Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elevenpower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Today i purchased a Linksys WRT54. The service isn't as good as I hoped for, doesn't quite cover my home, so i'll probably be returning it tomorrow for something more powerfull and consistent.

Do you guys have any suggestions for wireless routers?? Ones with good range and good little to no dropped signals?

I've been reading about the Belkin Wireless Pre N router, and it seems pretty good. Every review says the range is unmatched. So i'm thinking of getting that one.
Here are some reivews if you guys aren't familiar with it (which i'm sure you guys are).
Belkin Pre N Laptop Magazine Review
Belkin Pre N Cnet review

Thanks in advance.

well range isnt always as advertised, there are many factors that your house may have that decreases range
like thick walls
interference
the location of the routher (central is best since most routers are omnidirection), you could get a directional antena to boost signal

or a repeater to put more signal in harder to reach parts

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have an Airport Basestation (Graphite) and love it, some minor signal problems. Currently I'm using a Netgear Wi-Fi Router, I like it, can set up with Safari, no special software needed, similar problems to the AP. Used a linksys, too hard to change the settings.

TEG

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Hi elevenpower,

I just a few hours ago set up my D-Link DI-624+ wireless router. I tried to set it up using my PC but nothing worked. Im new to this networking caper so I dont know what im doing.

However I just tried it on my new PB and everything works great. It just set itself up without me having to do anything. The PB just found the router for me and it worked - just liek that! So im quite impressed with D-link at the moment (i hope it lasts). Not only does it work for my PB but also my PC. So my advice is to set up your router using your mac rather than a PC.

I have read on these boards that Linksys ones seem hard to install.

This very second im connected to the net writing this message while watching The Bill on the television. Ive got 3 bars reception. I get pretty good reception throughout my house - which is a 1920s federation with thick brick walls (some double brick). I stuck the router in my Kitchen between my study (where my PC is) and my bedroom and lounge room - that way I get much greater coverage. No dropouts as yet!

D-link stuff isnt that expensive either. Im also using a wireless PCI card (DWL-G520+) on my PC to connect to the router which works well too. Better reception than the Aiport card in my PB.

One caveat: D-link tech support is crap. They are a bunch of patrionising bastards! Well in Australia they are.

Hope you find a solution.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
I have a Netgear WGR614 v4 in the center of the house. With the Dell laptop (P4M, Dell 1300 Wireless), I can get about 15 feet away. With the PB, I can get about 50 feet. With the iBook... about 120 feet. Although, when I'm that far with the iBook I need to be careful not to move around much because the signal drops drastically when walking about at that range.

But I would really recommend an Airport Express. And in fact, in a couple of minutes, I am ordering one. I'll use it when I'm at school and not around the WGR614 (and for now as an Airtunes station). The Airtunes benefit and the compactness of the AExpress is fantastic and the range is on an equal level to my Netgear (I've done the same testing for signal strength with the AExpress but it was in a different setting so the conditions wouldn't correspond well).

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
inlimbo said:
So im quite impressed with D-link at the moment (i hope it lasts).
It probably won't. D-Links have setup issues. What I mean to say is, their control panel looks like it was designed by a bunch of blind chimpanzees - once you start setting up WPA/WEP (which is necessary), upgrading firmware, etc. you'll find out.
I'm quite impressed you managed to get through to tech support, though, I gave up after waiting 30 minutes. Twice.

Having said that, my G604T is alright, in that it was the cheapest solution out there, and I've finally found the sweet spot for settings. I think I had about 2 months uptime before it crashed last.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
elevenpower said:
Today i purchased a Linksys WRT54. The service isn't as good as I hoped for, doesn't quite cover my home, so i'll probably be returning it tomorrow for something more powerfull and consistent.

Do you guys have any suggestions for wireless routers?? Ones with good range and good little to no dropped signals?
I've been happy with the WRT54G Routers that I've set up and used.

Make sure you flash update it to the latest version.

Make sure the signal strength is maxed out.

If it does not have enough signal strength for your home, this may be a problem with other wireless routers as well. You might want to get a repeater to extend the range.

