk and fresh install the os? you'd probably need to have an "in" with a techie at the school to get all their internet passwords and stuff to be able to connect at school

Or add a second operating system. if you can't do that due to restrictions, try a bootable linux disk and use the cd and play around on a different os when at home and its restricted

Last edited:

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
yeah i understand all of that and respect that. and thanks for the help. its just frustrating having my computer at home and only using it for "educational resources:"

$30 per year for what they are giving you is a sweet deal and beats lugging lots of extra books around ... not to mention how nice it is for organizing your studies.

why try to spoil the good thing they are offering?

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Messing with school property will get you in trouble. You can get detention to no longer having access to the equipment to suspension. Is that really worth it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.