Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
with the new icloud tvshow feature that just started earlier this week is anyone removing their tv shows from their computers.

i was just looking at mine and i have over 700mb in just tv shows so it is tempting.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have over 1.5TB in just TV shows and no, I am not removing most of them. The only shows that I have removed were shows such as the Wire that I lost interest in after a season or two. Most of my shows, I download and they get copied over automatically to a second computer and this is how I make "backups" with my library being so large.

Apple has stated that it is still up the users to have backups of all purchased shows because shows in iTunes may be removed at any time. If they are pulled, you can't download them once that happens. I have many seasons that aren't available on iTunes to download. If I delete them, I can't ever get them back. Several shows on Fox have been pulled over the years as an example.

By the way, I scanned your code and it takes me to a video not found on YouTube.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I have over 1.5TB in just TV shows and no, I am not removing most of them. The only shows that I have removed were shows such as the Wire that I lost interest in after a season or two. Most of my shows, I download and they get copied over automatically to a second computer and this is how I make "backups" with my library being so large.

Apple has stated that it is still up the users to have backups of all purchased shows because shows in iTunes may be removed at any time. If they are pulled, you can't download them once that happens. I have many seasons that aren't available on iTunes to download. If I delete them, I can't ever get them back. Several shows on Fox have been pulled over the years as an example.

By the way, I scanned your code and it takes me to a video not found on YouTube.

Ha ha you i think your trying to trick me about my code :D

I thought it says all downloads may not be available at all times not that this feature would go away.

i thought some people say they have apps still in there purchase history that are no longer available.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Ha ha you i think your trying to trick me about my code :D

I thought it says all downloads may not be available at all times not that this feature would go away.

i thought some people say they have apps still in there purchase history that are no longer available.

Apple does say that show purchased may not be available forever.

Apps are a different story. Yes many of them are still available to download even though they aren't available in the store now.

Music is the same way for some, not all purchases. I have the complete Bob Dylan Collection that I can still download even though it hasn't been available in the iTunes store in some time. Years ago I had also purchased the complete U2. That is no longer available for me to download from the cloud. I also purchased the Complete Depeche Mode years ago. No longer available on iTunes, but I can still get it on the cloud.

I had purchased the Complete Led Zeppelin years ago and got a refund a few days after purchase. I can still download that on the cloud.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
This change allowed me to consolidate TV shows from being on several machines to only one and the BIG plus for me is that I can view them on :apple:TV2 without sending a WoL packet to the PC where they are...

B

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
May i ask how you store that big of itunes media?

On one computer, I have two externals connected for a total of 4TB. The other computer has one external 2TB drive. On that computer, I just have my music and my most watched TV shows and movies, stuff I don't ever want to lose such as the Office, 30 Rock, X-Files and more.

iTunes makes it easy by copying purchases back and forth.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
On one computer, I have two externals connected for a total of 4TB. The other computer has one external 2TB drive. On that computer, I just have my music and my most watched TV shows and movies, stuff I don't ever want to lose such as the Office, 30 Rock, X-Files and more.

iTunes makes it easy by copying purchases back and forth.

Cool thanks

maybe i hold on 2 them then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.