Also, location is key. Metal/Rebarb/Iron can really affect the range of wireless.

Netgear makes some good products as well.

Sushi

elevenpower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Realized I was probably being a bit too harsh on the router. It works as well as other routers. I just need more range. Is there anyway I could increase the range of the router?
I've heard about Omni directional antennas and range extenders.
Any suggestions?

kg9ov

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2005
In front of a computer...
inlimbo said:
I just a few hours ago set up my D-Link DI-624+ wireless router.
...snip...
So im quite impressed with D-link at the moment (i hope it lasts).

inlimbo, best of luck to you and I hope you got a good one...

elevenpower, I personally wouldn't recommend the DI-624. There are a number of very long threads on BroadbandReports about this router and the problems many people have had with it. Many of them have a problem which causes it to constantly reboot. I have one with this problem and it is very annoying.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I use the WRT54G here as well. Great web setup interface. Works with my PB airport extreme card. Cheap too.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I've used a lot of routers over the years, and the WRT54G is the best I've come across. Linksys (imo) have the best looking ones (apart from Apple of course) and the best interface.

The WRT54G also has a fairly big selection of 3rd party firmware for it, the best of which is, in my opinion, Wifi-Box's releases.

This is the firmware that I've been using since it was released, and it's been 100% stable on me. It adds quite a few new features, one of which lets you change the transmit power.

By default, it's at 25% this lets you go all the way up to 100% However, it's recommended not to go over 50% unless you open the router up and add a fan, as it starts to overheat.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Belkin Wirelss Router 54G

I have the Belkin Wireless Router 54G. I has 4 ports for the ethernet cables (for hard wire the notebooks to the router) and also 54G compatible wireless. My HP Pavilion has the Belkin 802.11g wireless notebook network card and I have no problem keeping the connection.

My Al PB has the internal airport card pre-installed and i can connect via wireless through this router. The system configuration can be done by connecting to 192.168.2.1 and no need to install any software. It has the pass ward for adjusting the setting at 192.168.2.1 and encryption for the wireless by choosing WPA-PSK (no server). Because of this, no one except me can take a free ride with my wireless network.

My neigbhor has the netgear wireless (I can see this with my PB's airport and Havilion's network card0 and it is not secured. So, if I choose to do so, I can hop on that network free.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
I'm using a D-Link DI-514 I got back in September. It was good when my roommates and I ran 3 desktop PC's and an XBox off it. Since it I got a Powerbook and use airport around the apartment the bitrate drops off during use. The only way I found to fix it is to reset the router. I usually have to do this every other day. Its about what one can expect for 30 bucks. So far today has been good, yesterday I had to reset it twice. The price is good but the performance is definatly lacking.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
inlimbo said:
What is WPA/WEP? What is firmware and where do I get it? Sorry im new to all this.
Encryption, so only those with a passkey can connect to your router. If you're running it without, anyone can use your router if they happen to be in range. WEP is the easiest, but is little protection in the face of a determined attacker. Easy to set up though, and deters most casual surfers.

Google it, and for the love of God read the manual before messing with the D-Link control panel! I didn't, felt right stupid after I couldn't make it work ;)

Basically, firmware is the software which runs on the router. Only upgrade if you're having serious problems, it's that convoluted a process.

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
I have a WRT54G too I upgraded the firmware that does the transmit power stuff. Also I have an Airport Express that repeats the signal so it can penetrate the brick side of my house.
Here is the link that explains the setup that I used. It is a little costly to get the extra AE but now I have my whole house covered with no problems what so ever and I use the AE to stream music to the kitchen and share a printer.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
I have been using a netgear WGR614 v4 for over 6 months without a single interruption in connection. I am 70 feet away through two bathrooms (lots of pipes) and other wooden/drywalled walls. We also have other devices in the house running at 2.4ghz and they do not interfere at all. This absolutely blows the pants off of the M$ router i had at first. I got my netgear on ebay brand new in the box for 19 dollars shipped.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I have also been looking at that Belkin Pre-N since my present Belkin doesn't cover my house great.
Anyone actually got one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.